Dress Code for Children @ Dinner

I don't know if my eight year old daughter will be with the children program or not. We usually keep her with us, and this time grandma, grandpa, aunt and uncle will be there also. The grandparents are pretty traditional, so I think they would question why she's not having dinner w/us. My daughter is pretty well-behaved, so I don't need to worry about her being bored (auntie will definitely entertain her). She'll be the only child in our group.

In case she's going to eat in the dining room w/us all nights, what is expected of her as far as dress code? For example, should we bring a couple of dresses for the formal night (she only has two anyway)? For the informal and casual nights, other than not having her wear jeans to the dining room, is it okay if she's wearing leggings or other cotton pants, including capris? Her top will probably be long sleeve cotton shirts with no logos or sweaters She goes to private school, so most of the time she's in uniform, which means we don't have a lot of regular clothes for her, so we may need to go shopping very soon.

Thanks.

I don't know if my eight year old daughter will be with the children program or not. We usually keep her with us, and this time grandma, grandpa, aunt and uncle will be there also. The grandparents are pretty traditional, so I think they would question why she's not having dinner w/us. My daughter is pretty well-behaved, so I don't need to worry about her being bored (auntie will definitely entertain her). She'll be the only child in our group.

In case she's going to eat in the dining room w/us all nights, what is expected of her as far as dress code? For example, should we bring a couple of dresses for the formal night (she only has two anyway)? For the informal and casual nights, other than not having her wear jeans to the dining room, is it okay if she's wearing leggings or other cotton pants, including capris? Her top will probably be long sleeve cotton shirts with no logos or sweaters She goes to private school, so most of the time she's in uniform, which means we don't have a lot of regular clothes for her, so we may need to go shopping very soon.

Thanks.

From what you've said, I'd go shopping. Her attire should be under the same guidelines as the adults. I don't think leggings are appropriate.

From what you've said, I'd go shopping. Her attire should be under the same guidelines as the adults. I don't think leggings are appropriate.

I agree. When I first started cruising at 9YO, I was always dressed appropriately. It added to my pleasure to look pretty every evening and I learned to really enjoy a nice dinner atmosphere.

It has stuck with me forever.

OK... guess it's shopping we will go. Her last cruise, she was only 1 of 4 children on the ship and she was not yet 4, so it didn't matter as much, but I also didn't have any children to observe (one was an infant, another a toddler and the last one a 12 year old). Love to hear other feedback as well. Thanks!

I agree with the other posters - children should be dressed in accordance with the guidelines. Perhaps a skirt with a few different tops will help your pocketbook. Check out the thrift stores too - many "party" type dresses for young girls are only worn a few times - they look like new and won't cost you a fortune.

Have a great cruise.

We took our three year old grandson and his parents on a cruise with us last year and observed a lot of children. We dressed him according to the same guidlines as the adults each evening. Even at the tender age of three, he enjoyed being dressed in the same way as the rest of the family. It was a great experience.

I do have an idea for shopping. We were able to get some great buys at outlet stores. i don't know if you have any near where you live, but you can get fantasic clothes at discount prices at these stores. They discount the clothing up to 80% of retail price.

Linda :)

I agree with the other posters - children should be dressed in accordance with the guidelines. Perhaps a skirt with a few different tops will help your pocketbook.

Thanks for the idea on the skirts. Her tops will fit into the "informal" category, so she can just change from her pants to a skirt for informal dinners. We already have two party dresses (three formal nights), so as long as she doesn't spill something, we're okay.

It's perpetually 60-65 degrees here, so she rarely has the occasion to wear skirts/dresses, so we don't have any.

Archived