Two NCL cancellings for me....

teachnh

Sorry you are not happy with your "compensation". It is probably more of a "sorry we messed with your cruise". Not that they really have to give you anything, but it's nice they offered you something IMO.

Curious though, is there really any amount that would be sufficient to all, for messing with one's vacation?

I agree that it's nice they offered something; it's just that $100 OBC for the Garden Villa is far too low. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Especially when other cruise lines have offered $400 OBC per suite for rebooking after a sailing was canceled because of being chartered. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=760

Another way to look at it is in relation to the total price being spent. So let's say that an inside sells for $1,000 with two people in it. The $50 OBC they are offering would be approximately a 5% compensation for the change.

Compare that with the lowest suite category (SF). Assuming that this guest paid approximately $3800 for the suite, the $100 OBC would be about 2.6% compensation.

Now compare that to the Garden Villa. It was going for about $16K for two people. (We had it at capacity.) $100 OBC is only 0.26% of what someone in that category would spend.

Based on the percentage given to the lowest category of rooms, NCL should be giving about $200 OBC to the lowest level suites and about $800 OBC to the highest.

I'm (was) on the March 3 Pearl that was cancelled. I'd booked an aft penthouse suite on deck 10... Now on the 2 other sailings I'm allowed to choose from my only choices for same category is the ones on deck 8 directly above the club and bowling alley. Hardly the same IMO. I asked of they would let me upgrade to the next category at the difference between today's prices (that I would pay - I wasn't even asking for a free upgrade!) and they wouldn't even do that. I agree that the $100 is better than nothing but giving me only a 2 week window after my original date is pretty crappy.

I'm switching for now just so I don't risk getting totally booted off, but I may just wind up canceling altogether. I understand the charter I get that stuff happens but I do think they should offer a bit more flexibility when cabins are limited. How many hundreds of balconies are there to choose from? There's only 12 SE's kinda screws over my odds I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you bought Cancel for Any Reason insurance, insurance doesn't reimburse for something like this. It would be up to the cruise line to cover that fee as a courtesy.

And a TA isn't liable for the change fee either. When you book any cruise, Terms and Conditions allow the cruise lines to change or cancel departures.

This is why a lot of people get travel insurance. So that if you bought airfare, the insurance would pay the change fees or refund your payments.

How can you find out if a particular ship/date is chartered? I think I saw a link somewhere but I can't find it now.

This looks like a full boat charter since they are just going to the private island for 2 days. I know that there can also be partial boat charters which may or may not impact your ability to sail and/or enjoyment.

Regardless, of whether or not NCL owes anything to anyone, it is a disappointment.

Good Luck!!

Frankly, in Feb, you'll have the choice of MANY Caribbean cruises, I would just book another line, simple and easy. There are some especially good itineraries on other lines, that I favor over NCL.

When it comes to this topic I always say if you already have airfare it is a mess and $100 will not cut it. If you do not have airfare there are so many other options. Fins another cruise ship and even cruise line. I always buy my airfare as soon as it's available, so this topic always worries me. Good luck with your decision!

The problem with going on another ship or line is often times you wind up paying a higher fare because you're closer to sailing date. For instance for me to book the same category on another ship for the same time right now would be $1000 more than what I had paid before. The only way they'll honor the fare is if you choose a sailing in their window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived