RCCL..upgrades

I'm not sure I understand about calling to put you in a free upgrade. If that worked, we'd all be doing it. RCI very rarely upgrades for free under any circumstances. Pick a category and cabin you are happy with. If there are upgrades available at the pier (these are for purchase not free), you can decide then if you want to spend the extra money. It's a very rare occasion that anyone gets a free upgrade anymore; Diamond Plus C&A members sometimes get them, but these are top-level loyalty club members.

If you think about it, the cruise lines have no intentive to upgrade pax for free. The ships are sailing full almost 100% of the time.

beachchick

We Have Been On 13 Rci Cruises And Going On Our 14th In December And Have Neve Been Upgraded Or Asked To Have Dinner With The Captain. Go Figure.oh Well We Have A Great Time Anyway.i Love Rci.i Have Tried Others But Always Come Back.

I can't say why but on our 4 previous cruises with Princess we were upgraded every time, once from an inside to a balcony. On our upcoming cruise on Serenade of the Sea HNL to YVR on this coming May 18 we were upgraded from a deck 4 inside to a deck 7 ocean view family cabin. We were not expecting an upgrade and it was a very pleasant surprise to say the least especially after reading the previous posts.

Don

I have a question about paying for upgrades at the pier. Can you still ask to do this even if you have a guaranteed cabin number? If so, is the price usually per person or per cabin? Is it the same price as if I would have bought the more expensive cabin now or cheaper?

Also, what's the deal with being asked to eat with the captain? Is it just a prestige thing? Or do they get a special meal?? Or what?

Hi All,

We're going on our 3rd cruise in a couple months, all with RCCL (we've been tempted to try other lines, but just love RCCL so are hesitant to bother).

Anyway, on our 1st trip, we were given a guaranteed booking outside cabin, and got bumped up 1 or 2 classes to a higher level, but were still outside (no balcony). Not sure if this is considered an "upgrade".

On our 2nd cruise, we got the exact room we paid for. Which was fine, as it was a nice balcony.

Now, we have an ocean view again, as we booked our Bermuda cruise pretty late, last week in fact, and the balcony price was just a little above what our budget would allow right now (for the 3 of us, it's about $500.00 more). We are fine with an ocean view, but am hoping to either get the miracle free upgrade, or possibly get a paid upgrade before sailing.

I already know, from the above, free upgrades are virtually impossible.

My questions-

1- We are only gold C&A members. Is there any chance there would be paid upgrades available when it got back to us?

2 - If there is the chance to upgrade at the pier, is there a savings over what it would cost to upgrade now? IE, instead of having to pay $500.00 more, may I be able to upgrade for $200 or $300 perhaps? Not sure how it works.

Thanks...

McCasey:

I just noticed in your signature that you have down Adventure of the Seas, Western Caribbean Honeymoon cruise. Since this is your honeymoon I wanted to be sure you realized that the Adventure of the Seas on August 28th is cruising the Southern Caribbean not the Western. Both are beautiful but I didn't want you to be disappointed for your honeymoon.

I just sailed on the Rhapsody, where my friend and I booked a balcony cabin. Not a guarantee, we selected our cabin. We received our cruise docs and the 2 days before sailing I received a call from my travel agent that RCCL had upgraded us to a Jr. Suite! I am platinum but that's the 1st time that's ever happened to me.

A previous cruise we had an oceanview cabin but did a pier upgrade. It was a flat fee per cabin, in this case $400 to go from an oceanview to balcony. (this was a 1o night cruise, it may be cheaper on 7 night cruises) When selecting the cabin we wanted most of the available cabins were aft, so I asked if they had any that were more midship. They had a few so we selected one of those. Turns out the cabin we selected was a Jr. Suite, so we ended up upgrading to a Jr. Suite for the same upgrade price as a balcony. Don't know if that was a mistake by the pier coordinator or not, but just counted ourselves lucky.

Kathy

McCasey:

I just noticed in your signature that you have down Adventure of the Seas, Western Caribbean Honeymoon cruise. Since this is your honeymoon I wanted to be sure you realized that the Adventure of the Seas on August 28th is cruising the Southern Caribbean not the Western. Both are beautiful but I didn't want you to be disappointed for your honeymoon.

Thank you Pacificlander! I know which ports we are going to (St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados) but I guess I had which itin was Western and Eastern mixed up. Thanks for pointing it out though, just in case!! It would have been disappointing.

So am I!! Are you doing both itins back to back or is the second date in your signature the end date of your cruise? Doing both would have been cool (if we could have afforded it!).

What made you choose this itin over the other? Purely the dates you could travel or something else?

Archived