Breaking News From The Grand

Shogun

I think one thing many of you who have posted on this thread need to remember is, not everyone has a long list of past cruises to their credit. Some people save and plan for years to take a cruise in Europe or wherever and some may only have one chance at it for whatever reason. I agree, some of the ranting on here regarding missed ports is silly but sometimes people just need to vent simply because they're awfully disappointed. I know if it was me, and a European cruise would be a BIG DEAL for us, I would be truly devastated at missing any port. Not that I'd be on CC ranting about it but I certainly do have compassion for those who have this happen to their much anticipated vacation.

We once missed four ports out of ten on a cruise (1: a storm that kept us hundreds of miles away from the port;2: high winds when we were less than a half mile from the dock;3: iceberg sitting where the ship needed to anchor; 4: another storm that we avoided by hundreds of miles).

Getting upset when this occurs does not make the port visits magically occur.

Disappointment, of course. But nothing to get angry about.

At least Shogun will have more time for breakfast at Sabatini's. He should be sure to let each one of them know he is in an inside cabin and really enjoying his important special perk. I am sure each of them will be excited to explore what special perks the captain may have lined up for them as full-suite guests, having paid some good $$$ to cruise on the Grand.

I think one thing many of you who have posted on this thread need to remember is, not everyone has a long list of past cruises to their credit. Some people save and plan for years to take a cruise in Europe or wherever and some may only have one chance at it for whatever reason. I agree, some of the ranting on here regarding missed ports is silly but sometimes people just need to vent simply because they're awfully disappointed. I know if it was me, and a European cruise would be a BIG DEAL for us, I would be truly devastated at missing any port. Not that I'd be on CC ranting about it but I certainly do have compassion for those who have this happen to their much anticipated vacation.

I agree and very well said. I have only done one 12 Med cruise back in May 2000 and I would have been so disappointed if we had missed any port :(

Missing a port in Alaska or the Caribbean - no big deal I guess. But a European port that I may not get back to would be sad :(

I agree with you. I'm still hoping to someday get to go to Europe. I'd be disappointed if ports were cancelled. I know no one is to blame, of course, and I wouldn't rant about it, but I'd be disappointed. I'm a person who loves sea days and I always say I'd take a cruise to nowhere, but if it was possible my only chance to ever see these place....well, it would be a disappointment.

The beds' date=' the weather, the kids running amuck, the room was too cold, the room was too hot, the smokers, the lack of smokers, the chair hogs, the Wake Show, the guy in the inside cabin who ate breakfast at Sabatini's, etc...[/quote']

Ha ha:D

Whenever we have missed a port it has been due to weather issues and I have always thought that I would rather miss the port than take a chance that the ship may be damaged in some way. I would probably be annoyed by strike action causing me to miss a port but I think that I would prefer to miss it rather than risk being stuck in a port and possibly miss other ports. It is a holiday and not worth getting too stressed about.

At least Shogun will have more time for breakfast at Sabatini's.

Good luck to Shogun, anyone who complains is probaly just envious, if I were offer the chance to eat breakfast there I would go and enjoy it even though we only ever book a balcony room.

I realise thank goodness that the strike is now off, but I really must add my feelings about some of the comments here.

My sister saved long and hard and payed double the fare for a single cabin to see the fjords (not with Princess). Her itinerary was cancelled because of the strike and the cruise company changed the itinerary to Keil Canal, Warnemunde, Copenhagen, Zeebrugge and Gothenburg. She has visited those countries before and would not have chosen to go to them again on a cruise. She wanted to go to Norway and no-where else. Of course she is bitterly disappointed and does not think she will ever have the money again to take another cruise.

We are not talking about a missing port we are talking about a missing itinerary. Regardless of whose fault it is this is still a huge disappointment and not what she paid all that money for. To say that people should just accept that ports is fine if it is just ports, we all appreciate that weather can cause this. The fact is that she has paid £2000 for a holiday she would never had booked.

Please have some consideration for people who are not in such a good financial position. They are unable to just shrug their shoulders and say we will go again another time.

I agree with you. I'm still hoping to someday get to go to Europe. I'd be disappointed if ports were cancelled. I know no one is to blame, of course, and I wouldn't rant about it, but I'd be disappointed. I'm a person who loves sea days and I always say I'd take a cruise to nowhere, but if it was possible my only chance to ever see these place....well, it would be a disappointment.

Yes, anyone would be disappointed to miss a port, but that's the chance you take when you book a cruise. There is always the possibility of a missed port due to many circumstances. However, to let it ruin your entire trip does you a great disservice. If any port is more important than the entire cruise your best bet would be to fly there and take a land trip. We're taking the Emerald fall TA, and we're very much looking forward to both Oslo and Greenland, but if we don't get there I'll still enjoy the cruise.

I've seen such extreme ranting in the pursers' area after a missed port that I feared for their health--they looked like they were ready to pop a blood vessel. Can it be worth that? I think there are people who go on cruises with extremely high--and unrealistic--expectations and then proceed to look for disappointment every minute of the day. What a sad way to live.

At least Shogun will have more time for breakfast at Sabatini's. He should be sure to let each one of them know he is in an inside cabin and really enjoying his important special perk. I am sure each of them will be excited to explore what special perks the captain may have lined up for them as full-suite guests, having paid some good $$$ to cruise on the Grand.

Whoa there, Shogun has traveled well, given excellent reviews of his trips and as far as I'm concerned he has merited and/or earned every perk he has is given. Sour grapes is not nice.

Great to hear it's back on Shogun. We missed Oslo 2 years ago due to strikes and it sounds like this has been going on and off since then (or that's how it feels). It sounds like they are always striking (probably a huge exageration ;P) It's a shame for the cruisers and for Oslo who miss out on the income. As for any recompense, in our time we have missed several ports due to weather and the strike and never even knew you should get your port fees re-imbursed until I read it on here. Certainly Princess never offered it!

We too will be on the Grand on July 21st for the Norwegian fjords cruise so I hope we can at least sail and view the fjords, we have been looking forward to it for over a year. Happy sailing one and all. :)

Hi All

Captain has informed us that strike is off so we are going to Oslo.

yours Shogun

HI Shogun

I know you are the font of all knowledge on Princess and wonder if you can confirm whether or not a report on another board is correct about the Sanctuary, in that there is no pre-booking, only on a day to day basis. Has Princess therefore withdrawn the option of booking the Santuary for the whole of the cruise and you have to queue up on a day to day basis to secure you bed on that day? We are due on a 17 day cruise and dont relish having to get up at 7.am each morning to stand in line when on holiday.

The Sanctuary is one of the reasons we use Princess and cannot believe that they would withdraw this facility, which guarantees some people pay for the Sanctuary irrespective of the weather by booking the whole cruise in there.

HI Shogun

I know you are the font of all knowledge on Princess and wonder if you can confirm whether or not a report on another board is correct about the Sanctuary, in that there is no pre-booking, only on a day to day basis. Has Princess therefore withdrawn the option of booking the Santuary for the whole of the cruise and you have to queue up on a day to day basis to secure you bed on that day? We are due on a 17 day cruise and dont relish having to get up at 7.am each morning to stand in line when on holiday.

The Sanctuary is one of the reasons we use Princess and cannot believe that they would withdraw this facility, which guarantees some people pay for the Sanctuary irrespective of the weather by booking the whole cruise in there.

I think that this is a better way to do it. With the introduction of staggered boarding, it would not be fair on the passengers who are last to board. It makes more sense for people to be able to book on a day to day basis.

Personally, I think the sanctuary is not worth the money.

:D

The point I was trying to make was that, as we are elderly passengers we find it very difficult to use the loungers in the other parts of the ship, due to the fact that they are so low and was I suffer from back trouble, one of the reasons we use Princess is the fact that we are able to book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise. As my husband is over 80, he does find it difficult to stand in line for over an hour sometimes on a daily basis over the whole cruise in order the secure a bed. We are prepared to pay 'up front' for the cruise, bearing in mind we may not be able to use the Sanctuary on some days.

Only a certain number of loungers are available for whole cruise booking, and the majority of them remain for those who wish to book on a daily basis. As staggered boarding does not seem to be rigidly implemented, then the facility for those who wish to board early and book the Sanctuary still seems to be available.

Give it a rest.. His dining situation has nothing to do with this thread.

Shogun was kind enough to post about a possible distruption due to a labor strike that might affect other Grand cruiser's here. Your grudge has no bearing on this thread or it's subject

Srpilo

Sorry to hear that. I bet some people are screaming that this has ruined their vacation and they want a refund. :(

So very true!

We once missed four ports out of ten on a cruise (1: a storm that kept us hundreds of miles away from the port;2: high winds when we were less than a half mile from the dock;3: iceberg sitting where the ship needed to anchor; 4: another storm that we avoided by hundreds of miles).

Getting upset when this occurs does not make the port visits magically occur.

Disappointment, of course. But nothing to get angry about.

Oh my goodness. That is alot of ports to miss. On my very first Caribbean cruise we encountered very bad weather and missed the first port plus the chance to hang out on deck by the pool for a few days. Since this was only my second cruise and I had really looked forward to the hot weather cruise experience I was disappointed. However, that was it. A bit disappointed - didn't think my cruise was ruined. As a matter of fact, that cruise still has a special place in my heart as we had some great experiences. We made it to all the other ports and had a great time!

Hi All

Captain has informed us that strike is off so we are going to Oslo.

yours Shogun

Very cool!

Archived