non-us resident issues on yukon trips from skagway

Cruisehiker

I am British and am wondering what happens on the return if I cross the Canadian border at White Pass? Is it a full immigration procedure ie giving up green card in passport on way out and then filling it out on return? Also is the procedure the same if I go on an organised tour, and if I hire a car myself?

I'm assuming you are talking about the round trip White Pass railway trip....you don't actually get off the train, so there is no need for the immigration thing. The train stops, you swap sides (so everyone has an opportunity to see the great view) and return back to Skagway.

Peter, it's a very simple, quick crossing - I take Commonwealth citizens across regularly. Whether on an organized tour or independent, you hold your green card so there's nothing to fill out at either the Canadian Customs or going back into Alaska. :)

Murray

I have a similar question, except we will be crossing the Canadian Border to do a tour up into the Yukon.

We are Canadian citizens.

I am confused because doesn't the cruise ship take your passport? How am I supposed to have my passport with me on this excursion if the cruise ship has it?

We have taken a tour and passed back and forth between Canada and US, I am a US citizen and my husband is Canadian. They do infact hold his passport on every cruise we have sailed even ones leaving from Vancouver, but he has never had a problem.

When we were on the tour bus coming back and forth, they hardly said anything and no identification was asked for. The driver said how many US citizens are there and we held up hands and then he asked how many others, then when crossing he reported the numbers and off we went.

obviously 2 issues here - one for north americans, one for non-north americans like me. it seems from above answers that there is no revalidation of my entry papers and indeed I dont even need my passport for tours but what if I hire a car myself and drive over the border (as I understand you need to do to see the best scenery from skagway)? would I need my passport for this and, if so, would I need to fill my green entry form in again?

Don't know if you can rent a car - if you're Canadian apparently you're not allowed to rent a car and drive it from Skagway into Canada. Don't know about other nationalities. Also don't know why this is - seems very odd!

Peter, when you enter the U.S for the first time they take your immigration green card, and they staple the other section of it to your passport. This is removed from your passport on your final departure from the country. Last year we crossed the US/Canadian border a total of 11 times and it was only as we were flying home through Hawaii that they took the card from our passport. They certainly looked at our passport, but there was no more papers to be filled out. - assuming that your entry to the U.S is the same as ours (no visa) we were good for multiple entries within a period of 3 months

Archived