Alaska state fair

midwife56

Growing up, it was our end of summer highlight. However, having gone to other state fairs now, I don't think it is that much different than what you will find in the lower 48. It was a great fair, but if you have another choice, it would probably be better to choose that.

I have been at least a dozen times. I think it is one of the best. It has all the

stuff a big fair does but it maintains that old country fair flavor. If I'm up in the

country again this summer I will make it a point to go.:)

Bigger isn't always better. I occasionally find myself in Oklahoma during September, they have a very big fair. Compared to the Alaska State Fair,

Oklahoma sucks. If you get the chance, go, take it all in, including the people.:)

We were at the State Fair last year and loved it, actually I think the state fair must have been the reason we didn't meet too many 'locals' as we drove around Alaska ....they were all in Palmer!! :) If you're 'into' quilts - you'll have to check out the arts and crafts section

I have a picture of myself, squatting behind an incredibly huge cabbage at the Alaska State Fair in 1972. I recall seeing a 37" green bean on that same afternoon. Hopefully the midnight sun is still producing these agricultural wonders!

Archived