I cruised like a Norwegian on the Star to Bermuda from NY on 5/27 – 6/3 !

LaPrincesa

Here are a few thoughts about the cruise.:

I got to the pier at 9:00. By 11:45 I was on the ship. The check-in process went smoothly – I was impressed. My luggage arrived in my room by 5:30.

I had a balcony cabin on deck number 9. The room was a little on the small side, but nicely designed. I found the space to be enough for a solo traveler but I think it would be tight for 2 people. I thought that it was odd that they had a tiny old 90s box TV. But I really didn’t go on the cruise to watch TV.

My cabin steward (Jerry) introduced himself the first day and I can say that he did an outstanding job keeping my cabin tidy.

On embarkation day I had lunch in Versailles restaurant. I ordered the NY strip steak and had the Vietnamese summer rolls as an appetizer. For lunch, I found the quality of the food in Versailles to be good. On the last night I ate at Versailles restaurant. I ordered the NY strip steak (again) and I am sorry to say it was awful. I dined at the specialty restaurants except “La Cucina” and “Moderno”. I found the specialty restaurants to be more intimate.

I attended the Latitudes party and the Cruise Critic “Meet & Greet”. Both were outstanding. At the M&G, there was a signup sheet for a bridge tour. I got to see the bridge on Friday afternoon – it was awesome!

I only attended one show and that was “Band on the run” I really enjoyed the show. The singing and dancing were very good.

I purchased the spa pass and I am glad that I did. I spent a lot of time there. The spa did not have the thermal lounge chairs like the Jewel had. I was always able to get a lounge chair in the spa. I found that “the towel game” was being played a lot on the pool deck. I did find the “Quiet Zone” that was on deck 13. I was able to get a lounge chair there without any hassle. There was even a hot tub at this location. I did not see any children in this area.

It was great being in Bermuda for 3 days. On the 3rd day, we received a notice that there would be a disruption in public transportation due to a transit union meeting. On that day I just hung around the pier.

Once the ship arrived in NYC, I was able to walk off with my luggage at 7:45AM...

The ship appeared to be well maintained and in good condition. I would definitely cruise on her again. I truly did cruise like a Norwegian!

~ La Princesa

Happy to read that you had a great time.

I really did enjoy the sailing! Just got an email from my NCL PCC. They have some unbelievable fares for the same sailing....may do it again. I am hooked on NCL :D

~La Princesa

Thanks for posting your review! We will be on the Star in 170 days too many!

I was glad to hear about the quiet zone and no kids. We probably wont get a spa pass due to the many days in a row in ports, so that is good to hear!

Glad you had a fantastic cruise!

I really did enjoy the sailing! Just got an email from my NCL PCC. They have some unbelievable fares for the same sailing....may do it again. I am hooked on NCL :D

~La Princesa

Loved your Title!

Come back for the Sept. 23rd cruise. We'll be on that one, and looking forward to getting to know the Star.

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a cruise on my own this summer; the very same trip you did actually. Can you write a bit about your experiences cruising solo? My biggest concern is safety; I've cruised 6 times, but never on my own. Is it safe to go out at night? Were there any "getting to know you" type activities? Can you arrange to sit with other solo cruisers at dinner?

I appreciate any and all info/advice that you can give me!

Best,

Caro

LaPrincesa: You mentioned you got to the pier at 9. Were there still a lot of folks around who disembarked from the sailing that docked the day you left? How long before embarkation started?

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a cruise on my own this summer; the very same trip you did actually. Can you write a bit about your experiences cruising solo? My biggest concern is safety; I've cruised 6 times, but never on my own. Is it safe to go out at night? Were there any "getting to know you" type activities? Can you arrange to sit with other solo cruisers at dinner?

Best,

Caro

I have done all of my cruises solo...they did have some singles parties onboard. I did not attend any of them. However, I did meet some great people at the Meet and Greet and the Latitudes party. I ate all of my meals solo, I am not sure if they can make arrangements to eat with other solo passengers...but it never hurts to ask!

~ La Princesa

Glad you had a good time. We will be taking our first cruise ever on Star in Feb. What is the "spa package?" I am trying to learn all I can before the cruise! Thanks!

I purchased a "spa pass" for the cruise. What it is is a pass that allows you to use the spa's hot tubs, sauna, steam room, relaxation rooms and lap pool. When you purchase this pass, they place a special sticker on the back of your room card.

~ La Princesa

LaPrincesa: You mentioned you got to the pier at 9. Were there still a lot of folks around who disembarked from the sailing that docked the day you left? How long before embarkation started?

There were a lot of folks disembarking from the previous sailing. But the pier was well organized. Everything was clearly labeled. Holland America also had a ship in the pier also. There was a waiting area for passengers on both ships. I was on the ship at around 11:30 - 11:45. Hope this helps.

~La Princesa

Hi,

Best,

Caro

greetings! i was reading this thread in preparation for my cruise (this sunday!( and wanted to reply to this. i did this same cruise--but on the gem--in october solo, and i found it to be PERFECT for a solo traveler. bermuda was safe and easy to navigate, and the NCL dining is fantastic as a solo. i ended up only having dinner by myself a few times--because i made friends and with freestyle dining it is super easy to just join together and share a meal. and when i did dine alone it was fine--at a two top. i never felt uncomfortable once. i wish i could say the same for my solo cruise on royal caribbean, but i can not. i'd do NCL solo again in a heartbeat (in fact, i almost wish my husband was NOT coming with me on this next one!)

here are some posts i wrote about my solo cruising experience...the first is on my own site and the other two are on sites i guest post on...

http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2011/11/21/top5solocruise/

http://solofriendly.com/cruising-to-bermuda-solo-the-journey-and-the-destination/

http://solotravelerblog.com/solo-sea-myth-romantic-cruise/

the one thing i would say is to not count on the solo meet and greets very much; they were not well attended if attended at all. just go to things you enjoy--if you like bingo, go to bingo, if you like trivia, go to trivia etc. that's where i met lots of people. i even ended up sitting at the table in the asian restaurant for over an hour after a wine tasting one day, chatting with the people i'd shared a wine tasting table with. i had a blast.

We will be on the Star July 1st and I can't wait. I have read nothing but positive reviews about the Star thanks to those who posted. We did Bermuda as well last year and missed doing a couple of things which we plan to rectify on this trip. My bags are pretty much packed and I am doing a happy dance :D

• 1 month later...
Loved your Title!

Come back for the Sept. 23rd cruise. We'll be on that one, and looking forward to getting to know the Star.

Well I will be sailing on the Sept 23rd cruise. My PCC at NCL made me an offer I could not refuse. :D

I dined at the specialty restaurants except “La Cucina” and “Moderno”.

You missed out! Next time you're on the Star, go to La Cucina... My wife and I thought it was on par with Le Bistro - and it was CHEAP! I think it's the best kept secret on the ship...

You missed out! Next time you're on the Star, go to La Cucina... My wife and I thought it was on par with Le Bistro - and it was CHEAP! I think it's the best kept secret on the ship...

Will be sure to check it out in September!

Was on the Jewel in December and ate at their Italian restaurant ( I think it is called Mama's...). Was not impressed with the food.

Thanks for the recommendation!

~ La Princesa

• 2 weeks later...
Loved your Title!

Guess what? I will be on the same sailing as you! My NCL PCC made me an offer I couldn't refuse! And I jumped right on it.

~ La Princesa

Archived