Cameras and Pick Pockets In Rome

I have read the treads about the pick pockets in Rome. Does anyone have any guidance regarding cameras, camera bags, or video recorders. Other than the obvious that carrying these items is a "big" sign we are tourists, have others had any of these types of items stolen by pick pockets? Any hints on securing these? Thanks for your guidance!

hello me and my wife were in rome in late october,we left passports in safe in room and took photo copy with us ,left all credit cards in safe,i had the bulk of our money in a moneybelt on me ,and wife had some cash on her,didnt have any problems at all:))),our tour guide said to have someone go with you when or if you need to withdraw cash at any atm,just for precaution:)))as far as cameras and camcorders,i always had hand wrapped around strap on camera bag ,but you shouldnt have any probs,and you can look on boards for more of this type of info,in the (europe)section,have a great time :)))),were going back in june wee hawww:)))))))

Good advice from bubbadog. You might also read this:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm

In his Italy 2005 book, he suggests going to the terrace above the bus stop at the Colosseum Metro station. Says it sad, but you can watch the thieving quite easily from up there.

Heard a story from a friend yesterday. This happened in Florence. I heard mention of people swarming you, and wondered what that meant. This friend's Mom was wearing a waist pouch, facing forward. A woman and group of small children approached her. Several kids licked their hands, and wiped them repeatedly on her arms. While she was shooing them away, the mother held a newspaper at her waist as if to show her something. Another child was under the newspaper, unzipping the waist pouch.

The Italy 2005 book seems a good investment, in part because it mentions where theft is high risk; Metro, certain bus lines, etc.

One of the reasons I wear a travel money holder "purse" under my clothes. I make sure I wear a loose fitting top, too, so it's not obvious it's under there. The length of the strap around your neck is adjustable, so I wear it right between my boobs. If anyone is going to reach "there" (unless it's my DH... :D :D :D ), I'm going to instinctively smack them!

It's also an easy place to fold your arms across your chest.

We were walking along with a tour group in Florence and a group of theives created a ruckus in front of us as they were walking toward us. It's a diversion, and we just kept our hands on our stuff as we walked by.

I go to Europe at least once a year,and I have never had a problem anywhere.Last year I spent 3 weeks in Italy,and was fine.One can say that in Spain the pickpockets are just as bad as Rome or Florence,but if one is always aware of your surroundings you should be fine.Keep you bag strap over your shoulder or across your body,keep just what you need for the day in it,and carry your extra stuff in a bag form a local shop with a logo on it as it makes you look like you just may live there.Never,and I mean never hang bag,camera or anything on the back of a chair while eating.Keep in lap or the straps wrapped around legs.Do not walk to close to the curb if you are a woman with a bag on the narrow streets as some theives will grab bag when they are riding on a scooter.If you do come across a group of kids or ladies with cardboard..look them straight in the eye and say NO...never stop just keep going or if you can avoid them before they approach you.Watch out for the scam of someone spilling something on you and then offering to clean you off..just move on quickly.Commen sense is the best defense against getting ripped off.It really is the same for any city in Europe or here in the US..just be careful,stay aware,and most all enjoy your trip not what could happen.Sorry..didn't mean to write so much,but a lot has been written before,and I find these to be good tips.

I totally agree with the last poster. You are going on holiday to have a good time. Be aware at all times what is going on around you. We had a very nice gentleman trying to help us in Naples and I was distancing myself from him. But he was only trying to help. Would you let a group of strange kids swarm around you in your home town? i don't think so. Don't advertise the fact that you are a tourist and try to act like one of the locals. The first thing we get rid of is the sticky badge that they give you on the ship. Stick it in the back of your guide book. Don't wear lots of jewellry and keep your eyes open to things and people that don't look quite right.

And most of all enjoy.

I just ordered a new purse from TravelSmith and it seems to be about perfect for me. It's made to be worn across the body and it lays flat. I ordered the small one. Just big enough to hold a few things. Anyone familiar with this purse?

Hands Off Handbag

I am not especially worried about pick-pockets, but I like the idea of the bag being on my front and keeping my hands free.

As for my camera, I think I will just hold it in my hand, or if it fits in the new purse I am getting, I might put it in there....it's a fairly small digital camera, a Canon S-45. We are taking private tours in most ports so if I want to I suppose I could leave the camera in the car with the driver if I am tired of using it or holding it. :)

The length of the strap around your neck is adjustable, so I wear it right between my boobs. If anyone is going to reach "there" (unless it's my DH... :D :D :D ), I'm going to instinctively smack them!

OK, but how do you access your money when you need it?

If you wear a money belt or neck belt it is really not a good idea to open it in public...it is better to keep your DAY'S cash and a CC in a small wallet in your bag.I generally leave cash,and plane tickets and passport in the hotel safe.Carry all your money on your person is NOT a good idea IMHO.You can access the money carriers if you want to,but it does open you up to curious eyes that you may not see.

We kept our neck pouches tucked 1/2 way into our pants under our shirts, but the shirts weren't tucked in. When we needed our CC or cash, we would pull it out from our waistbands but still left it around our necks. Then we would pull out only what was needed. When the transaction was done, we tucked it back in our waistbands.

It's quite simple and not that complicated. The larger bills and passports were kept in a zippered pocket in the pouch and smaller bills are kept in the outer, easier accessible pocket.

I have travelled all over the world and was robbed 2. Just some money etc., as we carry only what we need that day. No jewelry, a cheap watch etc.,

However this happened once in Istanbul and once in Amsterdam (almost my hometown!). Both times (for just a few moments) we didnot carry our bag in front of us but on our shoulders...... So be careful all the time.

Also leave those nice shoppingbags which some cruisecompanies give you on board. They are one big add and show you are a tourist.

We just returned from a week in Rome. Used the metro extensively, without a problem. I wore a money belt, held a small amount of euros in my wallet for easy access.

We were in many crowded areas, including near the Spanish steps. Bigger problem was people coming up to you trying to sell junk. Said no firmly, they left.

IMHO, concerns are somewhat overstated....I went to Rome very nervous, after reading all the posts re pickpockets, gypsies etc., but didn't see any more crime than other European cities we've visited.

I was in Rome, Florence, Venice, Sorrento, Naples, Taormina and Palmero in September of 2000. Didn't have any problems with pickpockets or diversions leading to pickpockets. I had a money belt under my clothes(around my waist) and only accessed it in a bathroom stall. Had my camera, some money and credit card in a fanny pack. I always kept my hand on it and had it in front.

BUT, we (my daughter and I) got robbed on a night train from Munich to Venice. We have learned we were very stupid because we both fell asleep in our train cabin (seats 6), but we were the only two. Evidently someone came in while we were asleep and picked my daughters wallet out of her bag and unzipped one of the outside zippers on my fanny pack and got some money (I had the strap wrapped around my wrist and can't believe someone was that close to me and I didn't know it!!). Luckily our passports were not taken, nor my credit card. We filed a report with the police at the Venice train station, but her wallet has never turned up. Unfortunately she lost everything, except her passport. The police said the train stops in Verona for about an hour and anyone can enter the train. That's probably when it happened. We learned a valuable lesson. If you're going on a night train, pay more for a sleeping car, which I did for the rest of the trip.

For our upcoming cruise on the Brillance, I've bought my husband a pouch that goes under the waist of his pants, but has two loops that go around his belt. That way he can pull it out and get money etc. and it's still attached to his belt. We're on private tours in most of the ports, so I don't see a huge problem. Hopefully!!

Donna

I can't even believe the one in the Rick Steve's "essay" about the Fake Tourist Police.

If someone walked up to me asked to see my wallet to inspect for couterfit money I'd probably laugh in their face. I can't believe some of the things people fall for.

I'm more worried about someone grabbing something from me or one of those things where someone bumps into you and you don't even know something is gone. :eek:

Lisa

I had a kid try to pick my pocket on the Metro at Spagna (Spanish Steps). As soon as I step into the car I felt a hand start into my pocket. I immediately grabbed his hand and he took off. The Italian gentleman next to us reached down and picked up my husband's wallet from the floor of the train and handed it to my husband. The only thing we could think was that the kid already had my husband's wallet when I grabbed him and dropped it when he took off.

I would never recommend grabbing a pickpocket....I think I just reacted on instinct. Thank goodness it was daylight in a crowded subway car.

Archived