Kindle or Nook

mominkaty

I think for the casual user, it probably doesn't matter if you get the nook or the Kindle, you're going to enjoy it.

I think overall, though, nook usually gets better ratings by Consumer Reports and other tech sites. Also, nook makes sure Kindle keeps improving, as nook seems to be release better versions of things, and Kindle is forced to respond. I chose the nook because at the time that was the only mainstream tablet where you could check books out from the library--now you can with the Kindle and probably others as well.

Some sites, like CNN, do their best to really talk up the Kindle while ignoring the nook (for instance, nook had the nook Color, which is a tablet, before the Kindle Fire, but that's even overlooked by many sites who are cozy with Amazon).

I have a Kindle Touch 3G, after previously having the 2nd Generation regular Kindle. I really love the Kindle, and I find that it has a better bookstore and better service than B&N. While B&N is a relative latecomer to the digital media game, Amazon was there first and also, as a company, is 100% focused on online content and online content delivery. That's the core of their business and they do it very, very well. I find the experience of using their store to be more pleasant, the stores options to be more packed, and the ease of use to be the best.

I wouldn't call B&N a relative late comer to the digital media game....they released the nook within a year of the Kindle, I believe, so Amazon didn't beat them by much. Also, within a couple of months of the nook being out, they added a couple of games to the nook....granted, not the greatest games, though. Plus, the nook has had internet features.

I have never had a problem with B&N customer service the couple of times I had to call them, plus it's great that you can go to any B&N and they likely have one person at least who knows a lot about the device--or at least they did a few years ago. Where can I go to find in-person help for the kindle? Best Buy, maybe, but how much they're going to know would be in question and they'd only know the answer if they themselves had a kindle.

I never have a problem finding free books that I want to read for the nook, and most books that are in kindle format are also going to be in epub format, since epub is the most common ebook format. Very rarely are you going to find something for kindle that you can't get for the nook. I do have a tablet with a kindle app that I could use should that ever happen--haven't had it happen yet.

For tech challenged people who want an ereader to check out library books, I think Kindle does this better than Nook.

The Nook requires loading library books from Adobe Digital Editions software, where the Kindle lets you download your library books from Amazon.

If any Nook user has found this to be different, please let me know. I'd like to be able to check out books without the use of ADE. It's not hard to do, but it's just extra steps.

Thanks for all the comments regarding Nook or Kindle. Can see there are fans on both sides!

Not knowing much about how they work, I'm assuming whichever one I choose, I'll download books before the cruise, correct? I won't be using wi-fi to actually read them once on the cruise, thus incurring expenses I didn't anticipate?

Thanks for all the comments regarding Nook or Kindle. Can see there are fans on both sides!

Not knowing much about how they work, I'm assuming whichever one I choose, I'll download books before the cruise, correct? I won't be using wi-fi to actually read them once on the cruise, thus incurring expenses I didn't anticipate?

If you get the wi-fi only version (which is the cheapest) of either e-reader, you whould either download books before you leave or download them at a wi-fi hotspot on shore. I find the easiest thing to do is use my computer to browse Amazon for what I want, purchase it, and Amazon will send it wirelessly to my Kindle, it's a lot easier and faster for me to find books that way and compare reader reviews.

If you get the 3G version of either e-reader, you can download books anywhere you can access the 3G network, which is similar to a smartphone data network. Unlike a smartphone however, you don't pay a monthly fee for using the 3G connection on your e-reader. The 3G is completely free, even when you use it outside of the US. The 3G version of the ereaders tend to cost a little more though (a wi-fi only version will be like $80 bucks and a 3G version will be around $120-140). For me, because I use my Kindle every day on the subway, the bus, at work, when I travel, having the 3G version is worth it. I'm not always around a wi-fi hotspot, and I like being able to get books whenever I want, whereever I am, that's why I got the ereader in the first place (not a lot of bookstores where I live, unfortunately). I've even had good luck using the 3G on board ship, depending on how close we are to land.

I wouldn't call B&N a relative late comer to the digital media game....they released the nook within a year of the Kindle, I believe, so Amazon didn't beat them by much. Also, within a couple of months of the nook being out, they added a couple of games to the nook....granted, not the greatest games, though. Plus, the nook has had internet features.

I have never had a problem with B&N customer service the couple of times I had to call them, plus it's great that you can go to any B&N and they likely have one person at least who knows a lot about the device--or at least they did a few years ago. Where can I go to find in-person help for the kindle? Best Buy, maybe, but how much they're going to know would be in question and they'd only know the answer if they themselves had a kindle.

I never have a problem finding free books that I want to read for the nook, and most books that are in kindle format are also going to be in epub format, since epub is the most common ebook format. Very rarely are you going to find something for kindle that you can't get for the nook. I do have a tablet with a kindle app that I could use should that ever happen--haven't had it happen yet.

The Kindle was actually released in 2007, and the Nook not until the end of 2009. In general my point was that Amazon's entire game is online sales, whereas B&N's is not, and for me, the difference shows. As for service, I find Amazon's Kindle service people to be great, and I don't really like going to Barnes and Noble, nor are there any convenient ones in my area.

Regarding the store, I don't just use the free books, I buy a large number for myself (and borrow from the Prime Lending Library). For me, the Amazon store is better stocked, but it probably depends on what kinds of books you're looking for. I also think the overall store experience, the way it's organized and the ease of use is a little better on Amazon. Again, it's that expertise online that shows through for me.

At any rate, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Everyone will prefer the system they have, and you can see from the threads there's fans on each side. For the casual user, the difference may be small.

Spurred on by this thread I did a little more research since I was thinking of getting an e-reader.

The ones with wi-fi do have those that support downloading movies since you are using your own bandwidth.

The ones that are 3g are only for downloading books or maybe some games, but low bandwidth stuff since they are giving the bandwidth to you free.

That is something I need to sort out, which I would use more. Ability to download books anywhere vs ability to download movies and other stuff.

That to me is more important than Nook or Kindle as they seem to be so similar.

Spurred on by this thread I did a little more research since I was thinking of getting an e-reader.

The ones with wi-fi do have those that support downloading movies since you are using your own bandwidth.

The ones that are 3g are only for downloading books or maybe some games, but low bandwidth stuff since they are giving the bandwidth to you free.

That is something I need to sort out, which I would use more. Ability to download books anywhere vs ability to download movies and other stuff.

That to me is more important than Nook or Kindle as they seem to be so similar.

The devices with 3G have wi-fi capability as well as the 3 G. Your only decision is whether you need to have 3G on your device in addition to wi-fi.

edit: I haven't looked at any of the tablet ereader devices ( Kindle Fire, Nook Color, Nook Tablet ). Not sure if any of these devices have 3G capability built in. Could be the only 3 G devices are simple ereaders only. I have so many books loaded on my Nook that I could never finish all of them. I can't think of any books that I would NEED to have sombas that it couldn't wait for a wi-fi connection. My Nook has 3G, but I hardly ever use the 3G connection.

Just be aware if you are buying a kindle that says special offers it has ads on it. I was looking at both the kindle and nook since I have $35 off at best buy. I have decided on the nook after learning this. I rather not have to see ads on something I bought, but that is personal preference.

For tech challenged people who want an ereader to check out library books, I think Kindle does this better than Nook.

The Nook requires loading library books from Adobe Digital Editions software, where the Kindle lets you download your library books from Amazon.

If any Nook user has found this to be different, please let me know. I'd like to be able to check out books without the use of ADE. It's not hard to do, but it's just extra steps.

With ADE, you download the file to your computer and then transfer the file to your Nook. How hard is that to do? Also, my library at least has more Nook compatible books than Kindle compatible books.

DON

With ADE, you download the file to your computer and then transfer the file to your Nook. How hard is that to do? Also, my library at least has more Nook compatible books than Kindle compatible books.

DON

Yeah, that's kind of why I said it wasn't that hard to do.

Kindle owners can check out their book from their library account and it automatically loads through their Amazon account.

Nook owners (like me) check out the book from their library account. Download the book into ADE, connect their Nook with a cable, and transfer the file to the Nook. Not difficult at all, until you try downloading a book from the library away from home where your ADE software is loaded.

It would just be nice to have the same conveinience Kindle owners have. I still prefer my Nook.

Archived