TWO days in Dubrovnik?

We are doing a B2B cruise this September and will be in Dubrovnik both times. The first time, we'll of course do the Wall and old town. What are some ideas for the second time we're there?

Thanks?

You could probably fill much of two days just in the old town. There is also the cable car.

If it were me, I would rent a car and drive into the countryside. If your cruises do not stop in Kotor, go there.

Otherwise check out the Peljesac Peninsula with the historic wall at Ston and lots of wineries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ston

http://www.sightseeing.komarna.co.uk/peljesac.html

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. The Peljesac link was fabulous and has me really excited.

Is renting a car difficult? How about getting around and taking the ferry--for a newbie?

Is there a driver or tour guide that you would recommend who would take us into the Peljesac area?

Thanks!

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. The Peljesac link was fabulous and has me really excited.

Is renting a car difficult? How about getting around and taking the ferry--for a newbie?

Is there a driver or tour guide that you would recommend who would take us into the Peljesac area?

Thanks!

Try info@taxidubrovnik.com if you want a driver/guide. Tomislav is the name of the owner. Five of us went with Mikos in a mini-van to take a tour first of the mountain where the cable car is, then down the road to Cavtat, a beach resort town, and then into the Konvalve region where we had a traditional Croatian meal in an old mill coverted into a resturant. We had a long port call and went sigtseeing in the afternoon when we got back to Dubrovnik.

Thanks!

Renting a car is not difficult here, but do make sure that you reserve prior to your arrival. If you are going to do the Peljesac Wine road and any wine tasting, do understand Croatian law for drinking and driving. Your best choice is to hire car/driver and enjoy the views and tasting our fabulous wines. September is still busy and make sure your driver is aware of your ship departure time.

Alternately the trip south of Dubrovnik to our Konavle region is much closer and would be my first choice. The ancient town of Cavtat, picture perfect place to wander around and enjoy. If you are here on a Sunday, do not miss the folk dancing in Clipi. We also have wineries in the Konavle region and many choices for a traditional lunch.

Enjoy your time here.

• 2 weeks later...
...If you are going to do the Peljesac Wine road and any wine tasting, do understand Croatian law for drinking and driving. Your best choice is to hire car/driver and enjoy the views and tasting our fabulous wines...

On the Peljesac wine road, I recommend the Korta Katarina and the Grgic wineries. The two wines from this region are an awesome white called Posip and a great red called Plavac Mali, a Zinfandel sibling.

We had planned to visit both wineries, but only went to the Korta Katarina because the guide there poured so generously and the wine was so delicious that we drank far more than is typical on a winery visit. We made arrangements to visit Korta Katarina, but I don't believe advanced reservations are necessary at the Grgic winery.

The reason I'm even mentioning the second place is that we drank their white wine in several restaurants so I know I'm not steering you wrong. Besides, the wine producer is well known to Americans who drink chardonnay wine from Nappa, CA. Miljenko Grgich is the Mike Grgich behind Grgich Hills winery in Nappa, California. (The Grgic spelling is the Croatian way and Grgich is the Americanized spelling reflecting that fact that the "c" with a crown on it is pronouned "ch.")

Korta Katarina: http://www.kortakatarinawinery.com/

Grgic: http://www.vinskiputidnz.com/grgic.html

Do not panic when you arrive at the Grgic web site. Although it appears to be written in Croatian, English translations are at the bottom of the Croat text.

Incidentally, Korta Katarina has an American distributor so if you fall in love with the wine as we did, you can likely get more of it once home. If you click on the "trade" link in the web site, you'll see that Byerly's grocery stores in Minnesota carries this and several Chicago wine stores. Otherwise, I assume the wine can be shipped to your home. Certainly, we'll be doing that once the heat of summer passes and conditions are better for shipping wine.

If you'll be visiting the Peljesca Peninsula, I'd encourage you to stop for lunch in Ston to try some of their delicious oysters. We ate lunch at Bota Sage and our big smiles and happy tummies can vouch for it.

The restaurant prepares it oysters three ways: raw, grilled, and breaded/fried. The taste of all three was delicious, but my least favorite was the fried version. I thought the breading was too heavy, but the frying was competently done with no heavy oil taste. There is a full menu besides oysters and I saw other tables eating what looked like an oyster stew and poached mussels. We rounded out our meal by sharing a small grilled whole fish, a sea bream (AKA orata/dorata/dorada).

Alternately the trip south of Dubrovnik to our Konavle region is much closer and would be my first choice. The ancient town of Cavtat, picture perfect place to wander around and enjoy. If you are here on a Sunday, do not miss the folk dancing in Clipi. We also have wineries in the Konavle region and many choices for a traditional lunch. Enjoy your time here.

This region produces malvasia (Croatian spelling -- malvazija) white wine which was another one of our favorites from our weeks in Croatia. I don't have any specific recommendations for a winery here, but I sure have positive feelings about the wine you'll encounter there based on drinking it in restaurants.

I knew to expect great medieval cities, great Roman ruins, and beautiful scenery from our time in Croatia, but my husband and I were completely blown away by the high quality of the wine.

I knew to expect great medieval cities, great Roman ruins, and beautiful scenery from our time in Croatia, but my husband and I were completely blown away by the high quality of the wine.

Thank you ksps cruise fan, I could not have said it better. One of the many reasons I have chosen Dubrovnik as my retirement home.

Archived