Just Back Celebrity Summit

sallycruiser

We were on the May 20th cruise. Everything was good. I thought the cruise director Sue was great.. she made everything she was involved in fun. Weather was so so... but we had a good time any way. Went on snorkel trip to devils Isle and it was overcast but sun came out.. water was cold but got use to it. Went to St George and took trolley tour ( which I had done before) but my travel companion had never been to bermuda.. it started to rain when we went to get back on ferry to dockyard. Went to horseshoe bay the last day which was the sunniest of all and it was beautiful.. again water was cold but it was bearable.. big waves,,

We were in Room 9032 which had a large overhang so no sun.. but is was okay.. wanted to mention room because I have been on boards many times trying to see if someone would mention room I would be in and never found it. Room was good and convenient to lido and theater. I thought the shows were fantastic and the comedian Fred Klett was very funny.

Buffet at night was very limited (pizza always, pasta bar, salad, and chef's special steak, chicken, salmon, pork cooked to order).. but not alot of variety in side dishes. Since I tend to eat at buffet at night and it was a dissappontment... I have been on solistice and sillhouette and like the set up of buffet on both of those ships ( I realize that they are newer and larger). Had been on summit twice before and love the inside pool. But I like the set up on other ships better with more places to sit inside and nice comfy loungers near pool.

Overall cruise was good but wished I had gone to carib at this time of year. Had been to bermuda multiple times on cruises and at hotels and usually went in summer. I was looking for hot and sunny and the weather was not what I was looking for but I can't control the weather.

Celebrity is my favorite due to the smoking restrictions which are great.

Can't wait till next time

Have a great cruise

My mother-in-law was on Summit at the beginning of May and she said she had a great time.......but the food was terrible. We are doing Celebrity Reflection next year and her thoughts on the food scared me a little. I certainly don't expect perfection, but terrible? She's usually not picky, so I'm not sure if she had a bad week as far as the food went or not. Can you give some more thoughts on the food? Did you eat in the MDR at all?

We only ate in MDR twice toward end of cruise. Food was good. We then wished we had eaten there more often. We ate in Qsine one time and the food was good but for two it was too much food. I had eaten there on a previous cruise when then was three of us and it was still too much food. We did Bistro on Five on embarkation day and had panini's that were very good. Other than that we did not do any other speciality restaurants.

I think that food is always subjective.. and I think you can always find something to eat that is good. I have cruised many times going back at least 15-20 years and the food and the experience has certainly changed for the worse over the years. However cruising is still better than being at home and working.

I was on that cruise and ate in Blu. I have not been on X in about 7 yrs. The food is not the same. What we had in Blu was what we had in the MDR then.

The service was outstanding everywhere.

We were in the new aft deck 11 Aqua cabins (1141) and the smoke and noise fom the Sunset Bar was terrible:mad:

The music on the ship was everywhere and very, very LOUD. We love music, my husband is a musician, but most of the "songs" were not for the venues and time of day. They have a great Bose sound system tho:)

Any questions.....feel free to ask.

We only ate in MDR twice toward end of cruise. Food was good. We then wished we had eaten there more often. We ate in Qsine one time and the food was good but for two it was too much food. I had eaten there on a previous cruise when then was three of us and it was still too much food. We did Bistro on Five on embarkation day and had panini's that were very good. Other than that we did not do any other speciality restaurants.

I think that food is always subjective.. and I think you can always find something to eat that is good. I have cruised many times going back at least 15-20 years and the food and the experience has certainly changed for the worse over the years. However cruising is still better than being at home and working.

Thanks for the response!

My mother-in-law was on Summit at the beginning of May and she said she had a great time.......but the food was terrible. We are doing Celebrity Reflection next year and her thoughts on the food scared me a little. I certainly don't expect perfection, but terrible? She's usually not picky, so I'm not sure if she had a bad week as far as the food went or not. Can you give some more thoughts on the food? Did you eat in the MDR at all?

I find that hard to believe. I just came off a 15 night on the Millennium and the food was great. Why would anyone eat in the buffet when the menu in the MDR is so extensive and good.

I was on that cruise and ate in Blu. I have not been on X in about 7 yrs. The food is not the same. What we had in Blu was what we had in the MDR then.

The service was outstanding everywhere.

We were in the new aft deck 11 Aqua cabins (1141) and the smoke and noise fom the Sunset Bar was terrible:mad:

The music on the ship was everywhere and very, very LOUD. We love music, my husband is a musician, but most of the "songs" were not for the venues and time of day. They have a great Bose sound system tho:)

Any questions.....feel free to ask.

Glad I opted for the deck 9 AQ cabin instead as one of the primary reasons I sail Celebrity exclusively is to avoid smokers. I noticed in a recent Celebrity Today that smoking is now allowed anywhere in the Sunset Bar area - that might be the reason why it is so smoky back there :(

Did you enjoy Blu?

My mother-in-law was on Summit at the beginning of May and she said she had a great time.......but the food was terrible. We are doing Celebrity Reflection next year and her thoughts on the food scared me a little. ?

When someone says things like terrible or awful, I question how much credance to give that critique if it is far off the majority's opinion. Celebrity always gets darn good reviews of the dining.

I think the MDR food is good. Not as good as 10 years ago for some reason. Maybe I'm more particular. However, knowing that there are a handful of entrees to try every evening, if something isn't to your liking, order something else. The waitstaff will do everything to keep you happy. There even was one night I had a double on a particular appetizer, a soup and a salad. Skipped the main entree because the other dishes were so good ...to me. And I was full. Remember everyone has their own tastes. If your mother in law couldn't find anything she liked on a daily basis, hmmmm. Wondering if she tried. Food is so subjective. I wouldn't worry too much. ;) Have a great cruise!

Glad I opted for the deck 9 AQ cabin instead as one of the primary reasons I sail Celebrity exclusively is to avoid smokers. I noticed in a recent Celebrity Today that smoking is now allowed anywhere in the Sunset Bar area - that might be the reason why it is so smoky back there :(

Did you enjoy Blu?

When it rained All of the smokers went under the cover, so it really was bad:mad: Anywhere at the bar, huh? Too bad for those cabins booked:(

Loved Blu, the service was above and beyond.

We had a "sweet sixteen" stateroom on Deck 6 on Celebrity Summit on the May 20th cruise. We loved the spacious balcony. The cabin was immaculate, comfortable and attractive. Raul and his assistant were the best stewards we have had in 12 cruises - 3 on Royal, 2 on Celebrity Zenith, 1 on Celebrity Horizon, 1 on Crown Princess, 2 on Carnival, and 2 on H/A Veendam. One of our bags had lost its luggage tags and was misplaced. The Concierge, Kevin Thummiah, was terrific - he went above and beyond to locate the bag and sent Celebrity shirts and toiletries to help alleviate my husband's difficulty until he cleverly solved the mystery of the missing bag - and he did! Kevin comped us at Qsine which was unbelievably terrific. My husband and I loved every meal we had at late seating in the MDR. Our waiters, Hugo and Razmadan, were attentive, non-intrusive and very sweet men, professional and efficient as well. I sadly do not recall the names of the Maitre'd and the wine steward but both were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. We loved the classical guitar and the acapella quartette in the lounges. An extra treat was the concert by the Penn State Glee Club. I could go on - every day was great!

Bery, We too were in a "sweet sixteen" and also had Raul. He was an excellent roon attendant! We loved the extra room on the balcony and we did spend alot of time out there just watching the ocean.

Librarylady,

We went to Hamilton on the first day. The ferry and buses were packed!! Both ships were in port at the same time so every mode of public transportation was very crowded...standing room only. Hamilton was ok but we are not shoppers so we didnt spend much time there. We did take the walk up to Fort Hamilton. Let me tell you it is pretty much all uphill but worth the view once you get there. A quiet oasis!

2nd day we chose a cruise excursion to Devils Island. It was great! I highly recommend this trip for the 1st time snorkeler. You can get off the boat and stand. A small beach is also there. We swam out to a reef and saw many many fish!

3rd day we went to Horseshoe Bay. A word of advice...if you can get up and get ready take an EARLY bus. We got on the 2nd bus of the day and it was full but we had seats. Horseshoe Bay was pretty empty and only starting to wake up! We stayed until noon at which time it was very crowded. Beautiful and a must see!!

Hope this helps.

I did not include our three days in Bermuda. We cruise to Bermuda to relax - not to tour. Bermuda is our favorite place in the world. We look forward to being in Bermuda for 12 months - 51 weeks until we return! While in Bermuda, we do what we always do. We traipse around St. George. St. George has suffered with the loss of docking by the cruise lines but is still lovely. We love Horseshoe Bay and Elbow Beaches. We truly enjoy taking the public buses. I always admire the local young people who give up their seats when older persons enter the bus. We did bus to Hamilton but it was a National Holiday and most stores were closed for the celebration. We have always toasted Bermuda on the last land day at the Hamilton Princess. On earlier cruises we did the Crystal Caves, aquarium, Botanical Gardens, etc. But not in a while.

I wish we had made it to St. George. Not enough time this trip. Since this was our first cruise and first time to Bermuda it was pretty poor planning on our part now that we relook at how we did the days. Oh well, a great reason to go back!!:D

I find that hard to believe. I just came off a 15 night on the Millennium and the food was great. Why would anyone eat in the buffet when the menu in the MDR is so extensive and good.

Hi Softail,

Please could you tell me what the cabins are like after Millie has been 'done over' ?

Thinking of doing a cruise in 2013 Hong Kong>Singapore, looking at 2B and 2A midship or near the lifts and levels 7-8. Been only on the Solstice Sept '11

and were midship on level 7 which hooked us to Celebrity !

many thanks,

ec

..... find something not to like. ( Believe it or not sometimes my wife finds faults in ME! )

I can say without exception that there has been something not to like on every cruise that I've been on. But, on the flip side, there has always been a lot more to like. That is why we continue to cruise.

If you can't find something you enjoy eating on a cruise ship, you must be one hell of a cook!

We were on the May 20th cruise. Everything was good. I thought the cruise director Sue was great.. she made everything she was involved in fun. Weather was so so... but we had a good time any way. Went on snorkel trip to devils Isle and it was overcast but sun came out.. water was cold but got use to it. Went to St George and took trolley tour ( which I had done before) but my travel companion had never been to bermuda.. it started to rain when we went to get back on ferry to dockyard. Went to horseshoe bay the last day which was the sunniest of all and it was beautiful.. again water was cold but it was bearable.. big waves,,

We were in Room 9032 which had a large overhang so no sun.. but is was okay.. wanted to mention room because I have been on boards many times trying to see if someone would mention room I would be in and never found it. Room was good and convenient to lido and theater. I thought the shows were fantastic and the comedian Fred Klett was very funny.

Buffet at night was very limited (pizza always, pasta bar, salad, and chef's special steak, chicken, salmon, pork cooked to order).. but not alot of variety in side dishes. Since I tend to eat at buffet at night and it was a dissappontment... I have been on solistice and sillhouette and like the set up of buffet on both of those ships ( I realize that they are newer and larger). Had been on summit twice before and love the inside pool. But I like the set up on other ships better with more places to sit inside and nice comfy loungers near pool.

Overall cruise was good but wished I had gone to carib at this time of year. Had been to bermuda multiple times on cruises and at hotels and usually went in summer. I was looking for hot and sunny and the weather was not what I was looking for but I can't control the weather.

Celebrity is my favorite due to the smoking restrictions which are great.

Can't wait till next time

Have a great cruise

I was very happy to read your review as I am on the Summit 6/24. Someone that I work with was on your cruise and she said it was the worst cruise she'd ever been on. She said the ocean was very rough with 16 ft waves. She said she couldn't get out of bed on Monday because of the motion of the ship, and only visited the MDR the 1st night. She said the food that they had was very good but they ate in the buffet or room service for the rest of the cruise. She also claimed there was nothing to do on the ship. The funny thing is that she gave me the dailies which of course are full of things to do. I guess you just can't please everyone!

I was very happy to read your review as I am on the Summit 6/24. Someone that I work with was on your cruise and she said it was the worst cruise she'd ever been on. She said the ocean was very rough with 16 ft waves. She said she couldn't get out of bed on Monday because of the motion of the ship, and only visited the MDR the 1st night. She said the food that they had was very good but they ate in the buffet or room service for the rest of the cruise. She also claimed there was nothing to do on the ship. The funny thing is that she gave me the dailies which of course are full of things to do. I guess you just can't please everyone!

Rough?.........Rough?:eek: Oh my, I guess that she has never been on a storm at sea.......I love them:D

It really is a shame that people don`t eat in the MDR at night for dinner, especially on X:confused:

There was plenty to do on board. Activities are limited when we are docked and if you don`t get off..........oh well.

OP--thanks so much for the info! We are leaving on the 6/17 Bermuda cruise, traveling with school age children.

We are trying to decide on the Devil's Isle cruise trip in Bermuda, and appreciate your info on it. Do you think it would be suitable for kids age 8-10 who are good swimmers? Did you happen to notice if they had flotation devices available for snorkeling? It sounds like a pretty tame cruise--they just take you around the small inlets of the island?

We'd appreciate any additional info you could provide.

Many thanks!:)

Archived