Open balcony dividers?

satchiesmom

The answers seem to change by ship. The star, I believe has bolted dividers. We were able to have them completely removed years ago by raising a serious fuss as our TA had specifically requested rooms with openable balconies. On out Transfer Atlantic, they would only open them in port, but our cabin steward was right there to open them each time. On the epic, the barriers were very narrow and even when opened you couldn't actually see your neighbor without standing up. On the gem, no opening again. Hope we will succeed on the Jewel. We always travel with one or 2 other couples and really enjoy our time on our long joint balcony.

Margaret

...and NCL does read these boards and will do something in the future if people continue to circumvent their procedures and rules.

Just saying'

John

Its like the HSN OBC, everybody gets a different answer.

BRING THE WRENCH and unfortunately your stewards answer is not the top rung of the ladder

Doubtful NCL would change 4 nuts on 20,000 balcony's fleetwide. It's not in da budget

LOL:D

Its like the HSN OBC, everybody gets a different answer.

BRING THE WRENCH and unfortunately your stewards answer is not the top rung of the ladder

Doubtful NCL would change 4 nuts on 20,000 balcony's fleetwide. It's not in da budget

LOL:D

Comparing an OBC to a heavy steel door slamming on someones hand or other appendage? Not in the budget to change a few nuts as compared to a major lawsuit for the loss of a hand or worse? Makes perfect sense to me. :confused: SMH!!

John

P.S. 20,000 is a bit of an exaggeration doncha think? That's about 1,800 balconies per ship with most ships only carrying a little over 2,000 passengers. ;)

Edited by Beaver1975

We just got off the Jewel and had 4 mini-suites on deck 11, all in a row. We opened all the balcony dividers ourselves before we left Seattle, and they stayed open the entire trip without issue. It was wonderful. I'll post a picture once I get them uploaded.

We just got off the Jewel and had 4 mini-suites on deck 11, all in a row. We opened all the balcony dividers ourselves before we left Seattle, and they stayed open the entire trip without issue. It was wonderful. I'll post a picture once I get them uploaded.

Welcome back Mike - hope you had a great time!

This is what I was hoping to hear because we'll have 3 minis side by side and we're hoping to have the dividers open. At least for part of the time.

Edited by Hikini

...and I always thought your would be one of the last to disregard rules/guidelines. SMH :(

Oh well, As I said before, NCL reads these boards and will probably have to do something to resolve this issue. Probably at a significant cost, which may be passed on to passengers in some way.

John

Edited by Beaver1975

I for some reason though it was the balcony that was open not a door in the room that you could use. I would have been so disappointed.

But now that I know I’m hoping to be able to get our cabin attendant to take the Dividers out for us.

We are on the SUN in January anyone know if they let you take the dividers out? We Paid a lot more for the rooms too!! We will still have a great time

Having had both yes and no answers by both the cabin steward and by the chief engineer, my only question is, why do they make them so that they can be opened if they won't open them?

On some cruises they have been left open the whole cruise while others only in port and still others, not at all.

It is the reason we book 3 or 4 balcony mini suite cabins in a row. It is an important part of our cruise experience!

Margaret

ok are they easy to open? can you open them yourself? why even get them side by side if you can't open them. that is why I got balcony cabins in a row. I think it's an important part of our cruise experience also. you think when i was booking someone should have said oh by the way you can't open the doors between the rooms!

Generally the cabin steward uses what appears to be an Allen wrench to unlock them. On some of NCL's older ships they are bolted in with 4 bolts. I was actually persistent enough one cruise that the chief engineer came up, examined them and had his crew unbolt them and then tape big cushions of foam rubber over the brackets so we wouldn't hurt ourselves. It worked well.

Margaret

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV1CdDJ7gXyDnYH_q19V8UK4r55ofdGj1B4DUvqdaxGV7kFU-21gif you use one of these and some common sense, like only open the divider when you and your neighbor are on the balcony, you can even place one of the chair/loungers if front of open divider to prevent it from closing on someone or some random body part. you will be just fine. :p:D

Does anyone know the specific size of the Allen wrench/key that seems to work?

We had previously cruised on CCL Dream and they opened up the partition and we placed a chair there to prompt it open but was wonderful to have the added space and share a large balcony with friends...

We went on Pearl and had connecting balcony rooms again for this reason and they said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! called down to ask again...NO!!!! safety...they will not open.......we were very disappointed but still had a blast and just peaked around the corners :D

Having had both yes and no answers by both the cabin steward and by the chief engineer, my only question is, why do they make them so that they can be opened if they won't open them?

On some cruises they have been left open the whole cruise while others only in port and still others, not at all.

It is the reason we book 3 or 4 balcony mini suite cabins in a row. It is an important part of our cruise experience!

Margaret

They can and do open them. They facilitate the cleaning/washing of the balconies during changeover.

• 1 month later...
i don't recall the exact size, so i bring a few ranging from 1/8"-1/2" they don't take up much room in your luggage.:D

It is so good of you to promote bad actions. It is known that NCL does not want these dividers opened by passengers, yet you continue to tell people how to break NCL's rules. Yea you!

John

Edited by Beaver1975

Ything

We haven't had any problems having the stewards open the door between the balconies. Enjoy your cruise.

I see you are cruising October 10th please let us know what you find out if anything about opening thedoors between balconies we are cruising February 2nd on the epic with 3 aft balconies and we are hoping to be able to open doors between

It is so good of you to promote bad actions. It is known that NCL does not want these dividers opened by passengers, yet you continue to tell people how to break NCL's rules. Yea you!

John

its not like i suggested a wifi decoder (for port days)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=wifi+decoder

or a rumrunner (for your balcony)

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

:p