Luggage in cabin - # and storage?

annabanana

At least on Princess, the space under the bed is big enough to store my largest suitcase. We each bring a suitcase and a carry-on, plus a garmet bag for formal wear. I also bring an empty suitcase to haul home things I buy. It just nests inside my big suitcase going and is full coming back!

We have found the shelf in the closet is usually not used for much except life vests, and suitcases can fit there. Also any nooks in the closet on the floor work well. I'm told the room steward can store the larger cases for you if you wish, but we have never found that necessary.

As for amount of luggage - about the same as above.

I usually have a lot more clothes than I actually wear, and am learning to travel a little lighter. Though in Alaska, you could need more for protection from the cold, and to change if you become wet. My motto: it's better to have it and not need it, than not have it.....

For our 10 day cruises we bring the largest 2 in your set and roll the smaller one and carryon the duffle and the garmet bag. For 7 day, we leave the largest at home and just take the rest of the set.

First off we are a family of 3, my husband, myself and our 15 year old son who is almost as big as my husband, so basically 3 adults.

On our last Celebrity cruise - 7 days, we brought a 29 inch TravelPro Crew 4 Suiter, a 28 inch suiter and the TravelPro Crew 4 Rolling Garment Bag. All fit nicely under the bed after lifting up the frame to get it under.

Our luggage is huge so if we can get it under a bed anyone can get theirs under.

Anne Maria

American Airlines also has a 50 lb. per bag weight limit. I think all domestic carriers have this in place now from what I've been reading.

That's why my trip to Alaska will be more like 6 bags instead of 4. So still the same amount of clothes just split up into smaller and more luggage.

Anne Maria

Wow, so far all the great packers have replied. I don't know how to fit sweaters, turtlenecks, light raincoat, and some smuggled booze in one roller (big or small) and one carryon? I also would like to bring some work out clothes, extra socks as well. I'm a big fan of "rolling" clothes, I think that works nicely. Maybe I will have to sacrifice wine/champagne?

THanks for sharing your experience! Any packing tips still welcome!!

I'd say chunk the raincoat. If it's raining, the stores should be selling them $3 or less. Maybe a small umbrella to at least get you to Alaska T-shirt Company, or Tongass, etc.. And maybe go down to 2 sweaters. Workout clothes don't take that much space.

I won't travel with any more luggage than I can pick up and run thru the airport with. This usually means a large duffel with all my clothes rolled and a carry on. I also bring a folded up duffel for what I buy. I don't do formal, and plan on doing laundry at least once. I also usually buy a couple of tee shirts or garments along the way. I like to bring a couple of pairs of knit pants, and pair of jeans, a pair of khakis that can be paired with a nice shirt, a couple of tee shirts, a couple of nice button shirts, and a long skirt. For Alaska, a rain jacket and pants and a hat.

My computer is acting up :mad: so what I composed for this post was lost. It's never the same the second time.

But, I said that we also like to keep our bags manageble to where we could handle all of them if the need arose. I haven't started packing, but have done so mentally and my plan is to mix & match, using red and black as my basic wardrobe. We aren;t planning on being as formal as usual and will wear the same semi-formal clothes both times. Since we have a total of 14 days away from home, we'll most likely do laundry once on board. It really isn't bad because my husband helps me with it and we'll try to go early in the day when it is less crowded.

The last few times we flew, most recently being in March, I noticed that they weighed our suitcases as a family. That way the ones that weighed over 50 pounds (I know we had at least one, maybe 2) are averaged in with the lighter ones. I hope we don't get charged for being overweight next time. How can any giant suitcase that is jam packed weight less than 50 pounds?

Can't say I agree with you Momma. We fly out of JFK in NY, and they weight EVERY bag separately. We even asked if it is a total for all bags, and they said most certainly NOT. Thjey are pretty strict with this policy at some airports and others not too bad, but if you get caught there is a heafty penatly and you have no choice but to pay. Get a scale and weigh your bags before and know what to expect. Carry on as much as you can. A woman's 'purse' can be mighty big these days and that is usually not considered a carry on.

Giantfan13,

Most recently we flew out of Miami and Zurich and in both places they just loaded all the bags on together for the weigh in. I wonder if it's the airports or the airlines where the differences in policy occur. What airline did you fly?

I find it hard to pack one of those big ol' suitcases and have it not weigh too much. What good is all that space if it can't be filled? And to think I have an expansion zipper on my suitcase that I haven't used. I guess I won't be using it.

I just returned from a business trip. While waiting to check in, I watched passenger after passenger have to open their bags in front of God and everybody to move a few items from one bag to another in order to meet the weight limit. After moving items, each bag was weighed again individually to ensure it met weight limits. I witnessed this on Southwest in Ontario and Sacramento, CA. Last year I flew San Diego to Reagan National in DC. I got hit with a $25 overweight charge for my trip home due to the additional weight of paper material I collected at my conference. This was on Continental.

Maybe some airlines/airports are more particular than others, but I have learned my lesson. Incidentally, I thought it was funny that one guy unpacked six bottles of beer and was allowed to carry them on in a clear plastic bag the airline provided. Amazing that you can take a glass bottle on board but everyone is afraid of a mini-swiss army knife blade that couldn't cut a banana!:p

Archived