Legend Suites and Smoking Policy

scf1270

Hello,

Researching Seabourn for the first time, and would love some advice/input.

All of our experience has been on Celebrity, and so not familiar with ships of this size.

--Within the A1, A2, and B3 categories are there suites you would specifically recommend or avoid?

--Smoking appears to be allowed in all suites. Is this accurate?

In what outdoor areas is it allowed/prohibited?

--Comparisons between Suite accommodations on Celebrity vs. A or B category on Seabourn?

--Are there any other luxury lines you would recommend for a 7 day Caribbean cruise around February, 2013?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sara

Hi Sara,

I can't make any comparisons for you between Seabourn and Celebrity but I can tell you about the Legend. We have sailed on her twice, most recently 16 days in the Med. We also did a Caribbean cruise in 2011 which had a similar itinerary to the ones that are offered in Feb. 2013.

The regular rooms on the Legend are 277 sq ft and have a large bathroom, walk-in closet, plenty of space for stowing stuff and a comfortable sofa and chairs. We have been in B2 on Deck 5 and A3 on 6. I actually enjoyed the French balcony in the Carib but we got a reduced rate offer on it. Not sure if I'd pay for the total. The A suites are exactly the same, except with a window and in some ways it was nicer not to have to allow for the door to be open. Some people have written that the cabins more toward the front can be a little more subject to motion, but we were in 207 and didn't have any trouble with it. The big plus on Deck 5 is the accessiblilty to the hot tub on the bow of the ship. I actually would not stay in the A3 again because I am a light sleeper and the night of the deck party can be a little noisy. It didn't bother my husband.

Smoking is allowed in all suites at this point however we have never smelled smoke in our cabin. It is also allowed on the starboard side of the deck and on one side of the lounge. There are quite a few threads regarding smoking on this board. I am very sensitive to smoke and it's never bothered me, but there have never been a large percentage of smokers on board.

We had a great time in the Carib on the Legend not only because the service, food and accomodation were flawless but also because we were able to meet so many great folks on board. In our limited experience cruising, fellow Seabourn passengers are by far the friendliest and most enjoyable we have ever met. The small size of the Legend makes it perfect for the Carib....but be advised that most of the ports will be tender ports just because there aren't docks in these smaller ports.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Unless you plan to spend your entire cruise in your suite it makes no sense to compare accommodations between SB and Celebrity because the rest of the experience is beyond compare. Do you prefer a large suite in a Sheraton or a smaller room in a Four Seasons?

Hooiser74 - Thank you for a very informative and helpful reply.

Wripro - Having only sailed on Celebrity, I am asking as a point of reference.

Thank you both for your replies, and please feel free to add any information you think would be helpful!

Sara

Sara, Having sailed on both Celebrity and the Legend, I would say there is no comparison. The experience on Seabourn will be amazing...and you won't look back

We have sailed in the A categories on the Legend and the Pride. On Celebrity everything from Balconies up to Celebrity Suites, Royal and Penthouse. Traded in the expensive suites on Celebrity for the smaller, but roomy suites on Seabourn and the experience of less passengers and all inclusive. (Still miss the Martini Bars on Celebrity). Hope this helps...ask me questions, if you are still undecided.

Note: You will never wait in long lines to embark or debark or sign a chit. Also, think they have the best cookies on the sea!

Sara, Having sailed on both Celebrity and the Legend, I would say there is no comparison. The experience on Seabourn will be amazing...and you won't look back

We have sailed in the A categories on the Legend and the Pride. On Celebrity everything from Balconies up to Celebrity Suites, Royal and Penthouse. Traded in the expensive suites on Celebrity for the smaller, but roomy suites on Seabourn and the experience of less passengers and all inclusive. (Still miss the Martini Bars on Celebrity). Hope this helps...ask me questions, if you are still undecided.

Note: You will never wait in long lines to embark or debark or sign a chit. Also, think they have the best cookies on the sea!

Thanks for your response. Yes - the Martini Bars are quite fun!

Do you generally book directly through Seabourn, or use a travel agent?

Thanks,

Sara

Thanks for your response. Yes - the Martini Bars are quite fun!

Do you generally book directly through Seabourn, or use a travel agent?

Thanks,

Sara

I'd recommend a travel agent. Some of them get generous OBC in addition to whatever the line is offering or can give discounts on discounts and other nice things. Also should things go sideways it's nice having someone you can call to have sort out the issue rather than having to spend your time just trying to find the right person(s) to contact.

yes your TA is blowing smoke. Dont worry about your suite smelling of smoke though. We have over 300 days on Seabourn and have never smelt any in our suite. Some of the Public areas still allow smoking, but hopefully not for too much longer. The outside Bars and the Observation Lounge are the worst.

Sara: I use an agent. I research and know the cabin I want...so all she does is the actual booking. You will find that good agents will have a rapport with certain cruise lines...find one that books luxury cruises and then ask which lines she/he deals with.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

Researching Seabourn for the first time, and would love some advice/input.

All of our experience has been on Celebrity, and so not familiar with ships of this size.

--Within the A1, A2, and B3 categories are there suites you would specifically recommend or avoid?

--Smoking appears to be allowed in all suites. Is this accurate?

In what outdoor areas is it allowed/prohibited?

--Comparisons between Suite accommodations on Celebrity vs. A or B category on Seabourn?

--Are there any other luxury lines you would recommend for a 7 day Caribbean cruise around February, 2013?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sara

As a non-smoking couple we are also worried about Seabourn's smoking policy. We would hate to find a stale smoke smell in the cabin. We would also be put off by passing smoking bars. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, of smoking on Legend?

As a non-smoking couple we are also worried about Seabourn's smoking policy. We would hate to find a stale smoke smell in the cabin. We would also be put off by passing smoking bars. Does anyone have experience, good or bad, of smoking on Legend?

Was on the Legend for 44 days last year and the only bad experience was the Midnight un Lounge were smoking is on one side and non-smoking on the other.

We were on deck 6, had at point had smokers near us, but never any smell of smoke in our Suite.

In my opinion the best suite on Deck 4 (A1) is 137 followed by 135, 133, 132, 132, 131 and 130. 136 and 134 are excellent choices if you don't care for a bathtub.

117 is adjacent to a service door and should be avoided. Would imagine the same holds true for 215 and 311 but I have only experienced 117. 102 and 103 are considerably smaller than the others, but they are often alloted to the guest entertainers/lecturers.

• 1 month later...
In my opinion the best suite on Deck 4 (A1) is 137 followed by 135, 133, 132, 132, 131 and 130. 136 and 134 are excellent choices if you don't care for a bathtub.

I'm curious as to why you like #137 the best. Does its proximity to the 2 elevators and the staircase make it a bit noisier?

What about #128 or 129?

There is absolutely no noise from the elevators in 137. You also never have great hoards of people going up and down the stairs at the same time on the Seabourn ships, so no noise from the stairs either. We have also had 117 and cant remember any noise from the Service area!

The noise heard in 117 was not from the service area itself, but from the door to the service area whenever a crewmember allowed it to slam shut.

128 is half of a double suite with a movable wall partition between it and 126. We heard the telephone ringing a couple of times in 126, but we could not hear any other noises - perhaps because 126 was occupied by a single person rather than a couple the week we were in 128.

I could hear no hallway/elevator noise while inside 137.

We recently had suite 216 on the Pride. We heard no more noise there than we had in any other suite on Deck 5 in five previous cruises. That area on any deck is very convenient to stairs and elevators. You can run back from the MDR very quickly.

Anybody have experience (good or bad) of suite 120 on the little sisters? Have been assigned 120 for TA crossing on Spirit in December

We had 121 for two weeks on Pride in Asia. No problems. Very quiet.

We liked this location better than 137 on Spirit, where although there was no 'traffic' or elevator noise, there was a constant vibration when underway.

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived