Seattle to Glacier Bay

Boobaby

Can anyone tell me the ususal route from Seattle to Glacier Bay? Or at least out of the Seattle Area? I am wondering what we will see in the first few hours of our cruise. Also what will we see the next day? I am so excited about taking our first cruise AND going to Alaska that I find myself needing to know every little detail! Less than 2 months now!!!!!

After leaving Elliott Bay in Seattle, you will head north on Puget Sound for about 40 miles and then turn to the northwest and enter the Staight of Juan de Fuca. At about mile 60 you may be able to see Victoria BC in the distance on the right side. As you progress thru the Straights, Vancouver Island will be on your right and the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State on your left. Port Angeles is the largest city you will see on the left. At the end of the Olympic Peninsula is Cape Flattery, which is the northwestern most point in the lower 48 states. This is about 120 miles from Seattle so you should be there about 6 hours after leaving Seattle. You will then head out into the open ocean. Vancouver Island will continue to be on your right side and may or may not be visible depending on how far out you are. The northern tip of of Vancouver Island is at about mile 330 so you should be there mid morning of the next day. You will then head into Queen Charlotte Sound.

There are several different routes from that point. A great map and book that I would recommend is the Princess Alaska Cruise Companion book.

Boobaby, at the north end of Queen Charlotte Sound is Hecate Straight which is the body of water between the Queen Charlotte Islands (QC) to the west and the British Columbia to the east. Since there are several possible routes, I don't know if you will be able to see the QC or not. Hecate Straight appears to be anywhere from 25-50 miles wide. Since your first stop is Glacier Bay, there are several routes...you could go up the west side of the QC, directly up Hecate Straight or you may actually go between some of the British Columbia islands and join Hecate Staight further north. If you haven't already done so, you may want to check the HAL board and see if anyone knows what route the Amsterdam took last year. In any event, the south tip of the QC is at about mile 425 which would be about 20 hours after you leave Seattle. The north tip is at about mile 600 or 30 hours out of Seattle which would be around midnight. Given that you are travelling just after the summer solstice...it shouldn't be much past dark at that point!

Archived