wi-fi

We are sailing on the Majesty friday and are wondering if it is worth taking my net book

first time cruiser:)

I went to use the ship's wifi on one occasion and it was down and I didn't bother after that as it was £12 an hour. I did use it in a cafe in Katakalon where there was lots of free wifi but didn't see much free wifi during the Adriatic explorer week. To be honest I don't know if I would bother taking it again as there were so many other things to do and I got fed up carrying it with me and not using it.

We are sailing on the Majesty friday and are wondering if it is worth taking my net book

Actually I think that may have been 12 pence a minute which I still think it is quite pricey. I think I left my brain in the Adriatic. You are in for a real treat on this itinerary. I hope you have a wonderful time.

If you do want to take your netbook along you will find free wi fi in most ports - just follow the crew! However I took mine along on the last cruise for the first time intending to use it, and just didn't have chance - there really is always something more interesting to do.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't take a netbook on a cruise - the ships internet is slow and expensive; there is plentiful free wifi available on shore, a perfect example being the main area in Split - easy to find and log onto using a simple password. Most cafes have free wifi, all you have to do is ask for a password which they are more than happy to give.

I thought going away on a cruise was to get away from all this internet lark, well try telling my Facebook-addicted daughter that!!

I'm on dream in 2 weeks roman epic/moorish delights

Can anyone tell me best ports for free wifi.

I just want to be able to send message/photos bac home to the kids.

It's just me and hubby going and the 3 boys are home alone so want to send the some photos to show them what a great time we're having without them (ha ha)

I use my mobile when in Europe now, mobile phone, roaming charges within the EU were capped in July to 57p per MB data across all networks (A directive from the EU)

US and outside EU price is still astronomical tho!! £7.50 per MB on T Mobile!! to send & recieve!!

Hi,

I always take the netbook with me. Not for connecting to the internet but to back up and view the pics and videos taken.

And listen to music too.

Berwyn

Be careful not to be conned and ask the price of drinks if you are using an Internet cafe. See my other post. Look for Starbucks in port they are free. Using one now.

Agree, brilliant for backing up photos in case something goes wrong with camera, gets stolen or you take too many photos

Be careful not to be conned and ask the price of drinks if you are using an Internet cafe. See my other post. Look for Starbucks in port they are free. Using one now.

Agree, brilliant for backing up photos in case something goes wrong with camera, gets stolen or you take too many photos

Thanks for that, glad you found it useful. I actually lost my camera in Spain in July. Thank goodness I had backed up all the pics on to the netbook the night before.

Thanks too for the info about Wi-fi. Glad you're having a great time.

Berwyn

• 3 months later...

Hi

We took our IPod and IPhone on a Canaries cruise last year and found enough Internet cafes ashore to make it worthwhile taking the devices. It has become a bit of a hobby of ours, wherever we go, to find the free Wifi cafes, ask for help from the staff and make contact with our emails and Facebook. We don't pay for Wifi on any of the ships we go on, because it is too expensive!

Archived