Castaway club benefits

cruisercrazy69

as i never sailed on Disney what are the benefits? do they have different levels?

PopFla provided the levels, but the benefits are mostly pre-cruise...the higher the level, the earlier you can book spa treatments, Palo/Remy reservations/excursions prior to sailing. (Once your fare is paid in full, of course!)

When you arrive at your stateroom, you will receive a fun gift based on your level as well. We've received everything from bags, to water bottles, to key chains to stationary, to sweet treats. It's always a fun surprise! :)

Sorry, the repeat cruise perks are lame to say the least. Honestly, what they charge for a cruise, you would think it would be a tad better.

Does not encourage repeat cruises for us! We worked hard to attain a higher status on Celebrity and will be rewarded for it.

Sorry, the repeat cruise perks are lame to say the least. Honestly, what they charge for a cruise, you would think it would be a tad better.

Does not encourage repeat cruises for us! We worked hard to attain a higher status on Celebrity and will be rewarded for it.

To each their own! Personally, "higher status" is not even on my "things that are important to me on a vacation" list. ;) I was treated like royalty on my 1st Disney cruise and on every cruise thereafter...and they didn't one time ask for my credentials prior to that exemplary service. :)

It is an interesting and somewhat mixed bag with DCL. Some of the special, Disney only, excursions sell out very quickly. Having advanced booking perks is a big deal if you are looking to snap up one of those excursions. Brunch is tough to get as it is only available on sea days. The on-line booking for brunch is in very high demand. To those who really enjoy what Disney has to offer, that "early booking" window really is a big deal.

However, you have to be paid in full to take advantage of it. That means you might be paying for your cruise several weeks earlier than is otherwise required.

I found the RCL method of booking to be different but in a lot of ways better. There were no time restrictions. As things became available, you were able to go out and book what you wanted. I booked very early for our upcoming cruise this month. For our September Disney cruise I will be Silver and I can start booking in a few days. In this case, I really don't care. There is nothing I am in a hurry to book so the "perk" really isn't much of a benefit to me, this time around.

The thing I really like about the Disney method is that once your window opens up, you can book everything. There is no going back later to find out what may be "new". The thing I don't like is that it creates this sort of "mad rush" to register once your window opens and those of us that don't have several DCL trips under our belt are shut out of a number of things. I just don't think that is the right way to treat guests.

It is an interesting and somewhat mixed bag with DCL. Some of the special, Disney only, excursions sell out very quickly. Having advanced booking perks is a big deal if you are looking to snap up one of those excursions. Brunch is tough to get as it is only available on sea days. The on-line booking for brunch is in very high demand. To those who really enjoy what Disney has to offer, that "early booking" window really is a big deal.

However, you have to be paid in full to take advantage of it. That means you might be paying for your cruise several weeks earlier than is otherwise required.

I found the RCL method of booking to be different but in a lot of ways better. There were no time restrictions. As things became available, you were able to go out and book what you wanted. I booked very early for our upcoming cruise this month. For our September Disney cruise I will be Silver and I can start booking in a few days. In this case, I really don't care. There is nothing I am in a hurry to book so the "perk" really isn't much of a benefit to me, this time around.

The thing I really like about the Disney method is that once your window opens up, you can book everything. There is no going back later to find out what may be "new". The thing I don't like is that it creates this sort of "mad rush" to register once your window opens and those of us that don't have several DCL trips under our belt are shut out of a number of things. I just don't think that is the right way to treat guests.

I do appreciate getting to book Palo at 90 days out (if I remember correctly).

That is the only benefit that I like. We don't do excursions.

To each their own! Personally, "higher status" is not even on my "things that are important to me on a vacation" list. ;) I was treated like royalty on my 1st Disney cruise and on every cruise thereafter...and they didn't one time ask for my credentials prior to that exemplary service. :)

Higher status for sake of higher status means absolutely nothing to me. In fact, it drives me nuts on Celebrity boards when people open up their post with "I am Elite" or RCI "I am Diamond Plus". No, that is not important to me while on vacation. I too enjoy being treated well on a cruise. We were treated well long before we finally got to Elite. It's just that now, we get a ton of perks, that I appreciate!;)

What is important to me when I cruise is:

being able to have 40 pieces of laundry done for us, at no cost

attending a 2 hour cocktail party daily with others, at no cost

getting 180 minutes of internet (for 2), at no cost

having a special venue for breakfast including special coffees and no crowds, at no cost

Oh heck, here's the list

• Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration Event
  • Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items
  • One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing‡
  • One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at a discounted price of $20 on all Celebrity cruises of 12 nights or longer
  • Complimentary dry cleaning of 1 garment item
  • Complimentary 90 minute Internet package (can be applied towards a larger Internet package; some restrictions apply)
  • Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party)
  • Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one port day of your choice, while the ship is in port)
  • Priority embarkation while boarding the ship (where available)
  • Invitation to a complimentary wine seminar event
  • Priority status on the shore excursion waitlist
  • Invitation to the exclusive Senior Officer's Cocktail Party
  • Access to the private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast during disembarkation
  • Priority tender service status
  • Priority waitlist status for dining room seating
  • Invitation to attend the Elegant Tea Service event
  • Complimentary use of the Loyalty Desk member service center between cruises
  • Complimentary access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise
  • A premium onboard discount booklet filled with special offers during each cruise
  • Complimentary upgrade from ChoiceAir® to ChoiceAir Plus when booking travel for your cruise
  • Pre-sailing specialty restaurant reservations available before your cruise
  • Annual member Reunion Cruise with additional member events
  • One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available)
  • Complimentary online Captain's Club newsletter with the latest program news and information
  • Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Level

Those are things that I appreciate.:)

You guys are both right.

The past passenger gift is a nice one, and so is the lanyard, but outside of that the real perk is the early booking window for things online. If you want a Palo brunch, a Castaway Cay cabana or prime BBB bookings, then this is a huge perk. If you don't care about those things, then it's not worth much.

In comparison, I'm platinum on Princess and Select (soon to be Elite) on Celebrity. On Princess I get a generous internet package, a small onboard gift and embarcation/disembarkation privileges. When I am elite (a few more cruises to go) I'll get a free mini-bar setup and free laundry throughout the cruise. On Celebrity I get discounted internet and laundry, and when I'm Elite I'll get a bigger internet discount and a free bag of laundry, in addition to the embarcation/disembarkation privileges. Both of these loyalty programs offer better benefits than Disney.

Certainly one doesn't cruise DCL for the past passenger perks.

Point of clarification, since I don't know that I made myself clear.

I am not a fan of the DCL loyalty program. I think it is a dis-service to guests who are trying to experience DCL for the first time. The long list of perks for other lines are really additional and do not detract from others who are trying to book their first cruise (or even their second). The availability of some things are so scarce that if you are not at least Platinum, you won't get much. Everyone booking after returning cruisers are left with the dregs.

The way Disney does its perks costs them nothing, but it does get people to pay early. Brilliant plan for Disney, not so much for guests.

I am not a fan of the DCL loyalty program. I think it is a dis-service to guests who are trying to experience DCL for the first time. The long list of perks for other lines are really additional and do not detract from others who are trying to book their first cruise (or even their second). The availability of some things are so scarce that if you are not at least Platinum, you won't get much. Everyone booking after returning cruisers are left with the dregs.

The way Disney does its perks costs them nothing, but it does get people to pay early. Brilliant plan for Disney, not so much for guests.

You make a valid point, a few actually, ones which I never even thought of.

At least the perks we will get with Celebrity won't affect anyone else.

And yeah, it doesn't cost DCL a dime (well, maybe a few dollars for the cabin gift). Lame.

Sorry, I know this is the Disney cruise boards, but I have always been someone who is not a Disney cheerleader (and we even own DVC!:eek:).

The do hold back a lot of reservations for when the passengers board. If you couldn't get them in advance, it's possible to get reservations on boarding day. Also, they don't charge for your excursions until the day of so they're not getting your money in advance.

The do hold back a lot of reservations for when the passengers board. If you couldn't get them in advance, it's possible to get reservations on boarding day. Also, they don't charge for your excursions until the day of so they're not getting your money in advance.

I think what cyclenut meant by DCL getting your $$ in advance is that your cruise must be PIF prior to your booking any shorex, restaurants, etc. So, if you are Platinum and want to take advantage of early booking for onboard activities, you must be PIF 121 days out (because you book at midnight at 120 days out) as opposed to the regular 75 (?) days ahead of time. This means DCL gets your $$ about 45 days in advance of what they normally would. Genius.

I really don't think much of Disney's CC program, especially with the erosion of benefits they've rolled out recently. We'll never cruise DCL just to build our status and get to Platinum. The benefits aren't meaningful to us. They could do away with the whole program, and I'd hardly notice.

• Exclusive Captain's Club Celebration Event
  • Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items
  • One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing‡
  • One standard bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) at a discounted price of $20 on all Celebrity cruises of 12 nights or longer
  • Complimentary dry cleaning of 1 garment item
  • Complimentary 90 minute Internet package (can be applied towards a larger Internet package; some restrictions apply)
  • Access to the Captain's Club Lounge for coffeehouse style breakfast and evening social hour (open daily except embarkation and the evening of the Senior Officers' Cocktail Party)
  • Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one port day of your choice, while the ship is in port)
  • Priority embarkation while boarding the ship (where available)
  • Invitation to a complimentary wine seminar event
  • Priority status on the shore excursion waitlist
  • Invitation to the exclusive Senior Officer's Cocktail Party
  • Access to the private shipboard departure lounge with continental breakfast during disembarkation
  • Priority tender service status
  • Priority waitlist status for dining room seating
  • Invitation to attend the Elegant Tea Service event
  • Complimentary use of the Loyalty Desk member service center between cruises
  • Complimentary access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise
  • A premium onboard discount booklet filled with special offers during each cruise
  • Complimentary upgrade from ChoiceAir® to ChoiceAir Plus when booking travel for your cruise
  • Pre-sailing specialty restaurant reservations available before your cruise
  • Annual member Reunion Cruise with additional member events
  • One category upgrade prior to sailing (when available)
  • Complimentary online Captain's Club newsletter with the latest program news and information
  • Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Level

Those are things that I appreciate.:)

That's an impressive list...and, maybe that's where our differences are. I could care less about laundry on a cruise though, I also don't have the ability to get vacation time for more than a week so maybe (someday!) that will change. I can definitely see the perk of having laundry services (free OR discounted on the cruises of more than a week!)

I do like the internet packages...and that's something I wish Disney would consider. We've never bought an internet package to date (again...back to jobs. We don't want our offices to have any access to us! LOL) but that would ALSO probably change on a longer itinerary for us.

The Gold status (and higher) on DCL also gets an invite to a cocktail reception with the officers.

My husband and I are thinking of branching out and trying new/different lines in the next year or so (we're eyeing the RCI 10 day southern caribbean in Feb of 2013 right now). Maybe I'll be more impressed afterwards. :)

I was never enticed by the loyalty programs until I started paying attention to what people were telling me while on cruises.

Things like the fact that they love getting those specialty coffees and mimosas at a nice calm restaurant at no charge, or the social 2 hours when they receive free wine and coctails (that sounds good to me!) in addition to the 2 other cocktail parties with the officers.

And the laundry. Oh the laundry. We do longer cruises (they are not that $$!) so you cannot imagine how much we have to pack. One nice thing about DCL is the fact that you can do laundry. On Celebrity, you can't. We have our first cruise in Dec that is 14 days and we will finally be Elite. Yay! 40 pieces of laundry, gratis!!!

RCI loyalty program is a little harder to attain the highest status. Celebrity is much easier.

I agree. Waiting for our first Disney cruise I felt as if we were considered 'unwashed' and not at all welcome. It still has left a bad taste in my mouth. Even though I could pre-book Palo for our recent Disney cruise, it still brought up 'unwashed' feeling again. The argument that a number of spots at Palo's are held back for on board bookings is hogwash in my opinion. The first time cruisers are the last to select their boarding times (don't get me started on that). Any chance of booking Palo (or changing dining times) was gone before those with later boarding times could even attempt to get them.

We have the highest loyalty "status" on another line. None of our perks are noticeable to others.

I think what cyclenut meant by DCL getting your $$ in advance is that your cruise must be PIF prior to your booking any shorex, restaurants, etc. So, if you are Platinum and want to take advantage of early booking for onboard activities, you must be PIF 121 days out (because you book at midnight at 120 days out) as opposed to the regular 75 (?) days ahead of time. This means DCL gets your $$ about 45 days in advance of what they normally would. Genius.

I really don't think much of Disney's CC program, especially with the erosion of benefits they've rolled out recently. We'll never cruise DCL just to build our status and get to Platinum. The benefits aren't meaningful to us. They could do away with the whole program, and I'd hardly notice.

That is exactly what I mean. I know that it is not a huge deal to many PAX but when you think aobut how much money DCL collects 30 days or more ahead of the required time, the investment income alone from having that money earlier more than pays for the cost of those "gifts" and "lanyards".

As for booking once on board, the point was made that later boarding times almost completely erases that option ... almost. If you are lucky and persistent and flexible ... you can still get a seat at the table ... but it really does make you feel like a second class citizen. In fact, with the onboard booking credit that many of the repeat cruisers are enjoying, you are likely paying more for that second class citizen feeling than those who recieved priority booking and priority boarding.

It used to be that those cruisers even had priority booking on newly released cruise dates.

I realize that Disney is catering to returning cruisers, but I really feel like they could do more to make those benefits both meaningful to returning cruisers while at the same time not making those lower on the loyalty ladder feel like they are (to borrow from a PP) part of the great "unwashed".

I also don't like the fact that I will be cruising dcl for the first time

And I will have to pray that maybe i will get to try brunch

If I'm lucky. Stupid idea! It should be first come, first serve for everyone.

Hey welcome to Disney, thanks for being a first timer but you get whatever is leftover!

Archived