Liquor question in Barcelona

Hi, We are taking a cruise leaving out of Barcelona this summer. We will be in Barcelona 2 days pre cruise. My husband wants to buy liquor in Barcelona. Can someone tell me if the cost is a big difference than the US. He wants to buy Bourbon. And we will be staying at the Hotel Jazz.

Thanks!! :)

They may not have a good selection of bourbon everywhere in Barcelona, so if your husband has his heart set on one particular brand, he may be disappointed. One shop that's almost certain to offer some bourbon is El Corte Inglés, in Plaça de Catalunya in the centre of town. I can't speak to the liquor prices there, but their Coke Light was very reasonable. They have a website with a link to a map here.

Hi, We are taking a cruise leaving out of Barcelona this summer. We will be in Barcelona 2 days pre cruise. My husband wants to buy liquor in Barcelona. Can someone tell me if the cost is a big difference than the US. He wants to buy Bourbon. And we will be staying at the Hotel Jazz.

Thanks!! :)

I don't know which cruise line you are sailing on, but most do not allow liquor to be taken on board.

Having said that, the price of any alcohol in Spain is much less than in the US.

You can get a bottle of Bourbon for about 13 Euros ($16). You will probably not find a big selection of brands as Bourbon is not a very popular drink here in Spain. Of course, local drinks are much cheaper.

Near the top of Las Ramblas, there is a Carrefour

Rambla de los Estudios, 113

08002 Barcelona, España

Tel: +34 93 302 4824

Opening Hours:

Monday - Saturday: 10:00 - 22:00

We have found it to be the best place to buy liquor, wine, snacks and other essentials in Central Barcelona. They also have a pharmacy (For fresh fruit there's also a colorful local market practically next door - that you don't want to miss). .

Carrefour is a European discount chain. And they do not "price gouge" like ALL of the other inner city businesses in the tourist area.

BUT, they will not have a huge selection of bourbons. You'll find the basic brands popular in Europe, as well as Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey.

Near the top of Las Ramblas, there is a Carrefour

Rambla de los Estudios, 113

08002 Barcelona, España

Tel: +34 93 302 4824

Opening Hours:

Monday - Saturday: 10:00 - 22:00

We have found it to be the best place to buy liquor, wine, snacks and other essentials in Central Barcelona. They also have a pharmacy (For fresh fruit there's also a colorful local market practically next door - that you don't want to miss). .

Carrefour is a European discount chain. And they do not "price gouge" like ALL of the other inner city businesses in the tourist area.

BUT, they will not have a huge selection of bourbons. You'll find the basic brands popular in Europe, as well as Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey.

Do they sell Stoli Orange Vodka?

• 4 weeks later...

Carrefour is a French supermarket chain. They bought out one of the large Spanish chains a few years ago.

I don't know if they sell Orange Vodka, but will certainly have vodka, which is quite cheap in Spain. Even cheaper if you buy their own brand.

Bourbon is drunk in Europe and they will probably have Jack Daniels, but whisky is far more popular, so they will have a good whisky choice.

Scotch whisky and French cognac are more expensive in Spain than other spirits like gin, vodka, rum etc.

Carrefour is a French supermarket chain. They bought out one of the large Spanish chains a few years ago.

I don't know if they sell Orange Vodka, but will certainly have vodka, which is quite cheap in Spain. Even cheaper if you buy their own brand.

Bourbon is drunk in Europe and they will probably have Jack Daniels, but whisky is far more popular, so they will have a good whisky choice.

Scotch whisky and French cognac are more expensive in Spain than other spirits like gin, vodka, rum etc.

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, it is a Tennessee Sipping Whiskey.

Our cruise ship allows you to bring liquer on board. We buy both wine and spirits in the local supermarket in Barcelona. El Cortes Ingles also has alcohol but it is more expensive than the supermarket. The local markets sell both wine and hard liquer. The wine is very inexpensive and the best deal is to buy locally produced wine. I buy cava which is a local sparkling wine for a pittance. My husband purchases is scotch and it is cheaper than the U.S. Just ask you hotel where the closest supermarket is or walk around and pop in when you locate a supermercado.

Our cruise ship allows you to bring liquer on board. We buy both wine and spirits in the local supermarket in Barcelona. El Cortes Ingles also has alcohol but it is more expensive than the supermarket. The local markets sell both wine and hard liquer. The wine is very inexpensive and the best deal is to buy locally produced wine. I buy cava which is a local sparkling wine for a pittance. My husband purchases is scotch and it is cheaper than the U.S. Just ask you hotel where the closest supermarket is or walk around and pop in when you locate a supermercado.

What cruise line is that? I didn't think any line allowed spirits.

What cruise line is that? I didn't think any line allowed spirits.

Oceania. You must consume it in your cabin and everyone adheres to the policy. If you bring the wine bottle you purchased on shore and take it to the dining venues then you get charged a corkage fee for opening that bottle.

Just returned from Celebrity Solstice out of Barcelona. Between security and the ship, you pass Duty-Free shops. We were told that you can purchase 2 bottles per cabin. We purchased 4 bottles of wine and a bottle of Brandy as we had 2 cabins. No one asked what cabin we were in, so it must be an on your honor system. Put them right in our carry-on and consumed them in our cabins with no problem.

Noticed coming back on the ship from the ports that the rules depended on who was working. We were able to carry on an open bottle of local beer as we boarded the ship while others were asked to finish it before going thru security. Thought that was sad as it was just single bottle of open beer. Unopened liquor was usually confiscated until end of cruise.

Just returned from Celebrity Solstice out of Barcelona. Between security and the ship, you pass Duty-Free shops. We were told that you can purchase 2 bottles per cabin. We purchased 4 bottles of wine and a bottle of Brandy as we had 2 cabins. No one asked what cabin we were in, so it must be an on your honor system. Put them right in our carry-on and consumed them in our cabins with no problem.

Noticed coming back on the ship from the ports that the rules depended on who was working. We were able to carry on an open bottle of local beer as we boarded the ship while others were asked to finish it before going thru security. Thought that was sad as it was just single bottle of open beer. Unopened liquor was usually confiscated until end of cruise.

Does anyone know if RCCL's Serenade of the Seas allow this? We will be on her in October sailing out of Barcelona.

Archived