Cunard Captains

Cunard Cruiser

Did a little research over on the Princess boards and came up with some information on at least one British Captain from the Princess fleet.

Captain Tony Herriott has helmed the Island Princess perhaps he will do the some aboard one of the Queens.

http://image28.webshots.com/29/9/9/5/260090905MzUzHx_fs.jpg

Cruiserking

Are you sure that this transfer is a demotion? In the corporate world, staff moving up the ladder are often transferred to "lesser" companies to familiarize them with many areas of the corporation. Perhaps he's being primed to move to an eventual higher position within the corporation.:confused:

P.S. Maybe he is being primed for Concierge of the hotel "Floating Condo"?

Sorry, forgot to post my name. I'm MaryKay and I traveled with my mum. She remember I think because I am friends with Dolly.

So you join Cunard in Dec. Why the long wait?

I am just finishing my A Levels in the last year of school and the White Star course begins either in April or September, so I had to wait until the September one, meaning I'll be joining one of the ships in December, if all goes to plan.

YoungQE2Cruiser - I'm just a couple of months older than you (also sitting those dreaded A-Levels in a few weeks :( ) and have just been accepted by P&O Princess as a Navigation Cadet. Im off to Southampton in September, and there is a strong possibility that at some point I may serve on a Cunard ship, so I look forward to perhaps sailing with you sometime! If you ever wanted to drop a line or have any questions, my email is aph3012@msn.com. Most of all though, BEST OF LUCK (and particulary for the bloody exams!!!) :D

I’m not an employee of Carnival/Princess. I can’t think of any comments I’ve written that would give you this idea. I have worked in large corporations and know that they do shuffle people around, so that they will gain experience on all levels to familiarize them with many aspects of the corporation.

Terrible things can happen after corporate purchases. In the Detroit area, we’ve seen Daimler fire rather than demote many Chrysler executives after they purchased Chrysler. Krekorian, a large stockholder of original Chrysler stock, insists that it was a takeover and not a merger. Or could these captains be victims of the “50 years+ discrimination” that has happened within so many U.S. corporations? Quite often they transfer employees to an undesirable position hoping that they will resign.

On my one and only trip on QE2 on a crossing on 9/19/03, we dined in the Mauritania and saw the captain one time, and it was at the “meet and greet” reception. He was Scottish. Is he perhaps one of the men you’ve mentioned who are demoted? We had impeccable service and hope that it will be the same on the QM2 12/8/05 Caribbean cruise. However, after reading this message board, am I the only one becoming a little apprehensive about our trip and the potential hassles awaiting us?

I hope that Captain McNaught's departure from QE2 has nothing to do with various unfortunate events that happened during the World Cruise, such as the assault on the crew member & stealing by intruders that took place in Fremantle, and the criminal damage by crew members that took place outside Southampton. I do not think he should be held responsible for the actions of such persons, and I am sure he did his best to maintain order at all times.

There is no doubt about it, Princess is determined to destroy Cunard's British traditions. This is something I had suspected since the takeover, and speaking with some of the traditional Cunard staff, it has been confirmed.

I am so upset that they removed Captain McNaught. I had the pleasure of dining at his table a couple of years ago, and found him to be the perfect Captain. He absolutely loved his job as Captain of QE2. I am completely disgusted with Princess, and the person at the helm, whom I shall not name (don't want to be deleted).

I only wish there was something that could be done to stop this relentless bulldozing of Cunard, and what many who work there belive extends to traditional British culture in general.

If only some wealthy Brit could buy Cunard to stop this destruction.

Perhaps the good will win in the end, one always hopes.

I received a letter today from the Blackpool College who I was going to do the White Star course with that says that they no longer are in conjunction with Cunard and unfortunately the course will no longer go ahead. However, my details have been passed direct to Cunard, but thats not my point. My point here is that it now looks like we are no longer running White Star Academy courses in the UK, so do you think this could also be something to do with Princess as well?

There is no doubt about it, Princess is determined to destroy Cunard's British traditions. This is something I had suspected since the takeover, and speaking with some of the traditional Cunard staff, it has been confirmed.

I am so upset that they removed Captain McNaught. I had the pleasure of dining at his table a couple of years ago, and found him to be the perfect Captain. He absolutely loved his job as Captain of QE2. I am completely disgusted with Princess, and the person at the helm, whom I shall not name (don't want to be deleted).

I only wish there was something that could be done to stop this relentless bulldozing of Cunard, and what many who work there belive extends to traditional British culture in general.

If only some wealthy Brit could buy Cunard to stop this destruction.

Perhaps the good will win in the end, one always hopes.

My favorite daydream: Carnival Corp today announced Sir Richard Branson is buying Cunard Line. Branson declares he will return Cunard to all British operation. Branson also announced plans for a newbuild with a design speed of 45 knots. The new ship is to be named The Virgin Queen.

Maybe, who knows?

Jim.

Well I've emailed Cunard and am waiting for a response. If not, I will ring them next week. If nothing comes of it, I'll be very disappointed. It is just really out of the blue because I spoke to the college about two weeks ago and everything was fine then.

"As far as I know White Star Academy courses are held on board. I saw them all trooping round the deck of the QE2 together 2 weeks ago."-- There is White Star Training on board, but thats for people with experience already or ones that come on after their training course here in the UK.

Looks like I'll have a lot of phoning around to do next week. Hopefully it'll all work out.

I'm just a browser over on these Cunard boards occasionally and I've been reading how distraught Cunard cruisers are over the 'swapping' of Captains between lines.

First I'd like to ask why it never crossed anyone's mind that the captains you are mourning the loss of, may have actually wanted a change?? In most businesses of any kind, if an employee of that stature doesn't want to be moved...they get to stay where they are.

Also, in my eyes the Captain of ANY ship on ANY line has a huge responsibility and whether he is in charge of a Carnival ship..or a Cunard, he is due respect. I really dislike the way the Captains of other ships are being treated as if they were Captain Crunch on these boards. I find it highly distasteful. The snobbery over here is just unbelievable.

First I'd like to ask why it never crossed anyone's mind that the captains you are mourning the loss of, may have actually wanted a change?? Also, in my eyes the Captain of ANY ship on ANY line has a huge responsibility and whether he is in charge of a Carnival ship..or a Cunard, The snobbery over here is just unbelievable.

Halos, you are quite correct that we don't know the views of the Captains involved, all we have are the reported reactions of their fellow officers, and responses of passengers who have sailed with them.

You are also quite correct that the responsibility for any of these large ships in terms of both capital and lives is enormous. There is, however, a strong lay impression, however well founded or not, that running the 'Atlantic Ferry' has different challenges to running the 'Caribbean Ferry' and the skills required may differ. I suspect any of the seniour captains would be perfectly capable of doing either (bearing in mind that a lot of the sailing is done by the Staff Captain in any case). Whether the ships are equally capable has been ably demonstrated by the Golden Princess's delayed departure on one of her two annual Trans Atlantic 'cruises' because of 'heavy seas'.:eek:

So is this board simply populated by bigots and snobs as your post appears to imply, or is there something else going on? Having chatted with many of them over the years I strongly favour the latter over the former. I suspect there is considerable fear of change (which is inevitable) and that in making a lot of changes for the better, Princess will get a few wrong.

Whether this is one of the ones they have got wrong I personally doubt, as I have read it as a 'secondment' i.e. temporary transfer, rather than these captains sinking without trace forever into the Princess pool.

However, for a line marketed on 'Heritage' or 'Legacy' Princess should be fearlessly held to account for all changes - and if their love of the line occassionally leads posters to express their views more trenchantly than you find comfortable - there are a lot worse problems Cunard could have - mainly nobody caring anymore.

Peter

So is this board simply populated by bigots and snobs as your post appears to imply, or is there something else going on? Having chatted with many of them over the years I strongly favour the latter over the former. I suspect there is considerable fear of change (which is inevitable) and that in making a lot of changes for the better, Princess will get a few wrong.

Whether this is one of the ones they have got wrong I personally doubt, as I have read it as a 'secondment' i.e. temporary transfer, rather than these captains sinking without trace forever into the Princess pool.

However, for a line marketed on 'Heritage' or 'Legacy' Princess should be fearlessly held to account for all changes - and if their love of the line occassionally leads posters to express their views more trenchantly than you find comfortable - there are a lot worse problems Cunard could have - mainly nobody caring anymore.

Peter

I must apologize for the snob comment. I have to admit that it upsets me enough to see cruise passengers of other lines put down...but seeing the Captains of other ships put down seemed to just put me over the edge there.

I do understand the frustration here to some extent. Cruising is changing across the board. Traditional cruises are swiftly becoming a thing of the past on all lines. This is due to many things...most of which I believe is the change in passenger demographics.

The cruise industry is now advertising itself as the family vacation. The days of cruises as the ultimate in class and relaxation are going to be all but over very soon. People seem to be unable to sit with themselves these days unless there is something to occupy them.....society has created a world full of over stimulated people/children...and this is who is filling up the cabins on the ships on ALL lines.

I must say that I am envious of all of you who were able to experience cruising as it should be. At least you'll have the memory of it. I began cruising as the changes started and have never been able to experience a cruise the way it's meant to be. Just when I finally get to the point in my life where I can do this....everything changed around me and now it seems that the cruise lines want to bring 'land' onto the ships. Some are just amusement parks that float.

It is truly sad.

That being said, I still hope that in the future the Captains of other ships are given the respect due them on these boards.

Traditional cruises are swiftly becoming a thing of the past on all lines. People seem to be unable to sit with themselves these days unless there is something to occupy them..I must say that I am envious of all of you who were able to experience cruising as it should be.

Halos, have you considered the Norwegian Coastal Ferry, Hurtigruten? The modern ships have all the functional passenger ameneties (cabins, dining, viewing lounges) without all the ballyhoo - and the scenery is second to none - and no one to chivy you into going along to the Mr & Mrs Quiz. The only downside is that being domestic Norwegian alcohol is ruinously expensive.....its enough to drive one to drink....only.....

Peter

I'm just a browser over on these Cunard boards occasionally and I've been reading how distraught Cunard cruisers are over the 'swapping' of Captains between lines.

First I'd like to ask why it never crossed anyone's mind that the captains you are mourning the loss of, may have actually wanted a change?? In most businesses of any kind, if an employee of that stature doesn't want to be moved...they get to stay where they are.

Also, in my eyes the Captain of ANY ship on ANY line has a huge responsibility and whether he is in charge of a Carnival ship..or a Cunard, he is due respect. I really dislike the way the Captains of other ships are being treated as if they were Captain Crunch on these boards. I find it highly distasteful. The snobbery over here is just unbelievable.

The fact is, QE2 is unlike any other ship, and so it should be. Any Captain of QE2 would likely prefer to stay Captain of QE2, unless possibly they had been Captain for many many years, but even then. Comparing QE2 to any ordinary cruise line is not realistic. It's not snobbery, just fact. I highly doubt any Captain of QE2 would be happy switching to some Princess cruise ship, or that they would consider it anything but a huge step down. Sorry.

Some like to think that everything should be exactly the same in life, but in reality there are differences. If all wines were the same, or all food were of the same quality, there would be no Cordon Bleu chefs, only fast food joints.

The fact is, QE2 is unlike any other ship, and so it should be. Any Captain of QE2 would likely prefer to stay Captain of QE2, unless possibly they had been Captain for many many years, but even then. Comparing QE2 to any ordinary cruise line is not realistic. It's not snobbery, just fact. I highly doubt any Captain of QE2 would be happy switching to some Princess cruise ship, or that they would consider it anything but a huge step down. Sorry.

Some like to think that everything should be exactly the same in life, but in reality there are differences. If all wines were the same, or all food were of the same quality, there would be no Cordon Bleu chefs, only fast food joints.

I agree with most of what you have stated but I still think it highly presumptuous to assume that a human being...even if that being is the Captain of 'a ship like no other', might not want a change of venue.

It is a possibility and many don't want to look at it because of the feeling of Cunard superiority.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that just because YOU wouldn't switch lines, does not mean that the man who has Captained this amazing ship after many years isn't ready for a change. Of course I don't know this for sure, but to not look at the possibilities is rather small minded.

One thing I do know is that I don't believe for one minute the Captain of the QE2 qould be as blatantly disresectful of any Captain from any ship as what I have seen here. There is a pride among these fine men and a brotherhood that would not tolerate all these demeaning posts. I really don't think they'd think too highly of the posters here who belittle their comrades.

Until you've spoken to these 'switched' captains yourself, please don't assume anything.

I happen to know one of the Princess captains that has been selected to go to QM2 next year. You had better hold on to your hats. He isn't British! In fact he is a New Zealander, but lives here in Sydney. I have known him for a few years and have sailed with him on several cruises. He has been with P&O for the past thirty years. Likewise I have known Ian Mc Naught for about twenty years and have sailed with him many times. Both are great captains and in fact are very similar in character. Whatever Princess ship Ian goes to he will be an asset and likewise the Princess captain will be an asset to QM2.

There are NOT demotions in spite of what some may think. Cunard as a seperate operating company has ceased to exist. The staff who were employed exclusively for Cunard are now part of a larger operation ,ie Princess. You cannot leave one or two staff members serving on the same ship year after year. It is not healthy. The Cunard guys were forced into that situation for many years by virtue of the fact that Cunard only had one or two ships. Now they are part of a larger fleet with greatly expanded opportunities. In the past, junior officers on Cunard ships had to wait for 'dead men's shoes' to get promotion, now within Princess promotion will be more timely.

Just having a Princess captain on board QM2 or QE2 does not mean that suddenly the ship will drastically change in any way. It will be a different voice over the PA system and that is all. To 99.99% of the passengers it won't make the slightest difference... even if they know. What it will mean is that behind the scenes, Princess fleet operating proceedures will be adopted and if you happen to think that Princess proceedures are in any way inferior to what Cunard you would be sadly mistaken.

Stephen

Once again, as is so often the case on these boards, everyone is making some fine points on this particular topic.

I don't think that most contributors are intending to be disrespectful and/or insulting to the captains of any other captains. Nevertheless, the implicit point is very well taken that we don't really make our point or position stronger by demeaning others....

Having said that, I think what all of us devoted Cunard veterans are saying is that, with all due respect to the rest of the world, there is very little left in the world of maritime affairs like the "Queen Elizabeth 2", and the traditions that she upholds. (Yes, QM2 is what she is, but she is new, has yet to establish her own tradition, and is -by design- different than QE2. QE2 herself was/is different from "Queen Mary", "Queen Elizabeth", "United States", "Normandie".....). The traditions are wonderful, and to be admired. We are hopeful that changes won't be for the worse.

The problem with so many of the cruise lines these days is that they themselves present/market/hype a "gonzo/rock n' roll/party 'til you drop/wallclimbing" type of atmosphere....(see Carnival and Royal Caribbean, in particular)...Yes, indeed there is market for this, a hugh market actually...but it's hard to compare that to Cunard or even P&O with their respective histories and traditions.

I know that Holland America and Princess are much more refined that all of that stuff...

But I think like alot of things in life, there is a hierarchy. Cunard is (and has been) a traditional, elegant, refined British ocean liner firm for well over 150 years. I think it's fair to argue that Cunard is on the high end, while something like Carnival is on the "low" end, i.e. a mass market approach. It is what it is.

There is so much (as an American I'll only talk about the USA) in our country that has been down-graded, "casual Friday-ed down", dumbed-down in our society. I think we Cunard fans are justifiably proud of what Cunard is: an elegant experience, with a history of arguably the greatest liners in history. Captains like Messrs. Wright and McNaught command Ocean Liners that can handle tough Atlantic weather, can sail at 30+ knots....these are unique ships and unique captains. Yes, Carnival captains have large responsibilites, and many lives to care for....but I don't think it's quite the same thing.

People are fearful that Carnival will take/is in the process of taking away many of the wonderful things that have made Cunard so wonderful.

My wife and I are booked for this coming January's QE2 westbound transatlantic crossing. I feel like the luckiest person on the earth !!

Tom

Archived