Parents of kids 3-6 years old: talk me into a cruise!

Smiles33

I think it depends on their ages. An active 2 year old would find a 5 hour flight a challenge but older kids might not. Yes, it can be boring but if you have in flight entertainment systems on the plane than it goes really quickly for them. Otherwise bring along a portable DVD player or Ipad etc. 5 hours is nothing for us - try 24 hours to Europe!!

OP said this was their first flight....i wouldnt chance their cooperation for 5 hours on the first time flying ever. I built my kids up to longer flights, but honestly we still dont fly further than 3.5 hours at a time because that is all the younger 2 can comfortably handle at one time. I know many people do it, but just MHO forcing a toddler to sit hours and hour on end being quiet and not distruptive can be challenging to say the least, and a bit unfair and exhausting!

Thanks all. After talking it over with DH, we are going back to our fallback option of just doing our normal roadtrip vacation. He doesn't want to splurge on nicer vacations until our little one stops napping, as it means we're trapped for at least 2 hours every afternoon. I grudgingly agreed, as I know the flexibility of a road trip and lower costs make sense. Just have to postpone our cruise for at least another year or two. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Did many a beach, relax vacations with kids, and also some very long flights and cruise and other vacations.

What is best only you can finally decide.

What I like about cruising is the moving hotel with entertainment. So many choices are not choices. Just there for you just minutes of walking away from you; breakfast, lunch, dinner all taken care of so to speak ( sit down, buffet, or by the pool ) There is the kids club, the pool, arcade, maybe a rock wall/water slide etc ( choose your ships amenties carefully ), there is the nightly and afternoon activities... The downside if that isn't what you want to do, that is all there is, and you are confined on a ship with thousand of other. Also the food, entertainment and other stuff really isn't that luxurious as it is made out to be.

There is the nice deal every day or every other day you land in a port with beach or other attractions ( sadly they aren't free, sometimes very pricey )

For us its a cruise every few years, which more often, but everytime the kids love it, but no way could I do it as my only or regular vacation either.

I'd almost always opt for a cruise over a land vacation. I feel they are the best value when all things are considered. My 5yr old is about to embark on her 10th cruise. Needless to say she enjoys it as well. As others have said, you get adult time (if you utilize the kids club). Someone else cooks and cleans for you. There are plenty of activities that are included in the price. Cruises are great.

Ironically, I've been reluctant to sail the Mexican Riviera though...there is just a lot going on in Mexico these days. We are waiting until things settle down a bit. I think if it were me I'd cruise the Hawaiian Islands. Hawaii is beautiful and cruising there was a great value. Everything is so expensive. We saved a bundle by being able to eat and reside on the ship.

I think you are absolutely right to save flying and cruising for when they are a bit older. I did not fly with my kids until they were 4 and 6, and then only for around 3 hours. Before this we used to drive throughout the UK and stay on farms, or with a relative in the Scottish countryside. We had frequent stops for running around, and if they had a meltdown they didn't annoy anyone but us! We flew to Orlando when they were 7 and 9, on Virgin, as they have good in flight entertainment, and they were fine. we are from London UK, so that was 8+ hours. Much as I love my kids, after the first time in a hotel 'family room' in Greece, I found 4 to a room claustrophobic, as the kids were so excited, they did not sleep well, so kept all of us up until late at night, then woke early next day ready to start all over again! Ever since, we have always had suites with sep bedroom in hotels, and got good deals with free and discounted kids prices. The thought of all of us being on a ship in a tiny cabin with the kids 'sleeping' on shelves above our heads never really appealed, neither did having to pay full fare for them in an adjoining cabin. So, we are cruising with them next month for the first time, aged 14 and 16 so pricewise they will be charged as adults wherever we go, so the 2 cabins does not make much difference to our holiday budget. We have taken them on land holidays throughout Europe, to the US, to Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand, so for us this Med cruise will be another new experience for all of us.

I think the OP has received a wealth of good advice from everyone.

Having read about the question of whether 5 hours is too long a flight for a 3 year old, I just thought I'd throw in a different angle. If we cruise, we have to embark on a VEERRY long flight. We have flown with both our children to Australia and with my daughter to London. Those flights are 16hours and 10 hours respectively. It really depends on the child: my daughter flew at age 20 months to London and 3years to Australia and we had not a moments problems with her on either of the flights. My son flew to Australia with us at age 18 months and it was an awful experience.

To anyone contemplating flying long distance with a young child: it can be done, but you need to take your child into consideration. Some children handle it without a problem; for others it is a challenge.

• 2 years later...

This is a very old thread, but I'm the OP and thought I'd update it! We have taken 2 family trips to Maui now (the girls did great on their first ever flight, 5 hours long, at ages 4 and 7) and I'm seriously considering a cruise now that they are 5 and 8 (and would be almost 6 and 9 by the time we go on a cruise next year).

We like to lounge a lot on our vacations. We rented a condo both times in Maui, with DH cooking breakfasts, me cleaning up afterward, but otherwise enjoying lunch and dinner at various island restaurants. Yet I think a cruise offers opportunities to both lounge and be active. I'm thinking of trying a short Pacific Coastal cruise where we can drive to the port and test out the idea of a cruise. DH and both DDs get motion sick on car drives (DH if he doesn't drive, which is why he always drives), so that's my biggest concern.

Quality of the food also remains an issue (DH is getting pickier about his food as he becomes a better cook!). I just started a new thread asking about cabin size. Given our vacation style (lounging, reading books, playing in the pool as opposed to seeing all the tourist sights and go-go-go), should I splurge on a bigger mini-suite?

You might also want to consider splurging on specialty restaurants. My family is picky about food and we have generally been quite happy with regular dining on Princess, and very happy with the specialty dining on NCL and HAL (the regular dining on NCL was very weak but Moderno was excellent. Breakfast was kind of a crowded mess on NCL, but suite passengers have access to their own excellent restaurant on NCL).