Seasick

kr9457

All natural ... no meds ... GINGER PILLS ! !

Ginger is a natural remedy.

My suggestion is 7 days before you start your cruise, begin to take 1 pill every day (at the same time every day) .. then the day before you start the cruise take 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill in the evening. And the next day do the same, then switch back to the 1 a day.

It worked for me, and have been religious about adhering to this "prescription" for years ..

Keeping the ginger in my system is a necessity for me.

We also take ginger pills. We start the day before and take one with every meal. My husband gets real seasick and this has worked for him for all 8 of our cruises. Also a waiter on our first cruise told me to eat something...I thought he was crazy when he brought me a shrimp cocktail....but it worked. He told me to avoid to much liquids! Finished my meal and felt great!

People react to medications differently, so you might want to test what you decide to take before you go. The ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine and I've purchased it under that name as well. My husband gets very seasick and has had good success taking Bonine/Meclizine. He starts taking is a day or two before the cruise to get it in his system then take it twice a day during the cruise. Works for him.

Same thing makes me very drowsy, so I only take it at bedtime if I take it at all as I don't ususally get seasick unless it's really rocking. I've also had success using ginger as there are no side affects with that, but it doesn't work so well for hubby.

It is a very good idea to take drugs as a test to see how they make you feel before you get on a ship and take them. I once told a passenger that if they were feeling bad to take off the transderm patch and they felt much better.

These are just my personal thoughts on management of seasickness and not in any way an official decleration.

Seasickness results from the over stimulation of the semicircular canals and a constant attempt by the body to right itself. The constant motion of the ship in all directions stimulates the nerves in the semicircular canals telling the body to respond with muscles to maintain it in a stationary position.

On a ship or boat the effect is mostly felt when there is a combination of pitch and roll so on a fishing boat that is stopped in water with a pitch and roll sea one has the highest incidence of getting seasick. When a small fishing vessel is moving it limits some of the roll and pitch.

On cruise ships most all have the roll inhibited by the stabilizers, but if the swells and the ships length are not in sink, then a great deal of pitch happens. All roll cannot be prevented in certain seas.

I think there may be some help to position when one goes to bed with seasickness. If you feel bad when you are in bed lying down parallel to the long axis of the ship then change and sleep at a right angle or cross the ships beam. See if you can find out which position is most comfortable. It depends on which semi-circular canal is being most stimulated.

Can seasickness be prevented and or treated.. Well to some degree relief can be obtained.

Preventative measures—these should be the methods that should have very few complications to the treatment such as Ginger in cookie or candy form. Wrist bands for acupressure sometimes help. This may be a way of confusing the brain with another stimulus to inhibit the semi-circular canal stimulus to the brain.

If one is absolutely sure that they are going to get seasick then they will. I guess they are the ones that should think about taking preventive drugs. I would use the low complication things before using drugs prophylactically. Remember the treatment can sometimes be worse than the disease.

The old saying is “First do no harm”.

1.Antihistamines—Dramamine, Bonine, Antivert, Dramamine II (has a stimulant) Marezine, Marazine, Benadryl, Meclizine or Meclozine, Cyclizine—Usually all sedative to some degree or the other and all depends on the individual’s response. Some tablets have combinations with stimulants in them to attempt to counteract the sedative effect, but if you feel sick go to bed and sleep. These medications are given as pills.

2. Phenothiazines—Thorazine and Phenergan—very sedative type drugs even more than the antihistamines. Can be give as tablets or shots. Shots more powerful and will sedate you. Phenergan can be obtained (by prescription) in a small syringe to be applied to the wrist as a topical rubbed in for slow skin absorption used for anti-emetic and sedative effect.

3. Anti-cholinergics (by prerscription)—Scopolamine –Transderm Scope and Scopace Tablets. Mererzine tablets (different spelling than Marazine)—

These also have a sedative effect. Scopolamine used to be used as a pre-operative sedative medication in a shot form. Side effects can be blurred vision, difficulty voiding (urinating), constipation and dry mouth.

With the transderm scope one has to be careful when putting the patch on. If any medication gets on the fingers and one rubs the eyes the pupil will dilate and may cause blurring of vision which can make one sick.

Scopace is a scopolamine tablet and is my choice for seasickness not cured by other things. One tablet and go to bed and usually wake up better. Another tablet could be taken in 6 hours. If needed. I just don’t like putting the patch on and having drug on board if the seasickness has passed.

All drugs are trying to sedate the over response of the nerve endings in the semicircular canals of the ear that is causing the seasickness. A side effect is to sedate the whole patient.

3. Anti-cholinergics (by prerscription)—Scopolamine –Transderm Scope and Scopace Tablets. Mererzine tablets (different spelling than Marazine)—

These also have a sedative effect. Scopolamine used to be used as a pre-operative sedative medication in a shot form. Side effects can be blurred vision, difficulty voiding (urinating), constipation and dry mouth.

With the transderm scope one has to be careful when putting the patch on. If any medication gets on the fingers and one rubs the eyes the pupil will dilate and may cause blurring of vision which can make one sick.

It is Trans Derm Scop

These are just my personal thoughts on management of seasickness and not in any way an official decleration.

Seasickness results from the over stimulation of the semicircular canals and a constant attempt by the body to right itself. The constant motion of the ship in all directions stimulates the nerves in the semicircular canals telling the body to respond with muscles to maintain it in a stationary position.

On a ship or boat the effect is mostly felt when there is a combination of pitch and roll so on a fishing boat that is stopped in water with a pitch and roll sea one has the highest incidence of getting seasick. When a small fishing vessel is moving it limits some of the roll and pitch.

On cruise ships most all have the roll inhibited by the stabilizers, but if the swells and the ships length are not in sink, then a great deal of pitch happens. All roll cannot be prevented in certain seas.

I think there may be some help to position when one goes to bed with seasickness. If you feel bad when you are in bed lying down parallel to the long axis of the ship then change and sleep at a right angle or cross the ships beam. See if you can find out which position is most comfortable. It depends on which semi-circular canal is being most stimulated.

Can seasickness be prevented and or treated.. Well to some degree relief can be obtained.

Preventative measures—these should be the methods that should have very few complications to the treatment such as Ginger in cookie or candy form. Wrist bands for acupressure sometimes help. This may be a way of confusing the brain with another stimulus to inhibit the semi-circular canal stimulus to the brain.

If one is absolutely sure that they are going to get seasick then they will. I guess they are the ones that should think about taking preventive drugs. I would use the low complication things before using drugs prophylactically. Remember the treatment can sometimes be worse than the disease.

The old saying is “First do no harm”.

1.Antihistamines—Dramamine, Bonine, Antivert, Dramamine II (has a stimulant) Marezine, Marazine, Benadryl, Meclizine or Meclozine, Cyclizine—Usually all sedative to some degree or the other and all depends on the individual’s response. Some tablets have combinations with stimulants in them to attempt to counteract the sedative effect, but if you feel sick go to bed and sleep. These medications are given as pills.

2. Phenothiazines—Thorazine and Phenergan—very sedative type drugs even more than the antihistamines. Can be give as tablets or shots. Shots more powerful and will sedate you. Phenergan can be obtained (by prescription) in a small syringe to be applied to the wrist as a topical rubbed in for slow skin absorption used for anti-emetic and sedative effect.

Scopace is a scopolamine tablet and is my choice for seasickness not cured by other things. One tablet and go to bed and usually wake up better. Another tablet could be taken in 6 hours. If needed. I just don’t like putting the patch on and having drug on board if the seasickness has passed.

All drugs are trying to sedate the over response of the nerve endings in the semicircular canals of the ear that is causing the seasickness. A side effect is to sedate the whole patient.

there is another very good drug that is not available in the US, but is available everywhere else in the world.

betahistine dihydrochloride.

it's used against the symptoms of meniere's disease, however, even if you don't have meniere's it can be very effective against vertigo and motion sickness..

i take it every day (and have taken it every day for the past 16 years)...

i didn't take anything else on our cruises and i was fine. Of course, this doesn't mean that it necessarily was because of the medicine....absence of seasickness does not prove effectiveness...

but for those of you coming from outside the US, it's an option to consider as it has absolutely no sedative effects whatsoever...

there is another very good drug that is not available in the US, but is available everywhere else in the world.

betahistine dihydrochloride.

it's used against the symptoms of meniere's disease, however, even if you don't have meniere's it can be very effective against vertigo and motion sickness..

i take it every day (and have taken it every day for the past 16 years)...

i didn't take anything else on our cruises and i was fine. Of course, this doesn't mean that it necessarily was because of the medicine....absence of seasickness does not prove effectiveness...

but for those of you coming from outside the US, it's an option to consider as it has absolutely no sedative effects whatsoever...

I guess we would park it in the Antihistamine group. Thanks for the upodate. I see it has been around outside the US since about 1970. One might think that there is no sedative effect on you since you have adapted to it, but one not used to taking it might get some slight sedative effect. Maybe someone that always gets seasick should try this for about one week before a cruise and might not get any sedative effects while on the cruise.

I guess we would park it in the Antihistamine group. Thanks for the upodate. I see it has been around outside the US since about 1970. One might think that there is no sedative effect on you since you have adapted to it, but one not used to taking it might get some slight sedative effect. Maybe someone that always gets seasick should try this for about one week before a cruise and might not get any sedative effects while on the cruise.

yes, it's been around for years..

when i was first prescribed it i was leery as it's not been ok'd by the FDA.

so i called the FDA to find out why it's not available in the US.

Turns out when it first came out it did receive FDA approval, but then the FDA determined that some of the testing had been falsified, so the approval was removed.

In the meantime, the drug has been in use worldwide and found to be very safe and extraordinarily effective against meniere's (really the only drug that is truly effective against meniere's and meniere's like symptoms)..

but to regain FDA approval would require a huge investment in re-testing, something no drug company is going to do so many years after the patent has already run out.

so americans are sort of out of luck (though i would guess it's probably available from canada if you can get a prescription).

in any case, it's a miracle drug. i wouldn't have been able to continue my life without it :)

When out in the Pacific you rock and roll

I brought Bonine and gave to anyone in my gang who wanted...a few got seasick...you must take it before

Some had seabands and some had the patch and were ok

one guy was going to tough it out and he did get sick, then took Bonine and was ok later on

I personally was fine, enjoyed the ride, or didn't feel it..but...I started

cruising before they had stabilizers and I have also been on tuna boats, drift fish boats, went on a small boat to out islands, and rocked and rolled on the (now gone) gambling boats to Freeport

If you get seasick, take precautions in Pacific JMO

it was not near as bad as some say on our cruise however JMO

Archived