Good Food is Relative to...

arby70

what you are used to. I do see people asking alot about the food quality on ships, and it is an important part of a cruise. But I wouldn't hold "tight and fast" to opinion. People who come from New York City, San Francisco, and other large cities are probably exposed to some pretty great restaurants. I come from Wyoming and we specialize in the mostly pristine and beautiful great outdoors (ie. Yellowstone Park, the Tetons, Devil's Tower, etc.) and "beef is what's for dinner" in our part of the world. Our food here is very good, but we are not exposed to the variety of different foods that are bountiful in other areas of the country. There aren't many steaks that are better than from a Wyoming grass fed beef, but getting a good seafood meal here is not an easy task. We felt pretty special eating the food on the Celebrity Infinity, and know that we will be very happy with our NCL cruise fare this fall. We feel that it will be a special treat because it is not the type of fare we generally would find in most Wyoming community restaurants. I know Jackson has some upscale restaurants, but they are definitely not the norm in "small town" Wyoming. I don't expect to like everything I try, but on a cruise you can just ask for something else. What a great concept! I love it! On a final note, two people can eat the same dish. One will be happy as a clam and the other may find it to be swill. I guess it's all relative to what you're used to and what you expect, and if you frequent high end restaurants, you may be at a disadvantage when it comes to some of the cruise line food. Me, I'll be the one smiling in the dining room, if for just the fact I didn't have to cook it. Will anybody else be smiling?:) :D ;)

I will be smiling!:) Here in Boise we have plenty of nice upscale (read: expensive!) restaurants, but I prefer good 'ol cheap down home country cookin'. Give me a steak, mashed potatoes (we do love our potatoes in Idaho) some veggies, cheesecake, and I'm good to go. I know I will enjoy all the food on our cruise, even more so, because I'm not shopping for it, cooking it or cleaning up after it!:D I don't really care for seafood, but I'm willing to try a little. Everyone raves about the salmon in Alaska, that is one fish I definitely don't like. I'm sure I will take some ribbing from my cabin mates (mom and sis) about that!!!

Amanda:D

What a good topic! It's always interesting to me to know what particular food is 'big' in areas of the country. I'm originally from New Orleans, so our thing is cajun, creole, or anything with a French flair. Oh yeah. So - when I'm on a cruise, I like to try the gumbo (never quite measures up, but...):D

My background is FOOD! I'm a retired Food & Beverage director for hotels, and also owned a catering business for many years. I LOVE trying new food, everywhere I go. Cruises are great for that. Also the restaurants on all the islands I visit have something unique, and worth trying. I've always been pleasantly surprised at the preparation of simple dishes that are so very different in the states.

You mentioned Alaskan salmon. I've had salmon in Alaska, and I've had Ahi Tuna in Hawaii. Amazing! (And...I don't like either from a can!) Eww. But sad to hear someone say "I don't like...." - when it may be wonderful where it is fresh.

Great thread. I'll be checking back.:)

I TOTALLY get what you are saying! I`m from RI and we have really good Italian food!

I went to the Italian speciality restaurant on Princess and HATED it!

I don`t think it was really bad, but rather that I`m really spoiled. However, we went to the steakhouse speciality restaurant and I was blown away, whereas someone from the midwest would probably think it sucked!

I'm from a small city in Texas and we have a pretty decent choice of restaurants. My favorite is mexican food (authentic & Tex-Mex), so I found it funny when we were on the Jubilee, stopping at two different Mexico ports, and they did not have any jalapenos. I think I'll sneak some on with my tequilla next time. ;)

I love my food spicy, so while most Carnival food is very good, I would love a little more spice (of any origin). I guess they really can't do too much when trying to feed 3,000 people.

We can get pretty good quality seafood, steaks, japanese, chinese, and ok italian food (better than ok if it's made at home).

So, while I don't tend to eat at too many high end restaurants, I am still a little on the picky side.

I posed a question on another board about the lobster. Living 5 miles from the ocean, we get great, fresh lobster often. I was thinking of hitting a specialty restaurant on lobster night because I really think it would be mediocre in comparison to what we're accustomed to. I also feel the same about Italian food. We're 20 minutes from Boston and frequent the Italian North End. Great food and atmosphere that's tough to duplicate.

?

I TOTALLY get what you are saying! I`m from RI and we have really good Italian food!

I went to the Italian speciality restaurant on Princess and HATED it!

I don`t think it was really bad, but rather that I`m really spoiled. However, we went to the steakhouse speciality restaurant and I was blown away, whereas someone from the midwest would probably think it sucked!

RHODE ISLAND: Have any suggestions for a good restaurant in Providence. I'll be down that way with friends in a couple of weeks and would love to try a nice little bistro maybe on Federal Hill if it's a nice weekend- aren't we due? :D

I guess this is all like" i live in California but was born and brought up in NYC and no where, no matter what part of this state of California could i find Pizza that could even come close to that of NYC. Cruise pizza is edible but not what i would consider yum yum. My boys always said that they was tired of hearing about ny pizza until they each went to NY and ate Pizza there. Now they say theres NONE TO COMPARE. But, as long as its not spoiled, rotted or absolutly disgusting, I can eat it. I even learned how to eat pizza cold from the fridge. But i will enjoy my pizza on the cruise ship. I love it. So enjoy

I guess this is all like" i live in California but was born and brought up in NYC and no where, no matter what part of this state of California could i find Pizza that could even come close to that of NYC. Cruise pizza is edible but not what i would consider yum yum. My boys always said that they was tired of hearing about ny pizza until they each went to NY and ate Pizza there. Now they say theres NONE TO COMPARE. But, as long as its not spoiled, rotted or absolutly disgusting, I can eat it. I even learned how to eat pizza cold from the fridge. But i will enjoy my pizza on the cruise ship. I love it. So enjoy

Have you ever had Leonardi's from Buffalo, NY? They even ship FEDEX.

RHODE ISLAND: Have any suggestions for a good restaurant in Providence. I'll be down that way with friends in a couple of weeks and would love to try a nice little bistro maybe on Federal Hill if it's a nice weekend- aren't we due? :D

I reccommend medeterraneo, or Constantines both on the hill.

I was thinking of hitting a specialty restaurant on lobster night because I really think it would be mediocre in comparison to what we're accustomed to. ?

Not knowing which line you'll be cruising - if it's Carnival, here are the entree choices in the dining room on formal night:

Trennette Putanesca

Ancho Honey-Basted Fillet of Fresh Pacific Salmon

Broiled Lobster Tail w/Melted Butter

Whole Roasted Quail Filled with a Delicate Herb Stuffing

Tamarind-Rubbed, Tender Roasted PRIME RIB of American Beef Au Jus

Grilled Brochettes of Fresh Garden Vegetables

If Angelo's is still open they rock. Not exactly the nicest restaurant, but the food is good.

I would also suggest Fire + Ice and Cheesecake Factory at the mall.

If Angelo's is still open they rock. Not exactly the nicest restaurant, but the food is good.

I would also suggest Fire + Ice and Cheesecake Factory at the mall.

Respectfully submitted ...

Angelos is kind of cheap mom n pop greasy Italian..if thats what you are into then Angelo`s is your place, and if you are into that I know a place that when you are there you are family....

Cheesecake at Cheesecake factory is top notch, but CF is a chain. I would reccommend Pastiche on the Hill for sweets over CF. Also Cf is a nightmare to get in on the weekend.

One caveat to Fiire and Ice...stir fry cook your own food. Not my thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I take my kids to Fire and Ice on Boylston Street in Boston often. The kids think it's pretty cool and it's a great way to get them to eat veggies. :D

We stayed at the Biltmore and originally the gal organizing our group wanted to go to Capitol Grille. Not my choice as I figured when in Rhode Island, do as the Italians do plus the Capitol Grill is a bit too cliche for me ....anyway, it was grad weekend so ressies were hard to come by. The concierge got us a reservation at Pane a Vino on the hill. Very good authentic Italian food, atmosphere and phenomenal wine list. I'll give it 2 thumbs up. We did apps for lunch at McCormick and Schmick which is in the hotel- great Bloody Mary's to boot and very inexpensive- we were pleasantly surprised.

I will not get into the Cabo Wabo and the tattooing.... strange things happen when a gal turns 40! Glad I'm not there yet! Thanks again! Providence is a great city.

Archived