Shore Excursions... Pre-pay or Not ??

toberman

First time cruiser on NCL and have always heard (read) that if you book shore excursions on-line you must pre-pay with a CC. A member on our roll-call who has been on NCL previously stated that he has booked shore excursions and they will be added to his OBC once he sails. Here's the statement from NCL -

Who will be asked to purchase cruise activities with a credit card?

Ticketed passengers sailing on or after July 17, 2011 who (1) purchased the cruise in US dollars, and (2) do not have a Shore Excursion, Dining or Entertainment reservation on record prior to June 29, 2011. Guests who do not meet all of these criteria will be able to pre-book activities, but will not be asked for payment at the time of booking.

So I'm confused... do I have to pre-pay or not ??? May be a double standard here as to whether you've been a past passenger or not??

Looks like an erroneous "not" to me. Should be "will be asked....".

What it is saying is that the policy changed for passengers (all passengers, past guests or not) sailing on or after July 17, 2011. For cruises sailing before that date, excursions were not charged to your CC when you pre-booked them. They went on your on-board account and could be covered by OBC if you had any. After that date they are charged to your CC at the time of booking. An exception was made for people sailing after the date, but who had pre-booked their excursions before 6/29/2011.

NCL does indeed now require you to pay for excursions at the time you book them.

Yes now you have to pre-pay with a CC if you book excursions online. They will only be put on your onboard account if you book them onboard.

Your friend is probably not mistaken but has cruised prior to the summer of 2011 when the new policy came into effect. Thats the way it used to be.

Looks like an erroneous "not" to me. Should be "will be asked....".

What it is saying is that the policy changed for passengers (all passengers, past guests or not) sailing on or after July 17, 2011. For cruises sailing before that date, excursions were not charged to your CC when you pre-booked them. They went on your on-board account and could be covered by OBC if you had any. After that date they are charged to your CC at the time of booking. An exception was made for people sailing after the date, but who had pre-booked their excursions before 6/29/2011.

NCL does indeed now require you to pay for excursions at the time you book them.

I've booked 3 shore excursions next month and it will be added to my Onboard Account.

I've booked 3 shore excursions next month and it will be added to my Onboard Account.

That's what I'm getting... if you're a past passenger and have booked excursions before, you don't have to pre-pay. The person I'm referring to only booked this week and doesn't have to pre-pay whereas I'm getting that I will have to. Confused ! :confused:

I imagine that's because you probably purchased the cruise in pounds sterling and not US dollars based on where you reside.

I imagine that's because you probably purchased the cruise in pounds sterling and not US dollars based on where you reside.

That could be it !! The person I know is Canadian and may have purchased the cruise in CDN $.... but isn't that penalizing US residents?? That would be a first that I've seen ! :rolleyes:

Does not apply to folks from across the pond generally. I thought Canadians had to book the same way as US, but maybe not. In general, all bookings in advance for folks from the US have to be paid when booked. If you cancel before you board you will get it credited back to your CC. If you cancel after you board, it will be given as an OBC.

That's what I'm getting... if you're a past passenger and have booked excursions before, you don't have to pre-pay. The person I'm referring to only booked this week and doesn't have to pre-pay whereas I'm getting that I will have to. Confused ! :confused:

I'm not a past passenger........................:confused:

Does not apply to folks from across the pond generally. I thought Canadians had to book the same way as US, but maybe not. In general, all bookings in advance for folks from the US have to be paid when booked. If you cancel before you board you will get it credited back to your CC. If you cancel after you board, it will be given as an OBC.

Canada is part of the Commonwealth. Maybe the Europeans put their trust in them due to this.....................................:eek:

You are absolutely correct we book the same as you do. As a matter of fact we book out NCL U.S. in U.S. dollars.

Just to add some confusion to the topic....we are aussies, and have to pay upfront for excursions. We booked direct with NCL in US$ with our credit card. We are however, first timers on NCL.

Archived