Staggered check in times at OPT

Which cruise line are you referring too? P&O have been doing this from OPT, Barangaroo and Portside, but I'm not sure that other cruise lines offer staggered boarding. HAL didn't in December last year at OPT as far as I'm aware ...

Which cruise line are you referring too? P&O have been doing this from OPT, Barangaroo and Portside, but I'm not sure that other cruise lines offer staggered boarding. HAL didn't in December last year at OPT as far as I'm aware ...

Princess does, also.

I didn't think it was a cruise line trial, I thought it was a trial by the OPT management. It was supposed to start in March this year. If it is an individual Cruise line trial then I refer to RCCL.

Hi Dave

It was a RCCL trial, nothing to do with the OPT management. RCCL have tried quite a few changes to the check in process in an effort to overcome the shortcomings of the terminal building itself which is the main cause of the problems. Actually it is not even Royal Caribbean staff that do the "turnaround" functions but a separate company and P&O, Princess, HAL and all the other cruise lines have different companies handling these port side operations for them. ( I actually work for the company that does the RCCL turnarounds)

Getting back to your original question, yes, the staggered check ins did work, along with a total reconfiguration of the check in process. They /we have basically reversed the steps and made the actual check in first, then customs, then security, whereas before it was security customs then check in which seemed to cause more delays. There are now dedicated lines for priority check in (Crown & Anchor, & suites) which are available right from the start not like before when priority lines were only available after security and customs which meant there was no real priority lines and guests would still have to join the long queue outside the building regardless of "status".

I believe there will be more changes/improvements next season especially considering the fact that the Voyager of the Seas ,with its 3000 plus passengers will create "issues" as the OPT is not designed for such numbers. Unfortunately there is no alternative berth available on a regular basis so we will have to persevere with what we have got. Believe me RCCL do not like having guests wait in line to check in for long periods of time and if there were ways to eliminate these delays they/we certainly would use them. (Any suggestions???)

Hope this info helps ... enjoy your cruise on the Voyager...and come and say hello when you check in

Hi Dave

It was a RCCL trial, nothing to do with the OPT management. RCCL have tried quite a few changes to the check in process in an effort to overcome the shortcomings of the terminal building itself which is the main cause of the problems. Actually it is not even Royal Caribbean staff that do the "turnaround" functions but a separate company and P&O, Princess, HAL and all the other cruise lines have different companies handling these port side operations for them. ( I actually work for the company that does the RCCL turnarounds)

Getting back to your original question, yes, the staggered check ins did work, along with a total reconfiguration of the check in process. They /we have basically reversed the steps and made the actual check in first, then customs, then security, whereas before it was security customs then check in which seemed to cause more delays. There are now dedicated lines for priority check in (Crown & Anchor, & suites) which are available right from the start not like before when priority lines were only available after security and customs which meant there was no real priority lines and guests would still have to join the long queue outside the building regardless of "status".

I believe there will be more changes/improvements next season especially considering the fact that the Voyager of the Seas ,with its 3000 plus passengers will create "issues" as the OPT is not designed for such numbers. Unfortunately there is no alternative berth available on a regular basis so we will have to persevere with what we have got. Believe me RCCL do not like having guests wait in line to check in for long periods of time and if there were ways to eliminate these delays they/we certainly would use them. (Any suggestions???)

Hope this info helps ... enjoy your cruise on the Voyager...and come and say hello when you check in

Thank you for putting me straight, boy was I on the wrong page.Good to hear they are trying new ideas. Keep a lookout for me on 8thdec, I'm the one with the grey hair. Lol

Thank you for putting me straight, boy was I on the wrong page.Good to hear they are trying new ideas. Keep a lookout for me on 8thdec, I'm the one with the grey hair. Lol

Oh so your THE guy with the grey hair going on a cruise.... I must have met you before then ;););):D:D:D

Archived