Anchorage dining and shopping?

CruzerKat

I was looking at the Anchorage.net site for restuarants.

We will be in Anchorage just for the late afternoon and evening and staying near the airport in order to fly home the next morning, so we will have to take a cab to where ever. If we have time we would like to go to an area for some shopping and definetly dinner. I noticed on the site it was broken down by airport area, downtown, midtown, etc.

Here are some places I pulled off the site:

Downtown

Alaska Salmon Chowder House

Phyllis's Cafe and salmon bake

Orso

Near Airport

Gwennies Old Alaska

Flying Machine in Millenium Alaska Hotel

Kincaid Grill

Can anyone make some comments on these or reccomendations on places to eat and a shopping area maybe even all in one.

We like seafood and steaks etc.

If you want to try an authentic Alaskan Steak House you must try Club Paris. My wifes family lives in Anchorage and we go twice a year. It is where the real alaskans go for a good meal. It is on 5th avenue across the street from the dowtown mall. It is also in easy walking distance to 4th street were all the shops are located.

I highly recommend the Glacier Brewhouse. You can look up their website for more information. Also, their deserts are awsome, and I rarely order desserts, but theirs were a must. I always ordered their salmon, very good.

Yeah I knew the name had "berry" in it.

Anyway for shopping I kind of liked the Anchorage Mall. Especially if the weather's yucky. It's right there, downtown, next to all the other shopping+restaurants. And convenient to the reindeer sausage. :p (sorry Rudolph)

My vote is for the Brewhouse. I have had some not too good food in Simon and Seiforts. The mellinium hotel near the Airport has good food, and it is the host hotel for the Iditarod. They have lots of mounted animals. It is great to sit outside on the deck in the summer and watch the floatplanes land and take off. We always stop there when we have guests that fly in. I like Sulivan's much better than Cafe Paris. I know that it is an old Anchorage "smokie Joe" type place but if I am going to pay $28-30 for a steak with no sidedishes attached to it, I want more than oilcloth on the table. The last 2 times I have been there the staks were overcooked and had to be sent back. Try Sacks......That is also an excellent place downtown.

RYPERO: I have a question since your wife's family live in Anchorage. After our cruise, we only have one day have to sightsee. We leave for the airport at 11:00 PM Can you tell me the best sights in see in that short of time. WE don't want to rent a car. We are staying at the clarion suites. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We've eaten at both Orso's and Club Paris. Excellent food at both. Will only have time to eat at one of them this trip and we're having a hard time ourselves deciding which one to go back to. The food at the Crow's Nest on top of the Hotel Captain Cook was good and the view was outstanding. You really pay for the view.

If memory serves me right, there were two stores in one building, where the big mongo chocolate fountain was: the sourdough thing and the Alaska Berry. And then right across from that was the restaurant.

P.s. Don't eat the chocolate. :p

Was this place called Alaskan Wild Berry?

The Alaska Wild Berry is the gift store, while the Sourdough Mining Company right across the street is the restaurant.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I was looking at the Anchorage.net site for restuarants.

We will be in Anchorage just for the late afternoon and evening and staying near the airport in order to fly home the next morning, so we will have to take a cab to where ever. If we have time we would like to go to an area for some shopping and definetly dinner. I noticed on the site it was broken down by airport area, downtown, midtown, etc.

Here are some places I pulled off the site:

Downtown

Alaska Salmon Chowder House

Phyllis's Cafe and salmon bake

Orso

Near Airport

Gwennies Old Alaska

Flying Machine in Millenium Alaska Hotel

Kincaid Grill

Can anyone make some comments on these or reccomendations on places to eat and a shopping area maybe even all in one.

We like seafood and steaks etc.

If you want to dine then I'd look at Orso downtown or the Flying Machine and Kincaid Grill near airport. FYI you're probably looking at +$27 entrees.

Haven't had experience with Alaska Salmon or Phyllis' but Gwennie's is a good local price and you get huge servings for your money.

Another good steak and seafood restaurants is Simon & Seaforts but again when we got and have drinks, appetizers, meals and desserts with tip you're looking at $50 a person.

Again Club Paris, Glacier Brewhouse are also good restaurants.

Actually we have lots of good local restaurants and I've tried most of them :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Yet ANOTHER vote for the Glacier Brewhouse!! It is awsome and the food and atmosphere is to die for!!! You can't go wrong there!! Plus the menu has all sorts of fish, steaks and pasta's on it so there is really something for every taste!! :)

Archived