Kindle or Nook

mominkaty

love my kindle keyboard 3g...since barnes and noble closed all my bookstores, i will NOT get anything from them...i also find more variety (and more free books) available for the kindle!

At least Amazon kept all their local bookstores open!

We are a Nook family. The nice thing about them, not sure about the Kindle, but if you register them all with one email address, you share all your books.

I also use my Nook Color to read at night, no extra light needed. The page lights up. You can have it as a black screen with white lit up letters or as a lit up background with black letters. You can also adjust the brightness of the screen. The brightness or lack of never bothers my hubby when I read at night.

But all and all, they are both rather close. Last I knew, the Nook has a slightly larger screen.

Happy choosing!!

I wouldn't buy a basic e-reader even if it was $79 because you can spend around $200 and get the Kindle Fire or Nook Color. I bought two of Nook Colors for my kids ages 5 and 7. I did a lot of research before the purchase and found an independent site that compared the two. Nook Color has the option to add memory chips (not sure what you call them). Nook Color also had a slightly faster speed and sharper screen. They use it quite a bit for Netflix. I guess one of the downsides is that only a certain percentage of memory can be used for non-Barnes and Noble apps. Also you want to check out the prices of books on Barnes and Noble to see what you'll be paying in compared to Amazon.

We are a Nook family. The nice thing about them, not sure about the Kindle, but if you register them all with one email address, you share all your books.

Oh that is the other thing about what I like about the Nook Color. When I bought the kids each a Nook Color I load all the same games and books to each of them and only pay for one set.

i have the Nook 3G(original) and the NookColor. I purchased the Nook Simple Touch for my mom for Christmas. She loves it too!

As for free books...literally there are THOUSANDS of free books for the Nook. And....every Friday there is FREEdom Friday's. Free ebook to download. Normally, "first runs" or newer.

The e-ink Kindle 3g is great for reading any location. The Kindle Fire is a good tablet for other things, but not reading. Took my e-ink Kindle on the last cruise and read everywhere I went - in sun and shade.

(I also like the buttons on the side to turn the pages - on the 3g. On some Kindles and Nooks you have to tap or swipe the screen to turn the page.)

Same with all the kindles.

Note: Anything that is computer-screen like (Fire - Nook Color) will be difficult to read in bright sunlight.

E-inks (normal nook/kindle) will be as easy as print to to read in sunlight.

iPad is LED though...how does it do in the sun? Also, I like eink because I'm on a computer all day, so it's easier for my eyes...but a tablet is definitely convenient for a lot of things.

I have an iPad, but once we have the money, I will probably get a Kindle because reading on the iPad for too long eventually makes my eyes wonky. It is much better if you play with the colors and make the letters light n a dark background, though.

I absolutely love my Nook Simple Touch. I use it all the time for reading (even in the claimshell on Liberty in Serenity). At the time I bought it, it was the only dedicated ereader that was touch screen which made it easier for me to use. I already had a touch screen smart phone and having to use keyboards and such just fustrated me on the kindle. We also have an ipad, but i have to second those that say to get an eink reader. The ipad is hard to use when it's really sunny out and is much heavier. My nook fits in my purse and i've been known for forget that it's in there, I don't notice the weight difference that much.

The only downside is that if you wanted games on your ebook reader, the nook simple touch is only an ereader. I never really play the games, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

i have the Nook 3G(original) and the NookColor. I purchased the Nook Simple Touch for my mom for Christmas. She loves it too!

As for free books...literally there are THOUSANDS of free books for the Nook. And....every Friday there is FREEdom Friday's. Free ebook to download. Normally, "first runs" or newer.

What is the Nook 3G? I didn't think any of the Nooks had 3G?

I also use my Nook Color to read at night, no extra light needed. The page lights up. You can have it as a black screen with white lit up letters or as a lit up background with black letters. You can also adjust the brightness of the screen. The brightness or lack of never bothers my hubby when I read at night.

But all and all, they are both rather close. Last I knew, the Nook has a slightly larger screen.

Happy choosing!!

You can do the same regarding registration with your Kindle. Also, the person who downloads Epub files, there's a simple and free program you can get to convert Epub (or any other ebook file) into Kindle format, though I understand maybe not wanting to go through the extra step.

I have a Kindle Touch 3G, after previously having the 2nd Generation regular Kindle. I really love the Kindle, and I find that it has a better bookstore and better service than B&N. While B&N is a relative latecomer to the digital media game, Amazon was there first and also, as a company, is 100% focused on online content and online content delivery. That's the core of their business and they do it very, very well. I find the experience of using their store to be more pleasant, the stores options to be more packed, and the ease of use to be the best.

Also, if you an an Amazon prime member, you can get 1 free book per month from the Amazon Kindle Lending Library. The Lending Library doesnt' include every single Kindle book an Amazon, but it has a lot of great titles, including all of the Harry Potter books, available for free download. A prime membership costs $80, but considering e-books are around $10 a piece, if you read as much as I do the membership pays for itself. And of course it has other benefits (free two-day shipping from Amazon.com, free Amazon instant streaming video (their Netflix-like service), etc.). I don't know if Nook has something similar, and I don't think B&N does video streaming at all?

In terms of the devices themselves they're very similar, but in terms of the services/store/selection, I do think amazon has the edge. Hope you love whatever you choose!

Personally, I love love love my Kindle, but there is a great deal for a Nook today on eBay. Under their daily deals, they are offering buy a Nook Color, get a Nook Simple Touch free! For anyone debating, that would be enough to tip my decision if I didn't have a Kindle already!

Get the iPad and download the Kindle & Nook apps for free. Have the best of both worlds..

The ipad screen stinks in the sun. My sunglasses are polarized, and if I have them on, I can't see anything on my ipad.

We are also a kindle family. We have 3 amongst us and we love them. My niece bought the nook because she had to have it, but after Christmas that year, she barely touched it. She said "Well, I didn't think I'd have to BUY books, and they're too much of a hastle to get free books from the library"

I may be one of the few, but I load up my kindle for each cruise, and I'm always doing something fun I barely pick the thing up. Ditto for loading up songs on my iphone... I spend time putting together the perfect cruise mix, yet my iphone stays in the safe the whole time.

Good luck with your decision!

Shawn

The only downside is that if you wanted games on your ebook reader, the nook simple touch is only an ereader. I never really play the games, so it wasn't a big deal for me.

The Kindle Fire can play Angry Birds, etc.

The regular Kindles can play other games. Right now I'm slogging thru brain game book.

But it is more cumbersome on the regular Kindle than on the Fire.

Another consideration is the charging cord.

All our Kindles use a microUSB.

The microUSB also charges DD's camera and phone. Only one cord to replace if lost.:D

May not be the right place to post this, but we are leaving on the Magic in two weeks! Our first cruise and we've got an aft-wrap balcony. Know I'll spend some time on it reading. Typically take paperbacks when we vacation at the beach, but saw that one of the big book stores has a Nook Simple Touch for $79. Is is worth getting for the cruise or would a Kindle be better? Should we stick with paperback books that we can leave behind if they get wet/sandy, etc?

Nook has a new one out that has a built in backlight so that you can read it in the dark. I have not tried it but if it works, that is a real plus for the nook as you can not read an eInk device in the dark.

DON

What is the Nook 3G? I didn't think any of the Nooks had 3G?

The Nook 3G was the original Nook. You could have purchased the Nook with either just Wi-fi capabilities or you could have purchased one that had 3G+wi-fi capabilities. Basically, if i'm on say a cruise ship and can get a satellite signal(ATT) i can download a book..surf the internet...etc. I do not have to pay for that capability. It came with the Nook. Unfortunately, after the first generation Barnes & Noble only made Nook's wi-fi capable. That is the one reason why i haven't gotten rid of my original Nook. It's my travel companion. So long i can get an ATT signal i'm good to go.:D

I had a K2 since 2009, got a K3 and gave my K2 to my daughter. Since buying my K2/3 I have had 12 friends buy Kindles! I also now have a Fire for use with internet, movies, music, etc but I much prefer reading on the K3. I have over 1,400 books on my K3 and can't imagine not having it. Amazon's customer service is excellent! Have a cousin with a Nook and B&N customer service not as good.

I had a K2 since 2009, got a K3 and gave my K2 to my daughter. Since buying my K2/3 I have had 12 friends buy Kindles! I also now have a Fire for use with internet, movies, music, etc but I much prefer reading on the K3. I have over 1,400 books on my K3 and can't imagine not having it. Amazon's customer service is excellent! Have a cousin with a Nook and B&N customer service not as good.

I have heard that B&N customer service isn't as good. My 1st gen Nook and my wife's Nook have never given us any reason to contact them.

Archived