Victory(S. Caribbean) Excursions For Children?

Hello My wife and I are taking the Carnival Victory with our children on October 28th 2012. This is our first time taking the kids on a cruise. We were wondering if someone could give us some ideas for things to do on the islands: St. Thomas,Barbados,St. Lucia,St. Kitts, and St Maarten for kids 1,4, and 9? Or if someone could give us at least 2 islands that would be the best for the kids. We are looking for historical things that would keep a 4&9 yr old interested :o, petting zoos, water parks etc. We want to do beaches just not every island. And the shopping which island(s) has the best shopping that would occupy their time. Thank you

Hello My wife and I are taking the Carnival Victory with our children on October 28th 2012. This is our first time taking the kids on a cruise. We were wondering if someone could give us some ideas for things to do on the islands: St. Thomas,Barbados,St. Lucia,St. Kitts, and St Maarten for kids 1,4, and 9? Or if someone could give us at least 2 islands that would be the best for the kids. We are looking for historical things that would keep a 4&9 yr old interested :o, petting zoos, water parks etc. We want to do beaches just not every island. And the shopping which island(s) has the best shopping that would occupy their time. Thank you

We have done this cruise 2X, not including similar route other ships.

St.Thomas- easy shopping right at pier. We have not been to, but heard there is a a beach -Coki- I think that also has Coral World that I think would work for the kids -check it out- perhaps a sea lion encounter? http://coralworldvi.com/

if just want to shop-can take the Paradise tram up for the view (like a ski gondola up the hill). We have also been to Magen's Beach 4X -a National Park- just picked up a Safari taxi by shopping area on our own and gorgeous beach,clean,facilities,lifeguards etc. (about $8 taxi/way per adult, and $4 entry -the only beach in St.Thomas with an entry fee being a National Park). Barbados- hmm -beaches and tours may be a bit much for them, perhaps a quick taxi to downtown ($3-$p/person -5-10min) and walk around streets for shopping, many historical buildings (churches,monuments and a marina to look at boats -back to ship is easy for late lunch/naps, and there is a ship side cruise terminal that has shopping-we found it more pleasant in am-when a/c was still keeping up with heat of the day. Good day to easily entertain yourself cheap -by self taxi ride. There are plenty of sidewalks to push a stroller, and they seem to honor pedestrian first in crossings.

St.Lucia- not sure we always did inclusive restort

St.Kitts:we liked the sugar train with "senior" parents, but I bet the kids would get bored after train after awhile. The shopping here IMO -is poor-cheap soveniers,knockoffs that are poor quality.Need to get away from port area. Would enjoy the ship in am, eat and then after lunch catch a taxi (they will be loving looking for a fare) and go to Fort Harrison -short ride and beautiful grounds, great views. Can also stop at Caribelle Manor-see Batik process. (Last time we did go to South Friars beach -and very disappointed in water quality of rocks,things to step on -would not return there)

St.Maarten- lots of shopping in Phillipsburg across the way by water taxi -very easy, also offers boardwalk with a beach -they really improved and have built this area up. Lots of shopping, but not really for kids IMO. However the For the kids: coolest is Maho beach- by taxi- this is where the planes land flying overhead.The older kids will love it -unique experience no where else to be found. Make sure to arrange trip so leave by 2:30 to not risk getting caught in traffic as you are across St.Maarten a bit. You could also ask taxi driver to take you to a french bakery on the way too. There is a "Sunset Beach Bar there too" that has facilities and good for the baby. Just be sure to shield the baby when plane goes over to avoid sand "exfoliation". My Video link: http://travel.webshots.com/video/3073471340103372150yorCYU?vhost=travel

album photos at Maho: http://travel.webshots.com/album/577034652kbXtVt?vhost=travel&start=0

This should help -Have also linked to my album to help you get excited -any question feel free to ask -

http://travel.webshots.com/album/578174237LSPBfN?vhost=travel I haven't loaded any of our 2012 recent cruise photos from Victory yet.

Hey Thanks alot Buffettfan 225 for taking the time to write that!! Really appreciate it. Awesome pics as well. Was there anything you didnt like about the cruise? How about Formal nights should the kids be dressed to the T as well?

Let me think anything bad..not really, although we were pretty tired and needed a vacation when cruise was over.

As far as formal nights- the first formal night of sea day (Tues.) is the more "formal" of the two.The second formal night you still see dress up but a lot less formal, and sometime the "cruise" theme dresses start coming out -the maxi sundresses for instance. After 10 cruises, my DH (husband) now wears a pair of dress slacks & shirt and tie (skips the suitcoat for luggage weight). I wear a nice dress that one may wear to a wedding, and for shoes- to keep it light for packing- sandals that are versatile with more outfits than just dress up night. For kids- depends on if you desire some family portraits. I'd say church clothes would be best way to describe it. Khakis and maybe polos for the boys. Although some younger kids wore a tie -less common though. You will see all kinds from polos on guys to full suits, a few rare tuxes. In all honesty though for photos, I found the casual photo with the all white background to often be are best photos. The solid dark and dark clothes looked bland, and some backgrounds are pretty busy looking. Maybe coordinate your family one night in similar colors for "that family" portrait.

Also, we find better portrait results (More time for photographer to pose you) if you go at off times when the other party is dining, are after the dinner.

Again Thank You for your time and patience for answering with a great response! :) It gives us such better insight on the "formal" part of what we need to pack since we have never done that

You are very welcome-being a veteran cruiser that has sailed with our son since he was turning ten, and having done Southern Carib four times I would be happy to help answer additional questions, including items not to forget.

Feel free to email me at buffettfan225-carnival @yahoo.com (without the space in it) -just add you are CC member, or screen name so I know ok to open it.

We did Coki beach in St Thomas and yes Coral World is right next door. Our son was 6 and we took some small beach toys with us and he had a blast. Great snorkeling near the rocks (take dog biscuits and the fish will swarm you).

In St Lucia we did a party boat to the Twin Mountains and the walk in volcano. Son got to drive the boat back to the ship. This was a Carnival Excursion offered years ago; not sure if they still have it.

St Maarten is very clean, nice beach right near the water taxis drop off. Lots of shops near by.

Archived