Royal Connect phone or walkie talkie on Allure

Still trying to decide between renting the phones on Allue (we are leaving next week) or use our walkie talkies to help find our kids and grandchildren on the ship. I know it is a $1000 penalty if anyone loses it but I hope that won't happen and have read some discouraging stories about walkie talkies not being so effective on the ship. Please Help me decide. If you think the walkie talkies will work all over the ship we will go that way. But if not, or if it is difficult to find a good channel, then we will rent 4 phones. (we are 4 families traveling together who really do want to enjoy each other's company but still have some alone time also

Still trying to decide between renting the phones on Allue (we are leaving next week) or use our walkie talkies to help find our kids and grandchildren on the ship. I know it is a $1000 penalty if anyone loses it but I hope that won't happen and have read some discouraging stories about walkie talkies not being so effective on the ship. Please Help me decide. If you think the walkie talkies will work all over the ship we will go that way. But if not, or if it is difficult to find a good channel, then we will rent 4 phones. (we are 4 families traveling together who really do want to enjoy each other's company but still have some alone time also

I can't speak for the Allure but I have used walkie-talkies on Freedom and they worked very well. I plan on using them again this August. I do think the phones are the most reliable option but, considering the loss/damage penalty, I would be hesitant to give one to a child. I would not be very upset if I lost a $30 radio. I would be extremely upset if I had to pay a $1000 loss/damage waiver. If it were me, I would make my decision based upon the age and responsibility level of the children.

EDIT: I just read your post again. If you are considering one phone for each family I assume the adults would have them. In that case I would definitely choose the iPhones. They would be more reliable and give you more options such as text messages, the ability to call or receive a call from any number on the ship and built in daily compasses.

The phones would be in the hands of the adults. One for each family. Each family has two parents and two kids.

Sorry I missed that. In that case I would choose the iPhones. I edited my post with the reasons.

We rented the Royal Connect iPhones last week on Allure. My fiance and I were very disappointed. The voice quality was horrible. I could hardly make out what she was saying a lot of times. You can text each other, but a bunch of times messages could not even come up until I turned on the screen or went in to the app. When it worked it was great, but most of time we complained on how bad the call quality was.

You might see if they still offer DECT phones. The cost is less than the iPhone type. All they do is voice calls, i.e., no texting, cruise compass, location finding, etc. However, the DECT phones do use the shipwide pervasive WiFi, so they are more dependable that walkie talkies.

We were on the oasis last year with a large group. We had used basic walkie takies in the past which had poor connection and there was so many conversations going on especially mid day (even tried different channels). So for the oasis we purchased several high quality WT and the service was still hit or miss. We found the batteries had to be charged every night (a pain with only one outlet - learned our lesson there and now bring a multi outlet)

Anyway, overall I found it more frustrating than helpful. By the last days we just called each other's room in the morning/evening and set specific meet up times or places to connect. One family member attended and it worked out fine.

Sorry I can't offer any thoughts on the other phones you are considering.

We sailed on Allure May 20, 2012.

We have used various walkie-talkies on other ships and never found them reliable enough to keep using.

On this sailing we used both the DECT phones and the Royal Connect phones.

LESSON: Nothing is as good at sea as on land when it comes to digital and that goes for wifi also. I would suggest using both walkie-talkies for your kids and the iphones for adults.

We obtained the DECT phones through the kids program.

Thank you for all the quick responses. I think we will bring the walkie talkies (we have 3 pairs between all of us) and try to find a good channel. If that doesn't work well we will try to rent the phones. I don't know anything about DECT phones/ Are they the same price?

Thank you for all the quick responses. I think we will bring the walkie talkies (we have 3 pairs between all of us) and try to find a good channel. If that doesn't work well we will try to rent the phones. I don't know anything about DECT phones/ Are they the same price?

The DECT phones used to be $25 per phone per cruise. I haven't checked recently. I think the big difference is that the DECT phones are much cheaper than the iPhones should they be lost or damaged.

We used the DECT phones twice. We rented them once from Guest Relations on the Mariner and was given one by Adventure Ocean staff on Serenade (I think). It has been a few years but I think the DECT phones were $25 each for the week. I think the loss/damage fee was $50. The time we received one from AO there was no charge but they only gave them out to parents who had very young or special needs children in AO.

• 1 month later...
You might see if they still offer DECT phones. The cost is less than the iPhone type. All they do is voice calls, i.e., no texting, cruise compass, location finding, etc. However, the DECT phones do use the shipwide pervasive WiFi, so they are more dependable that walkie talkies.

Anyone know how much they are charging for the Royal connect phones per unit per cruise currently. I have seen older posts at 17.50 and newer ones stating 59 bucks a piece??

Anyone know how much they are charging for the Royal connect phones per unit per cruise currently. I have seen older posts at 17.50 and newer ones stating 59 bucks a piece??

It is $30.00 for the Royal Connect iPhones. Not sure about the DECT phones.

do you know where to get them on oasis and can they be ordered ahead of time?

Sorry not sure about Oasis. Best bet is to go straight to guest services and ask and pick up a cruise compass. It will tell you exactly where to go. You are not able to order them ahead of time.

Archived