Panama Canal, Star or Pearl, Fall 2013

A.E.M.

This cruise is on our bucket list so really want to make it count without breaking the bank.

Which ship would give us more bang for our buck.

Would you go from LA to Miami or vice versa.

thank you

My preference would be the Pearl, if only for the differences in the ships. The Pearl has for me two big advantages, the Great Outdoors back of the ship open deck eating and sitting area and the Spinnaker lounge which is a large observation area and bar top forward. We've done the PC cruise from Miami to L.A. and have it booked again this Sept the other way. Probably...probably, the best weather will be during the April cruise. The Sept cruise is during hurricane season which could be an issue. I do recommend at least a balcony room for this wonderful experience. A must read before you go is A Path Between the Seas. You will find the building of the canal to be more of an accomplishment than you could ever have imagined, and you will view it with much more interest.

I have made this crossing twice both on The Pearl once in each direction. I enjoyed the LA to Miami more than the other direction. The weather was good in both times. The only real difference in which direction is: Miami to LA the Canal crossing is Day 4 and from LA to Miami Day 10. The Pearl also has a jumbo size screen in the lobby area and they broadcast the Bow Web Cam all day. It gives a different perspective an they have lots of seating. If you or someone in your party has mobility issues, it is a great place to watch without being in the sun or humidity. You can not go wrong either way. It is a wonderful experience.

Archived