Ferry From Naples to Positano

gatorpuppy

We arrive in Naples mid-July for 1 day (7am - 6pm) Thinking of skiping Pompeii but would like to avoid the crowed roads leading to the Amalfi Coast so looking for feedback on ferry/boat service to Positano for lunch with a stop in Sorrento on the afternoon return back to Naples.

Thanks!:)

What feedback are you looking for? It certainly can be done, you just have to carefully watch your time because you won't have a lot of options. There are more boats on the Naples - Sorrento portion of the trip, but not as many for the Positano - Sorrento section.

For example, you can get a boat from Naples Beverello, the pier right next to the cruise port, at 8:30 AM that arrives in Sorrento at 9 AM, then continues on to Positano arriving at 9:55 AM. The one way fare is 17 Euro.

The same company (metrodelmare.net) does not have a return schedule that fits your needs, but others will. It requires more searching online to find the individual schedules. Other companies will also offer earlier boats to Sorrento, but you would need to get off and change to another line for the next portion. Easily enough done, but takes a little more research to set it all up.

The city of Positano has a brochure with beautiful pictures that you can download here: http://www.comune.positano.sa.it/risorse/Positano%20brochure%2024x16.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser

I've just done some quick checking and while I'm not finding a good return ferry schedule for you, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

HOWEVER, just in case, be prepared to take a land taxi from Positano to Sorrento for the ride back. At Sorrento you'll find frequent ferries to Naples (at least one or two each hour).

I've just done some quick checking and while I'm not finding a good return ferry schedule for you, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

HOWEVER, just in case, be prepared to take a land taxi from Positano to Sorrento for the ride back. At Sorrento you'll find frequent ferries to Naples (at least one or two each hour).

WOW...thanks so much for the great information....we really want to have lunch in Positano and then see Sorrento so good to know with some homework it can be done in the short time we are there. Thanks again!

What you want to do will be fairly easy. As noted, you can be in Positano by boat at 10 AM and have a couple of hours to wander there before lunch (most places don't start serving until 12:30, some a little earlier). If you leave for Sorrento by taxi around 2 PM you'll be there between 2:45 - 3 PM, depending on traffic. To save money, but not time, you could also take the SITA bus. On page two of this attachment you'll find the daily SITA bus schedule between Positano and Sorrento: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5070.pdf. The 2:10 bus from Positano, for example, would put you in Sorrento at 3 PM. This will be a boatload cheaper than a taxi.

There is a 4:25 Alilauro boat back to Naples from Sorrento that puts you at the cruise port at 5 PM. That would allow you about 90 minutes to explore Sorrento (which is plenty of time, in my opinion, as many shops will be closed in mid-afternoon).

Edited by euro cruiser

What you want to do will be fairly easy. As noted, you can be in Positano by boat at 10 AM and have a couple of hours to wander there before lunch (most places don't start serving until 12:30, some a little earlier). If you leave for Sorrento by taxi around 2 PM you'll be there between 2:45 - 3 PM, depending on traffic. To save money, but not time, you could also take the SITA bus. On page two of this attachment you'll find the daily SITA bus schedule between Positano and Sorrento: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5070.pdf. The 2:10 bus from Positano, for example, would put you in Sorrento at 3 PM. This will be a boatload cheaper than a taxi.

There is a 4:25 Alilauro boat back to Naples from Sorrento that puts you at the cruise port at 5 PM. That would allow you about 90 minutes to explore Sorrento (which is plenty of time, in my opinion, as many shops will be closed in mid-afternoon).

Euro Cruiser.....you a a wealth of information and it's all very much appreciated. Ferry schedules, bus schedules......you are better than a travel agent or Rick Steves :) Thanks so much again!

I would think the taxi fare from Positano to Sorrento would be EXPENSIVE........

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We are trying to do a similar journey on September 7th. We'd like to leave the cruise port as early as possible (ship gets there at 7:00) to get to positano, see Sorrento on the way back and have some time left for Naples (namely pizza!).

We are not able to find any schedules for ferries from naples to Sorrento that are before 9am.. We are hoping to catch one 7:30 - 8ish. Does anyone know where we can find a schedule for this? Or what companies operate ealier?

Also, trying to email metrodelmare for more information, we received an automated response saying:

"We inform you that metro del mare service ends on 04 settembre 2011."

Has this company gone out of business? We found a recent posting on cruisecritic (June 2012) mentioning a ferry from Naples straight to positano? Does this exist? Or do we need to connect through Sorrento?

Thank you!

WOW...thanks so much for the great information....we really want to have lunch in Positano and then see Sorrento so good to know with some homework it can be done in the short time we are there. Thanks again!

Just keep in mind that Sorrento (nor our favorite place in this wonderful region) pretty much closes-up in the afternoon. Of course the cafes (and many restaurants) are open but you will find that many of the decent shops/boutiques in town are closed from about 1:30 until at least 4.

Hank

Hey Gatorpuppy and Euro Cruiser, you guys have asked and answered any questions I would have asked about getting to and back from Positano. We are going to be in Naples 10/15. Thanks for all the help.

Jeff

Yes, even though it's only about 12 miles I would expect to pay as much as 50 Euro by cab, but if it's that or miss your ship ...

It is 12 extremely winding miles of road and cliffs and takes about an hour to get to Sorrento from Positano. You have beautiful scenery along the way though. We have done it several times on the SITA bus.:)

It is 12 extremely winding miles of road and cliffs and takes about an hour to get to Sorrento from Positano. You have beautiful scenery along the way though. We have done it several times on the SITA bus.:)

Approximately how long does Positano to Sorrento take on the SITA bus?

Hello,

We are trying to do a similar journey on September 7th. We'd like to leave the cruise port as early as possible (ship gets there at 7:00) to get to positano, see Sorrento on the way back and have some time left for Naples (namely pizza!).

We are not able to find any schedules for ferries from naples to Sorrento that are before 9am.. We are hoping to catch one 7:30 - 8ish. Does anyone know where we can find a schedule for this? Or what companies operate ealier?

Also, trying to email metrodelmare for more information, we received an automated response saying:

"We inform you that metro del mare service ends on 04 settembre 2011."

Has this company gone out of business? We found a recent posting on cruisecritic (June 2012) mentioning a ferry from Naples straight to positano? Does this exist? Or do we need to connect through Sorrento?

Thank you!

To answer my own question, we have confirmed that metro del mare did in fact go out of business.

To answer my own question, we have confirmed that metro del mare did in fact go out of business.

I just took a quick look through the list of companies on the Naples Port Authority web site (here: http://www.porto.napoli.it/it/settori/passeggeri.php), and none of them are showing a direct trip from Naples Beverello to Positano. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but if it does they're managing to keep it really quiet.

Not sure what your budget is, but thought I'd share another option. We hired a private driver when we docked in Naples for the day. More expensive than a bus or ferry? Sure. But worth it? Absolutely! This was by far the best day of our Mediterranean cruise and a private driver allowed us to maximize the precious time we had there. Our driver picked us up in an air conditioned minivan and drove us directly to Pompeii where we spent a couple hours. I think Pompeii is definitely worth seeing. From there we drove to Sorrento and had lunch. Honestly, Sorrento was lovely, but my memories of it fade in comparison to the highlight of the day - Positano. It was absolutely stunning! So much so, that I returned for my honeymoon 9 years later. You will definitely want time to eat, walk around, shop, take pictures, etc. From there our driver took us all the way to the town of Amalfi. The views as we drove along the Amalfi Coast were exquisite. From there he took us back to our ship in Naples.

Yes, it is more expensive, but I would consider it if your budget allows. It takes the stress out of figuring out public transportation when you are on a tight schedule. The driver knows the lay of the land and what itinerary is feasible for your schedule. And he was much more than a driver. He was extremely knowledgable. Basically, we had a private tour guide. And I know we saw much more than we would have if we had attempted to do it on our own.

Good luck and enjoy Positano! Can't wait to return one day!

I just took a quick look through the list of companies on the Naples Port Authority web site (here: http://www.porto.napoli.it/it/settori/passeggeri.php), and none of them are showing a direct trip from Naples Beverello to Positano. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but if it does they're managing to keep it really quiet.

Thanks! Beside the one post alluding to it, we couldn't find any other concrete evidence of this route. It may have been the company that is no longer in business that ran from Naples to positano..?

We decided to go straight to Capri from Naples in the mornings. Spend a few hours there and then take the 12pm hydrofoil to positano

If you read the quote you included in your post, you'll see that it takes about an hour. If you need to confirm this you can see the SITA bus schedule here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/public/tpl/campania/5070.pdf

Thanks. That is th schedule we're using for our planning but was just wondering if anyone has experiences with the bus taking longer/shorter than noted - or going off schedule at all.

Lynxcat, could you tell me the cost of the taxi to Amalfi etc? We have already been to Pompeii, but would like to see the Amalfi coast, Thanks.

I think Lynxcat was talking about a car and driver service, not a cab. For comparison, the fixed rate for a taxi from the port to the Amalfi coast and back (no time limit, as long as you return the same day) is €220. A driver service will cost significantly more, but you will be guaranteed an English speaking driver (there is no such guarantee with a cab, in fact, it's unlikely that a cab driver will speak more than rudimentary English) who will also provide a running commentary, if you want it.

You can download the fixed rate taxi fares from the city's web site here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665. Although it says fares in effect 2009, they are still the current fares.

• 2 weeks later...
What feedback are you looking for? It certainly can be done, you just have to carefully watch your time because you won't have a lot of options. There are more boats on the Naples - Sorrento portion of the trip, but not as many for the Positano - Sorrento section.

For example, you can get a boat from Naples Beverello, the pier right next to the cruise port, at 8:30 AM that arrives in Sorrento at 9 AM, then continues on to Positano arriving at 9:55 AM. The one way fare is 17 Euro.

The same company (metrodelmare.net) does not have a return schedule that fits your needs, but others will. It requires more searching online to find the individual schedules. Other companies will also offer earlier boats to Sorrento, but you would need to get off and change to another line for the next portion. Easily enough done, but takes a little more research to set it all up.

The city of Positano has a brochure with beautiful pictures that you can download here: http://www.comune.positano.sa.it/risorse/Positano%20brochure%2024x16.pdf

Thanks for the details. We want to go to Naples to Positano and then bus down the Amalfi Coast and back to Naples. Any ideas???

Thanks for the details. We want to go to Naples to Positano and then bus down the Amalfi Coast and back to Naples. Any ideas???

I just posted this in response to a similar question on another thread.

You can take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento, then from Sorrento to Positano.

From Positano to Amalfi you can use the SITA bus, and from Amalfi to Salerno a different SITA bus. At Salerno you can get the Trenitalia train back to Naples.

The Positano - Amalfi SITA bus schedule is here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/publi...pania/5070.pdf

The Amalfi - Salerno SITA bus schedule is here: http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/publi...pania/5120.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser