St. John Trunk Bay & Snorkel Trails

aberthelot

Would you take this excursion?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take this excursion?

• Yes
    • No

Hi, has anyone gone on this excursion through Carnival? I am just wondering if it is worth our time and money to take this. I am trying to find the area on the website to book the St. John Champagne Catamaran Sailaway....does anyone know the price?

Thanks!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in St. Thomas for the day on the Allure in late May we chartered a sailboat and they took us over to St. John. The first mate told us that the underwater trail is not in good shape due to the excessive amount of people there. I was there twice and although the beach is beautiful, you might want to try another option.

I'll second that. The coral around the trail is, well, worn. Keep going though. The coral and fish at Trunk Bay get better and better the further out on the small island you go. As far as beauty and beach access goes, Trunk Bay is outstanding. If you charter, consider stopping anywhere along the north coast of St. John. Amazing snorkeling anywhere you jump in. It's just hard to get to without boat access.

When I was in St. Thomas for the day on the Allure in late May we chartered a sailboat and they took us over to St. John. The first mate told us that the underwater trail is not in good shape due to the excessive amount of people there. I was there twice and although the beach is beautiful, you might want to try another option.

I was going to almost say some of it is turning white ( dying ) We unintentionally are killing it due to sunscreen, hairspray, cologne...etc Maybe they should make folks shower off before going in the water.... :confused:

We did this trip with Princess last year. The snorkel trail is boring, but it's more than compensated for by the snorkeling you can do on your own. Trunk Bay is one of the most picturesque beaches you'll ever see. I highly recommend the trip over. The entire National park is a GEM!!

The Trunk Bay snorkeling is probably the most basic snorkeling you can find on the island. Forget the excursion and get over there on your own, then get a taxi to take you to places like Waterlemon and Maho. Friday at Maho Bay we saw a whole school of stingrays, several sea turtles, a small shark, and tons of large fish.

Like others have said, for beauty and crystal clear water, Trunk is in a league of its own. But it's not the place to go if you want to see anything under water.

We did this trip with Princess last year. The snorkel trail is boring, but it's more than compensated for by the snorkeling you can do on your own. Trunk Bay is one of the most picturesque beaches you'll ever see. I highly recommend the trip over. The entire National park is a GEM!!

Hi, can you leave explore other areas for snorkeling while you are on the excursion? Thanks.

I took the 1/2 day Catamaran Champagne tour through Princess - it is probably the same tour. We didn't go to Trunk Bay though - we went to Cinnamon Bay I believe, so you might want to check. I actually thought Trunk Bay was better the two times I had been there but I did go further out.

After many trips to St. John from cruises to St. Thomas, we finally did the Trunk Bay/snorkeling trail last November. We were extremely disappointed! The trail was in bad shape, not much to see, and the trip over was too long for the amount of time and money spent.

If you love to snorkel, do yourself a favor and hire a semi private day sail (Simplicity charters comes to mind, another is Rumbaba) that will take you off the coast of St. John to several locations and you will get a GREAT tour that includes lunch and drinks. Most leave Red Hook so you need to meet the boat there, but so worth it!

Archived