salmon question...maybe stupid one

WASUP

How do u bring the salmon back from Alasks, lets say that you purchase it in alaska, will they ship it home for you? I have a friend and we wanted to bring some back as she just loves salmon...

Thanks

There are a couple of ways. I have often frozen whole salmon, stuck them in my suitcase, and had them arrive still frozen. You can also buy a cooler and put fresh or frozen salmon in that along with ice or a freezie-thingy they sell in stores. Otherwise you can buy smoked salmon either refrigerated (so you'll need the cooler) or packed so that it doesn't need refrigeration. The last resort is canned salmon.

Most places in Alaska understand that people are bringing it home with them. Most will package and ship it directly for you. I live in Arkansas but at least once a year we call up a place in Anchorage (I grew up there) and have them ship us Halibut and Salmon.

We had salmon the kids caught off Campbell River (Vancouver Island) smoked (you get packages of strips) and shipped to us. They arranged that they would arrive after we got home. If you are sending fresh or frozen, make sure someone at home will be there to receive it (neighbor or relative-you may even want it shipped to THEIR address). Who wants to arrive home and find defrosted and stinky spoiled fish on the doorstep? Yuckk!!! Some cruise lines will cook and serve the fish the night after you caught it. None that I know of will store it for the duration of the trip, so the pack your own option described above is it for carrying it with you. I would want to be aware of restrictions about bringing it aboard the plane or into your home state. Wiser I would think to have the salmon shipped through the excursion company and/or affiliated shipper.

Archived