Baltimore Area

mommaof 3

My husband and I are going on a cruise out of Baltimore, and plan to spend a few days in the area. We really want to do something off the beaten path. Maybe a good hike near the water? Or something else that's to cool to miss? We haven't picked a hotel, so it doesn't have to be in Baltimore, just within a few hours.

Hi Julie. Since you're in NJ, you already know it will most likely be miserably hot and humid during your visit.

Off the beaten path, not necessarily, but close to the cruise terminal and the Inner Harbor:

The Fells Point Ghost Tour may be fun with lots of historical details. Fells Point is on the water.

http://www.fellspointghost.com/

Fort McHenry, also on the water, with more history of course.

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

About 20 minutes north is Robert E. Lee park/Lake Roland with many hiking trails. I would consider this park off the beaten path for tourists.

Hotels in Baltimore and just a few miles from the port that offer a cruise & park package are in this link.

http://www.harbormagic.com/cruise/index.asp

Hope this helps some. ;)

"Within a few hours"??? So, something between New York City and Richmond and Pittsburgh, perhaps? Could you be more specific about distance and what you consider off the beaten track? Have you been to Baltimore before? If you go to the Lonely Planet guide book Web site and "shop," you can buy and download for $5 the chapter on Washington, DC and the Capitol Region or one on day trips from DC, which could give you ideas. Not much walking along the water that's interesting in Baltimore; very urban. I lived in Maryland, closer to DC, and went on nice hikes and other types of outings in the mountains (e.g., Camp David/Cunningham Falls area, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Dutch country, Harley-Davidson factory in York, etc.) but not near Baltimore. A day trip to Annapolis, perhaps? There are some state beaches. Shenandoah Park is within a few hours. Actually, lots of nice walking in Washington's Rock Creek Park. You might try contacting the Balitmore chapter of the Sierra Club; even if you don't go with them, their schedule of outings might give you some ideas.

In the Baltimore area itself there are several museums and historic sites,including, as mentioned, Fort McHenry. Alsio the Edgar Allan Poe House. The Babe Ruth Birth Place and Museum and the Sports Legends Museum at Camden Yards. The national aquarium isn't exactly off the beaten path but is great.

Thank you for all the replies, we live very near NYC - about 4-5 hrs from Baltimore, I guess I should've clarified...

We intend to drive down two days before our cruise leaves, and I just want to be near enough to Baltimore to be able to not have to get up super early on the morning our cruise is departing.

We are prepared for the humidity, and have been to Baltimore and DC enough times to feel like we want something different. We do love to hike and also really enjoy historical interest sites, light houses and such. I am thinking of looking at Annapolis, we have never been & our son is thinking of auditioning for the military bands next year, so it might an opportunity to learn about that process too. Otherwise, I'm thinking there must be some fun places to roam around in Delaware or the chesapeake bay that would be interesting and still where we could leave after breakfast and be to the port a few hours later?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look at the places mentioned.

Thank you for all the replies, we live very near NYC - about 4-5 hrs from Baltimore, I guess I should've clarified...

We intend to drive down two days before our cruise leaves, and I just want to be near enough to Baltimore to be able to not have to get up super early on the morning our cruise is departing.

We are prepared for the humidity, and have been to Baltimore and DC enough times to feel like we want something different. We do love to hike and also really enjoy historical interest sites, light houses and such. I am thinking of looking at Annapolis, we have never been & our son is thinking of auditioning for the military bands next year, so it might an opportunity to learn about that process too. Otherwise, I'm thinking there must be some fun places to roam around in Delaware or the chesapeake bay that would be interesting and still where we could leave after breakfast and be to the port a few hours later?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to look at the places mentioned.

We're coming into Baltimore a couple of days early for our cruise staying within walking distance of the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards. Got tickets for a Friday night Orioles game, with fireworks (mostly for 16 YO and his cousin). Aside from that, we're probably going to visit the B&O Railroad Museum (DH's choice), the National Aquarium (12 YO's choice), and the USS Constellation (my choice).

If you haven't visited Fort McHenry before, I'd really recommend a visit. We went the morning of our cruise, since we couldn't board until 11 and we arrived in Baltimore at 9. Lots of nice waterfront walks, aside from all the history.

Annapolis - it's not a bad drive from Baltimore, although you're dropping farther south than you would otherwise travel. The Naval Academy is an amazing place. We took our oldest there when he was considering Annapolis (he's at the US Merchant Marine Academy now) and loved visiting the campus, especially the chapel and the museum.

A possibility in Delaware - Lewes and Cape Henlopen State Park. If you're interested in the scenic route to Baltimore from NYC, go down the Garden State Parkway to Cape May and take the Cape May Ferry into Delaware. The ferry is about an hour's ride - just park your car on the parking deck and go topsides for a nice sail of the Delaware Bay. You will arrive at the town of Lewes - a beautiful waterfront town, fairly compact for walking. Nothing like the beachfront towns like Rehoboth (although I like that as well). Nearby is Cape Henlopen State Park. It originally was a WWII Army base, complete with observation towers for enemy ships (one has been restored and you can climb it). Lots of beach area and nature trails.

The drive from Lewes to Baltimore is certainly doable day of the cruise, but you'll likely be taking some back roads along the way. I like it - we go to Washington DC to visit relatives by going through Delaware, and it's a nice drive.

I would definitely recommend Annapolis. There is a lot to do there and its a short drive from Annapolis up to Baltimore. Just recently I picked up a groupon for a ghost tour in Annapolis, so you could be on the lookout for fun things to do while you are there.

If you really want "off the beaten path," you could stop in Havre de Grace. Its about 45 minutes north of Baltimore, but Susquehanna State Park (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/susquehanna.asp) has a neat old mill and there is a rails-to-trail that runs along the Susquehanna River. Then you could go into town (http://www.hdgtourism.com/index.html) and see the lighthouse and have dinner at Tidewater Grill. But I can't really think of a second day of stuff to do (and I lived there for 4 years). If you have any interest in baseball, Aberdeen is right next to HdG and Ripken Stadium is pretty cool. But, I just checked and the Cal Ripken League world series is the Aug 10-19, which means there will be baseball kids all over Aberdeen.

Lancaster County, PA is within an hour or two of Baltimore, as is Gettysburg. either are worth a day or two of sightseeing if you haven't been there before. They make Harley Davidson motorcycles in York and there's a factory tour (Mon-Thurs, I think). Hershey PA doesn't have the "real" factory tour any more but there's a Chocolate World exhibit and a big gift shop - as well as HersheyPark.

I was going to start a thread but glad to find this one. I will drive to Baltimore the day before my cruise in September and will probably arrive about 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.

As interesting as I know some of the museums would be, I'd really like to just get out of my hotel and walk around a bit, window shop, have dinner and that sort of thing.

Since I know nothing of Baltimore (although I'm looking at various web sites), is the Inner Harbor the kind of place that would fit what I'm seeking?

Since I know nothing of Baltimore (although I'm looking at various web sites), is the Inner Harbor the kind of place that would fit what I'm seeking?
Yes. Lots for the tourist to do. Baltimoreans would probably steer you elsewhere for "real" Baltimore experience, but the worthy harbor area runs from Inner Harbor east through Little Italy to Fells Point.

Yes. Lots for the tourist to do. Baltimoreans would probably steer you elsewhere for "real" Baltimore experience, but the worthy harbor area runs from Inner Harbor east through Little Italy to Fells Point.

Thanks. Were I to plan a longer visit I might want to see the "real" Baltimore, but for just one night pre-cruise I will be a tourist.

Want to spend some time in Philly befoe cruising

suggestions?

Miggi

quote=mommaof 3;34068163]My husband and I are going on a cruise out of Baltimore, and plan to spend a few days in the area. We really want to do something off the beaten path. Maybe a good hike near the water? Or something else that's to cool to miss? We haven't picked a hotel, so it doesn't have to be in Baltimore, just within a few hours.

Archived