Trans Atlantic Crossing

bh99mh

We are thinking of booking the Trans Atlantic Crossing in November for the experience (Queen Mary). We would appreciate any comments with regards to the weather etc. Anyone who has been and have they enjoyed it?

Also, do they put extra activities on and special shows on in the Theatre?

Any advice etc would be very much appreciated. :)

Many thanks

Here's a thread I did on my November 2010 crossing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1306019

I see there was some pretty challenging weather although I enjoyed the crossing and frankly don't remember much about the weather. I don't think there were "extra" activities but Cunard ALWAYS has a lot of activities.

The "Day" count in my entry titles will look a little strange. This was the 3rd of a series of 3 linked cruises, with the first 2 on Crystal Serenity and Wind Surf.

Here's also a link to my Daily Programmes and Menus from my most recent crossing, last August:

http://arctictriple.wordpress.com/queen-mary-2/

http://arctictriple.wordpress.com/qm2/

Roy

We are thinking of booking the Trans Atlantic Crossing in November for the experience (Queen Mary). We would appreciate any comments with regards to the weather etc. Anyone who has been and have they enjoyed it?

Many thanks

We did a transatlantic crossing last November, and with the exception of one day the weather was ok. By that I mean calm to moderate seas, but quite cool outside. Too cold to linger on the promenade deck.

I didn't notice an increase in activities compared to crossing in the summer, that being said, there's always heaps of activities anyway.

We had a great time.

Denise

Many thanks

Hi,

I have done a number of transatlantics with QM2, in winter, spring, autumn and summer. Most of the time it was foggy around Nova Scotia and Newfoundland when the horn kept on blowing. It is not always very comfortable to walk around the decks, especially the upper ones, but the aft of deck 7 is acceptable.

Since QM2 has been designed for transatlantics at any weather, there is no problem at all for her, she slips elegantly through the water and it is wonderful to see the waves coming and going and feel safe at the same time.

Do it, it is the best way to cross the North Atlantic and a unique experience.

Bon voyage!

We did the 2010 December crossing great fun I wanted to see rough sea's after reading Captain Pugwash's stories and boy did we see rough sea's.

My highlights the food is to die for, the experience fantastic the ship was dressed for Xmas, the Xmas carol concert was fantastic, Would I do it again??? at first we said no but now I am changing my mind and mainly for the dinng experience, we were a bit bored the entertainment in the day wasn't up our street apart from in the main bar but you were lucky to get a seat in the day. The shows at night were really good the program had to be shifted around a bit due to the weather but we were not aware so missed a show we wanted to see.

All in all a must do - hope this helps

We did the 2010 December crossing great fun I wanted to see rough sea's after reading Captain Pugwash's stories and boy did we see rough sea's.

My highlights the food is to die for, the experience fantastic the ship was dressed for Xmas, the Xmas carol concert was fantastic, Would I do it again??? at first we said no but now I am changing my mind and mainly for the dinng experience, we were a bit bored the entertainment in the day wasn't up our street apart from in the main bar but you were lucky to get a seat in the day. The shows at night were really good the program had to be shifted around a bit due to the weather but we were not aware so missed a show we wanted to see.

All in all a must do - hope this helps

I love Christmas too. :)

Many thanks

Are you worried about rough seas or looking forward to it?

I guess rough weather is more likely in the last fall and winter, but you never know what's gong to happen. We've done crossings at various times, and I don't think our November crossing was terribly rough. On QM2, I suggest a sheltered balcony, midships. Even in the middle of the Atlantic on a rough day, we were able to go out on the balcony for some fresh air.

We've found that the daytime activities on Cunard are excellent, especially on a TA,. They know you have nowhere to go except the ship, and make an effort to provide good activities. They have lectures, films, sometimes authors who do readings and signings. I'm not sure if they still have RADA workshops. Those were a lot of fun.

And of course, there's the spa. There's a gym, too, although I cannot report on that from personal experience.

And don't forget to stop by the sale tables in the atrium. :D

As you can see from my countdown clock we are booked from NY to Southampton 27th Nov and I am looking forward to it.

We emigrated to Canada in the 60's in Sept and were told at the time that Sept was the worst month to travel the Atlantic, have no idea if that is true. I get motion sick on a bus:eek: but on a ship if you feel a bit off you can go outside for a few mins of fresh air. Fixes me up anytime, but then I love the sea.

We came back from the US on the last crossing in November 2011 - seas were calm, walked every day on the Promenade Deck, enjoyed outside jacuzzi at night (love doing this, when nobody else is around and you can just sit in the warm water and watch the stars!) In fact, I think I got a bit of a suntan... just luck of the draw I think. We've had awful crossings in June, ok crossings in August, and calm, sunny ones in November. Enjoy!

...enjoyed outside jacuzzi at night (love doing this, when nobody else is around and you can just sit in the warm water and watch the stars!) In fact, I think I got a bit of a suntan...

The stars must be much more intense over the North Atlantic than I am used to! I shall have to be careful!:D

Since QM2 has been designed for transatlantics at any weather, there is no problem at all for her, she slips elegantly through the water and it is wonderful to see the waves coming and going and feel safe at the same time.

Herein lies the difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner - it's all in the hull.:)

Archived