Stuck between TA and NCL

Argggg....looking for help from someone who may have the answer for me. I am unfortunatey stuck between that painful place between my TA and NCL. I booked through a TA, and of course need some answers, and my TA has disappeared on me after booking. So, trying to reach NCL, but NCL refuses to speak with me since I used a TA. My question has to do with the latest Latitudes insider bonus for June. Before I saw this, I found a cruise I wanted to book and saw that I would get peks like the obc, dinner, wine, strawberries, etc. But, I saw this while doing research on the TA website and didn't even bother to check NCL.com. I do usually book directly with the cruiseline so that I can retain control of the reservation, but I assumed these perks were something specific to this TA. So, I booked it and was happy. My TA was a joy to work with. Then I logged into my NCL account. And, I clicked on specials and found the June special. It indicates that a qualifying cruise (little purple L) would receive double reward points. Platinum here I come! I want those points. So, to make sure that the cruise I just booked with my TA (and not on NCL.com) would qualify me for these double points, I called my TA. I can't reach her...no return call. OK, maybe she's busy. I'll call NCL, it's their reward program anyway. Nope. Can't talk to you. You must call your TA. But my question has to do with earning YOUR reward points. Sorry, you must call your TA. So, I called the agency again and asked to speak to someone. When I mentioned I'm already booked but have a question regarding the perks, specifically the reward points, they just got really disinterested. Please, please, help me. Or I'll cancel and book directly with NCL so I can get these perks...all of them and my reward points. OK, got them to listen to me. So, they call NCL. NCL says it's for booking the Haven suites. NO, it's not. There's that, too, but this is a June latitudes special. Well, read to me what it says. Are you kidding me? I'll email you pageshots so you can see exactly what I'm seeing including the little purple L next to my cruise. Nope, I want you to read it to me. Whatever. So, we go back and forth and I'm placed on hold...for 44 minutes! And the final answer is...log this question with Latitude reward online. Great, I had already done that, too. No reply so far.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to cancel and rebook, but since the perks are the same AND I would get the double points, I'm about to!

IF there is no penatly for cancelling with the TA - I would cancel that booking and rebook through NCL. That is probably the most direct way to get all of the perks and your extra points.

Especially if the TA is not supporting the booking. ;)

Did you have a specific cabin need/choice that would make cancelling and rebooking more difficult?

IF there is no penatly for cancelling with the TA - I would cancel that booking and rebook through NCL. That is probably the most direct way to get all of the perks and your extra points.

Did you have a specific cabin need/choice that would make cancelling and rebooking more difficult?

No, I just checked, and there are still plenty of cabins (even if I lose the one I've booked) that are fine by me and the same price. It's just frustrating because they always say that they see the same deals that the cruiselines do, but maybe in this case since it has to do with double reward points, it may work a little differently and you might actually have to book direct. All I know is that I booked direct and sailed on the Epic for my Med cruise and did receive double points for booking 9 months in advance. I'm not sure if this is because I booked direct. All I know is that I got them. So, from now on I think I'll skip the TA route. Just not seeing the benefit...

No, I just checked, and there are still plenty of cabins (even if I lose the one I've booked) that are fine by me and the same price. It's just frustrating because they always say that they see the same deals that the cruiselines do, but maybe in this case since it has to do with double reward points, it may work a little differently and you might actually have to book direct. All I know is that I booked direct and sailed on the Epic for my Med cruise and did receive double points for booking 9 months in advance. I'm not sure if this is because I booked direct. All I know is that I got them. So, from now on I think I'll skip the TA route. Just not seeing the benefit...

Another thought....contact someone from the Latitudes customer service and ask about the points.

Maybe it happens automatically - regardless of how you book, because you are already a past guest - in which case you would not have to change your booking - at all!

Worth a call....I'd think! ;)

Argggg....looking for help from someone who may have the answer for me. I am unfortunatey stuck between that painful place between my TA and NCL. I booked through a TA, and of course need some answers, and my TA has disappeared on me after booking. So, trying to reach NCL, but NCL refuses to speak with me since I used a TA. My question has to do with the latest Latitudes insider bonus for June. Before I saw this, I found a cruise I wanted to book and saw that I would get peks like the obc, dinner, wine, strawberries, etc. But, I saw this while doing research on the TA website and didn't even bother to check NCL.com. I do usually book directly with the cruiseline so that I can retain control of the reservation, but I assumed these perks were something specific to this TA. So, I booked it and was happy. My TA was a joy to work with. Then I logged into my NCL account. And, I clicked on specials and found the June special. It indicates that a qualifying cruise (little purple L) would receive double reward points. Platinum here I come! I want those points. So, to make sure that the cruise I just booked with my TA (and not on NCL.com) would qualify me for these double points, I called my TA. I can't reach her...no return call. OK, maybe she's busy. I'll call NCL, it's their reward program anyway. Nope. Can't talk to you. You must call your TA. But my question has to do with earning YOUR reward points. Sorry, you must call your TA. So, I called the agency again and asked to speak to someone. When I mentioned I'm already booked but have a question regarding the perks, specifically the reward points, they just got really disinterested. Please, please, help me. Or I'll cancel and book directly with NCL so I can get these perks...all of them and my reward points. OK, got them to listen to me. So, they call NCL. NCL says it's for booking the Haven suites. NO, it's not. There's that, too, but this is a June latitudes special. Well, read to me what it says. Are you kidding me? I'll email you pageshots so you can see exactly what I'm seeing including the little purple L next to my cruise. Nope, I want you to read it to me. Whatever. So, we go back and forth and I'm placed on hold...for 44 minutes! And the final answer is...log this question with Latitude reward online. Great, I had already done that, too. No reply so far.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to cancel and rebook, but since the perks are the same AND I would get the double points, I'm about to!

If you booked it during June and gave them your Latitude number you will receive the points. You don't have to book direct to get the Latitude bennies - you just have to book using your Latitude number. I just received 21 points for my last cruise that ended on Sunday. It was booked with a TA during the Deember Insider Promo and I received 7 points for each day, 7 points for a suite and 7 points for the Insider Special.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I was considering booking a latitudes special and my current TA assured me that I would get all the bonuses and double points.

Make a stand with your wallet, if your agent isn't treating you right, take your booking (and it's commission) elsewhere. It's not just talk to me. The original agent married and left, the next agent got snippy with me while I was asking for numerous prices (I was looking for 4 different families of various sizes and needs). I called a different agent in the same agency, i was up front and explained someone else was helping me but I wasn't happy with his (lack of) services and wanted to switch. She is an absolute doll, got all the different pricing we needed and we booked 9 cabins with her. It's been a few months now and she is still quick to get back to us with answers to any questions we have.

Good luck

I agree with this. I think you have a bigger problem than your Latitudes points at this point. You have a TA that isn't responsive to your needs. What happens if you have a more serious problem later that you need to resolve? I've be canceling this NOW and rebooking elsewhere if you can.

I agree with this. I think you have a bigger problem than your Latitudes points at this point. You have a TA that isn't responsive to your needs. What happens if you have a more serious problem later that you need to resolve? I've be canceling this NOW and rebooking elsewhere if you can.

I'd be making sure there is not a cancellation fee before I would cancel this cruise. There is no doubt she will get the Latitude points. That is a non-factor at this point.

I called NCL and asked how this works with the double points Promo. She actually got the same question from someone else who also booked with a TA. Apparently there is a code to use for the latitudes promo that would give you the points. Then there's another code for the current promo that everyone sees. That's the strawberries, wine, dinner etc promo out now. But you have to have the TA input the other code to get the points since its not an automatic. Anyway. I agree. I will rebook and control my reservation. Have yet to find a TA with good customer follow-up. So now nervous about issues much less questions.

Why couldn't the travel agency contact the agent that booked the cruise?

In this case, if it were me, I'[d cancel and rebook. If you can't get the TA on the phone to fix things like this, then you may as well not use an agent. AQll they need to do is book using the correct booking code. It is obvious that the TA didn't check to see if there were any Latitudes sales going on for you when you told her you were a Latitudes member

Another thought....contact someone from the Latitudes customer service and ask about the points.

You ARE joking about this, right? Ever try to talk DIRECTLY to someone in the rewards program? In most cases you have to send them an email. Which they will ignore for 3 weeks while they reply email you (no direct contact) that it will take 4 weeks to see any action. When you call back on week #5 and get routed to reservations who tell you that you cannot talk directly to rewards, they will tell you that you must wait 4 weeks. When you inform them that this is week 5 or 6 (by now), they "might" try to contact a supervisor who would then contact the rewards group (on your behalf) and you should hear from them within 2 days. When that contact doesn't occur and you call back a week later you will learn that your case "just" got INTO the rewards department (last week coincidentally around the same day you talked to the "supervisor"). Then about a week later, the issue will be resolved and you will be emailed a note saying so and how they resolved it. Still, no contact directly with them and no way for you to discuss what they actually did to "close/get the case off their desk).

I use to sell call center management software and still have friends that train companies like NCL on the CORRECT way to do things. Based on my own personal experience listed above, I can confidently say that they need to "invest" in a more responsive "customer care" team...

Good plan...if the TA is not supporting you now on a simple but important booking question, imagine what will happen if you later have a big, tough issue. drop that agent now, book direct, getting the latitudes code and the bonus code...and you can call NCL when you have questions or see a price drop or want to change cabins or whatever.

Lattitudes rewards are slow to respond I had a question it took about a week and a half to here back but once they did the problem was resovled in about 10 minutes they are good but looks like they are swamped. Good luck on your issue.

Argggg....looking for help from someone who may have the answer for me. I am unfortunatey stuck between that painful place between my TA and NCL.

I totally understand your frustration. I booked my Alaska cruise through a book everything site and was assigned a TA. Everytime I asked a question, she would put me on hold and call NCL. I questioned an additional savings that NCL offered and her attitude was, you got a great price already and she claimed to call NCL and they said that the benefit was not available. My situation was that the price from the site was lower than NCL's. In the end, NCL lowered their price and I called the site, I didn't deal with the specific TA after final payment (she was also more and more difficult to contact after the booking). I called and they told me that there were no more cabins available and no price adjustment.

When I arrived on the ship, there was a voucher for OBC for the price difference.

After this experience, I will more likely deal directly with the cruise line as I usually do. As for reward points, I paid for the cruise with my NCL MasterCard and should receive double points, I have to check. Good luck.

I booked my first cruise with a TA because they had a lower per person price for a balcony cabin on the Pride of America. We paid $1299/person versus $1799/person at the time we booked. Wasn't worth it.

The TA was pleasant as could be before we booked. Even said she'd take care of the daily service charge for us. After we booked it, she was very hard to get a hold of. When I didn't see things on the invoice that I thought I should have seen, it was very difficult to get things confirmed. The DSC? She denied saying she'd cover that. We also wanted to make monthly payments toward the cruise fare verses one big lump payment at the end. Took quite a bit of convincing to get her to do this and NCL had the option on the website blocked out since I booked through a TA.

Never again will I book through a TA. I'm sure there's a lot of good ones out there, but it's too much of a gamble. This is also why I will never book with a CC group cruise.

There is often a difference between booking with an independent agent and an "agency". An agency has additional resources that can help you in the event that your representative takes flight or is unresponsive. Agencies go under too (my parents had paid for a land/sea tour, then the agency closed their doors and took all the money), but a lot of the issues go away if you're working with a real company. While others might not like Costco, they have a real travel department that I can access to address my needs, and I got a lot cheaper price than booking direct.

Back to the OP... If there is no other recourse you have with this TA (like speaking to a manager, etc.) I would call NCL again and tell them I want to switch my booking to them. They should be more open to talking to you at this point. :)

Archived