Washy Washy Bottle

Does anyone have any idea what is in the Washy Washy Bottles?:confused: Be creative and let me know what you think. I would really like to know. I know some people have reactions to the spray.:(:( Most not be good stuff but does it help?

This quote was from a recent thread on this topic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1642113&highlight=washy+washy

Post #52

NCL uses Germstar products.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

Which hand sanitizers kill stomach flu viruses?

Answer: Germstar®Noro

Washing your hands with soap and water is the best way to get rid of the gastroenteritis viruses. It does not kill them but it washes them off your hands and down the drain. But when you can’t get to a sink, you need something else. Regular 62% alcohol hand sanitizer gels such as regular Purell® do a great job killing rotavirus but are not that great at killing norovirus1 (they are better than nothing, though).

The company Germstar® has specifically designed a hand sanitizer that kills norovirus! It is called Germstar®Noro. It's active ingredient is 63% ethanol. So, how could this possibly work when the regular 62% alcohol products don't work very well? I contacted the company to find out. I read their ingredient list, read their test results, and e-mailed the scientist who did the tests. This is what I learned. Germstar®Noro contains an emollient complex that makes it work better. The phrase "emollient complex" probably sounds fishy to you (like an anti-wrinkle cream commercial). Basically, they have added some extra ingredients that make the alcohol work much better. They also did not add glycerin (which most alcohol hand gels contain). They found that the glycerin "protects" the viruses. I believe their results and I trust that Germstar®Noro does kill norovirus, especially since the scientist who tested Germstar®Noro (Dr. Syed Sattar) is one of the top researchers in the field. Germstar®Noro is currently only available to purchase on the company's website. They are trying hard to get their product in stores. I use Germstar®Noro and I really like it. It is a liquid that comes in a spray bottle. It dries really nice with no stickiness. Like all alcohol hand sanitizers, it stings my knuckles in the winter when they are dry and chapped. Therefore, I usually just put it on my palms and fingers. I don't eat with my knuckles, anyway. I recommend getting the 2oz bottles for carrying in your purse or coat pocket.

I contacted the makers of Purell on March 8, 2012 to see if they had any hand sanitizers that were effective against norovirus. They said that they could not provide me with any of that information.

Internet rumors say that Wet Ones® Antibacterial Wipes kill norovirus. The active ingredient, benzethonium chloride, supposedly kills norovirus. However, I can not find any experiments that tested whether or not benzethonium chloride kills norovirus. If you know of these experiments, please let me know. I contacted the Playtex® company (on January 8, 2009) who makes Wet Ones® Antibacterial wipes, and they told me that their wipes have not been tested for their ability to kill norovirus or rotavirus.

Does anyone have any idea what is in the Washy Washy Bottles?:confused: Be creative and let me know what you think. I would really like to know. I know some people have reactions to the spray.:(:( Most not be good stuff but does it help?

Maybe it's a mixture of all the rum runners and liquid from mouthwash bottles they've collected :D

I'm guessing it is the same stuff that comes out of the little hand sanitizer machines around the ship.....

Some people don't stop and use the machines so you get the washy washy guys or gals to stand there and squirt away! :)

I was told it was the same Germstar product, with some water added, that is in the germ sanitizer stations throughout the ship. But leftover alcohol probably would work just as well...... :D

Archived