Downloading Digital Pix on Board?

BostonNan

DH and I are leaving for our 1st cruise Saturday (Navigator of the Seas) and I've just found this board - lots of great info!!

One question I haven't seen the answer to (sorry if I missed it): Is there a way to download pix from digital cameras and burn CDs while on board so you can take more pix? If so, can someone tell me how, and who to see on board? (we'll bring our own USB cord)

DH and I are leaving for our 1st cruise Saturday (Navigator of the Seas) and I've just found this board - lots of great info!!

One question I haven't seen the answer to (sorry if I missed it): Is there a way to download pix from digital cameras and burn CDs while on board so you can take more pix? If so, can someone tell me how, and who to see on board? (we'll bring our own USB cord)

Oooh, good question. I was just wondering the same thing. I was just thinking of buying another memory card, but if this is possible, that could be cool....

The photo dept. onboard probably offers the service of burning your photos to a CD, but it's usually fairly expensive. Frankly, you're better off buying additional cards. They're pretty cheap nowadays.

I'm almost certain that you won't be able to make use of the computers in the ship's internet cafe. Usually, those computers are set up such that you only have access to the keyboard, monitor and printer. No access to ports or drives.

I have read somewhere on these boards that a previous passenger was able to burn pictures onto a CD at the internet cafe with the help of a crew member. Didn't mention the price though. This probably warrants a call to the cruise line.

Thanks all - I just called Guest Services. Was told I should be able to do it myself at the Internet Cafe (not so sure I believe that b'c of possible virus issues) or that the photo shop could do it for me. I'll let you know when I get back!

~N

Was just on Celebrity. Royal Caribbean has the same policy. $15 to burn a CD of pictures from your media card. I had my laptop to do downloads and didn't need the service but it sure sounds cheaper than a new card.

Tim

I went out a few months ago when Circuit City had a sale on Memory Stick cards for my Sony digital camera. Bought a 512MB memory stick for $49.99 after rebates and sale prices, etc. I can easily fit 500 photos on a 512MB card--that's more than enough for a week long cruise. I would personally get tired of having to find somewhere to download photos onto CD and have to keep paying to have it done. A also carry a 128MB and a 16MB card with me. I figure that I have plenty of memory for storing photos--I can then edit and burn them on CD when I get back from vacation. I'd buy a lare capacity memory card--like a 512MB or a 1GB card--who wants to spend time downloading and burning photos on vacation? Would rather look through and edit the photos when I get home and relive the vacation!

The photo department on the ship may do it for you for a small fee. They do it on Princess and it is a good way to know your pictures are safe. They put in on their computers and burn the CD. You can then empty your memory card and continue to take pictures. Have fun.

Read this thread with interest as my husband and I were wondering same thing. Saw somewhere where a woman paid $9.99 for photo dept on ship to burn cd for her and then she got home and was missing around 80 photos. So I would take own computer or buy another card. We will buy a third card just in case.

Ok- can't speak for other cruise lines but we just finished a 14 night

Panama Canal on Summit. I was able to download from my camera to

the ship's computers in both the lab and the internet cafe. These went

into a secure folder under my user-name and password. On the last sea day

I burned over 500 pics to a CD for $15.00 with the help of the staff, using

their blank. Before leaving the room, I was able to check the burned CD

on another computer to verify all the contents. Sure was a lot cheaper

than another Sony Memory stick ( I used 2 128mb sticks alternately).

Have now downloaded all pics to my PC and everything is intact and workable.

Hope that something similar is available elsewhere as this is a very competetive

area nowadays.

Cliff

The photo dept. onboard probably offers the service of burning your photos to a CD, but it's usually fairly expensive. Frankly, you're better off buying additional cards. They're pretty cheap nowadays.

I agree completely. I have so many cards I don't think I could fill them all.

Archived