Book suggestions for early readers?

ElsieToo

My DS (5 years old) just began reading simple chapter books on his own, and I would like to buy a couple to bring on our trip as surprises. Do your kids have any favorites of that style (easy chapter readers)?

Flat Stanley was a little difficult for him to read, but he managed it. He's a very typical 5 year old - likes super heroes, pirate stories, Disney characters, etc. I know I can go to the store and just see what's there, but I'd love to hear suggestions of tried and true favorites. :)

We do have iPads and Nook readers, but for DS I prefer regular paper-based books. Thanks!

My 7 year old just hit into chapter books this year and is loving the Diaries of a Wimpy Kid series...but it's a LOT of boy humor (and I suspect some of the humor is going over his head). He picked it because it's popular among kids he knows. He also likes the Bad Kitty books and Pokemon books. My son also likes the occasional science book (everything you never wanted to know about insert-animal-here) and is currently fascinated by how-to-draw books. He spent an entire morning over our Memorial Day trip learning to draw sea creatures. It was awesome!

In the reading together categories of chapter books (and hopefully reading them on his own later when he has more confidence in himself) the How to Train Your Dragon books are very good. Imaginative and funny!

Just a suggestion that people on here gave to me when I was looking for "cruise gift" ideas for our 3 year old for her first cruise last year.

There is a Cruise ship Captain that actually wrote a book (two of them I believe) and the book is called "Peter The Cruise Ship". I know they have a regular book and an Alaskan version too. My daughter loved this book and was so excited to be on a ship/cruise and had a book that related to it too.

Just a thought...if you wanted to give your child something cruise related. :)

My 6yr old loves the magic treehouse series. He has read almost all of them, so I'm interested in this thread too. He wants to read Harry Potter, but I think he's too young-even for the first book. Maybe next year.

My 7 year old just hit into chapter books this year and is loving the Diaries of a Wimpy Kid series...but it's a LOT of boy humor (and I suspect some of the humor is going over his head). He picked it because it's popular among kids he knows. He also likes the Bad Kitty books and Pokemon books. My son also likes the occasional science book (everything you never wanted to know about insert-animal-here) and is currently fascinated by how-to-draw books. He spent an entire morning over our Memorial Day trip learning to draw sea creatures. It was awesome!

In the reading together categories of chapter books (and hopefully reading them on his own later when he has more confidence in himself) the How to Train Your Dragon books are very good. Imaginative and funny!

Oh, I LOVE the idea of how to draw type books - right up his alley! I think the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are probably too advanced for him (he doesn't start Kindergarten until this fall, so he doesn't have experience with school yet), but I'll look for the Bad Kitty books at the store (he's read a couple Pokemon books and liked them. And I read him the first How to Train your Dragon book this year- very enjoyable! :)

Mitsugirly - wonderful suggestions! I'll look for them.

sherryf & Mandy923 - thanks! I've heard good things about those, too. I'll check them out.

My DS was a very reluctant reader until he discovered the Percy Jackson series in 4th grade. When he was younger he liked the Magic Tree House Series, the Black Lagoon Series, and the Fly Guy series.

DD is still a very reluctant reader (shes in 3rd grade) but she likes the Bad Kitty Series, the Geronimo Stillton series, and her all time favorite is the Heidi Hecklebeck series (not sure if this is too girlish).

Why not make a trip to the book store with him to see what he is interested in, then go back later to purchase. You said he is 5 and an early reader but what reading level is he on? (If he has been tested for a reading level.) You can look up books by the lexile or AR reading scores (or whatever reading test he took to determine the level.)

My 10 year old lexile scores came on grade 13.5 and my 9 year old daughter lexile reading grade came back at grade 7.5. My son just finished the Hunger Games and is reading Halo now. He read the Wimpy Kid series when it first came out and each new book within the first couple days of release. He has read Captain Underpants, etc. My 18 year old liked the Magic Treehouse, but there are so many new series for boys now.

Why not make a trip to the book store with him to see what he is interested in, then go back later to purchase. You said he is 5 and an early reader but what reading level is he on? (If he has been tested for a reading level.) You can look up books by the lexile or AR reading scores (or whatever reading test he took to determine the level.)

He hasn't been tested yet (he starts Kindergarten this Fall), but based on the private tutoring I used to do I'd say his reading level is somewhere around where I would have expected him to be at the end of 1st grade or the beginning of 2nd. I was hoping to avoid a trip to the store right now because I really want it to be a surprise, but I might take him to the library this weekend to see what appeals to him. He's still at an age where he chooses books based on how the cover looks, rather than how much he will enjoy the content, which is why I appreciate the suggestions of those that have already been through this.

He read Captain Underpants a couple of weeks ago, but didn't like it because he didn't understand why they were being so mean to the teacher (bless his little heart).

Thanks for ALL the suggestions, everyone- I'm writing them down!

My eight year old - enjoys writing stories with pictures. Her cruise book she wrote was A Dog's Cruise Vacation. She imagined what a dog would want to do, eat and where he would want to go if there was a cruise ship just for him.

It was very cute with the bacon buffet, puppy club, formal night with steak, and big screen movies.... You get the idea. Just a fun way to keep her interested in writing and reading - she ended up sharing at school when she returned. It was a big hit and took alot of imagination.

Other books to consider for that age might be Barbara Park - Skinny Bones and others. Very funny light hearted stories. My son used to read these at night when he was about six and all I could hear was him giggling!

Teri

Archived