Air Fare

Bigdog2003

I look for a cruise I want, then make sure I can get free tickets. Once seats open up on the air plane I book and then book the cruise the same day.

But it mainly depends on the seats on the plane. Another cruise will always be available but not always free airline tickets.

I'm looking at prices now for our cruise in March 2013. Living in London Ontario it is closer for us to fly from Detroit than it is from Toronto. Plus it is March break and the flights out of Toronto are much higher than Detroit and the airport in Detroit isn't as congested as TO. With our cruise leaving on the Saturday we want to fly to Lauderdale Friday. No difference in price. We are waiting for Spirit to come out with there prices and we are looking at Delta as well. We also want a direct flight. Right now Delta is about 1200 for the two of us return. That's more than the cruise. I search every day.[/QU

I'm in Windsor, ON and fly out of Detroit all the time. $1200 seems really high. We are booking for Jan 2013 & leaving on a Friday , returning the following Sat. I've been price watching for a month and the hightest price was $293 each? Have you tried Travelocity.com NOT .ca. Have a great cruise hope you find some good deals on flights

• 1 month later...

Yep, Airtran runs the best sales (out of Atlanta anyway). I'm waiting for their schedule to San Juan for next March (31st) to open up. They won't book out more than six months. It's hard trying to be patient. But I KNOW I can find a better deal than $500 a person from Atl. to San Juan. I would be crazy to book now unless something surprisingly low came up. Never count on Delta to be competitive. I live in their hub city and still can't get a deal with them. I have to book for four of us. Not going to the poor house just because I'm eager to book.:cool: Wait......however, don't be greedy. You find a good deal don't wait for something lower. Go with your gut on these fares.

I have the Delta AMEX card. Once a year I can use my "companion coupon" for $100. Plus the so called "miles" I have accumulated to pay off the fare.

It has worked out well for me, SO FAR:rolleyes:

My next door neighbor is cruising on the NCL Pride Of America in December 2012. Airfare from Newark (EWR) to Hawaii is over $1,500.00 nonstop for December 13th to January 3rd. Prices are even higher for a few connecting flights. Flying out of John F Kennedy International Airport on Hawaiian Airlines saves her approximately two hundred dollars. Flights for my European cruises in 2008,2009, and 2010 were cheaper than that.

I jumped too quickly on a SW flight from Kansas City to Orlando. 1 week later flight dropped by $88 pp. We ended up re booking, but had to take air credit. Now we are taking an unexpected vaction just to use up the air credit before it expires. In the future I think I will wait to book my cruise after I find out what airfare will be.

I think if it involves any holidays, it is better to book early. We are going to San Juan over Thanksgiving week and coming back the Sunday after Thanksgiving, the busiest travel day of the year. We booked in April,

$670 pp from Charlotte NC to San Juan-just looked at the fares yesterday, around $1387 PP. Soooooooooooo glad we booked early.:D

I'm looking at prices now for our cruise in March 2013. Living in London Ontario it is closer for us to fly from Detroit than it is from Toronto. Plus it is March break and the flights out of Toronto are much higher than Detroit and the airport in Detroit isn't as congested as TO. With our cruise leaving on the Saturday we want to fly to Lauderdale Friday. No difference in price. We are waiting for Spirit to come out with there prices and we are looking at Delta as well. We also want a direct flight. Right now Delta is about 1200 for the two of us return. That's more than the cruise. I search every day.

I also second the West Jet suggestions. Even though we live near Buffalo, NY and have Southwest and other low cost carriers, we have found cheaper fares out of Hamilton, Ont. than what we could find out of Buffalo or Rochester. For us, it was only an extra 45 minute drive. There is also Spirit and Allegient out of Niagara Falls, NY.

Because they don't charge for luggage (untill after 2 bags pp) and because their on time stats are pretty good we use southwest.

I know at least a year out where and when I'm going, I just watch their site for sales, I can usually find pretty good deals, been lucky with this, the key is patience!!!

Carole

Jet Blue sent me an email saying they will be opening up their flights through 4/30/13 on Sunday the 22nd at noon!

Jet Blue is coming to Providence but does not release any Orlando flights until November. Southwest will release Orlando flights the end of August for April.

Just for reference I priced airfare for our Feb school vacation (I am cruising our April school vacation)....the airfare for the three of us is the same price as what we are paying for our week cruise...CRAZY!!!!!

Im actually doing both! My cruise is out of San Juan next May. We get back to port the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. I found a flight from SJU to Boston for $157. I thought that was good for a Sunday, especially a holiday weekend.

We leave for the cruise on the 19th, but Im planning to fly into SJU a day or 2 before. Im really flexible on that end, so Im waiting for Jetblue and Air Tran to come out with their rates. Even if they are not the lowest, they tend to loew the price of the other airlines, especially Delta.

We normally fly in the day before and I like have the non stop. So that means flying AirTran out of Ohio or Indianapolis. IF you are porting out of Miami, you might think about flying into Ft. Lauderdale because of the direct and it is normally cheaper than Miami. Also the hotels are usually more resonable. I just booked Columbus to Ft. Lauderdale for a Feb. cruise, last year I paid $106 one way which was a real bargain so it hut paying $190 one way this year. With that said it has already gone up a total of $57 so hopefully I jumped on at the right time, but yea it could go down.

Figure you can either gamble on the slot machines or the airfare, both seem to me the luck of the draw. But in general I normally book early. Hope this helps a bit, Lydia of Ohio and Mary from Indianapolis

I've read that you get the best fares when you book about 6 weeks before you fly. I wish I had found that before I booked our tickets! We live less than ten miles from an international airport but decided to fly out of Boston (4 hours away) because it saved us $200 after parking. Since our flight leaves before noon DH and I decided to go to Boston the night before. Well our local airport tickets are now only $100 more than Boston's. So adding in hotel, gas, and parking, we're now spending more to fly out of Boston :(

I buy them as soon as the dates are available. We only fly Jet Blue if possible and I have checked the fares constantly after booking and haven't seen them go down on our last several vacations.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Still playing game for April 2013 to SNA(Long Beach)

Delta is becoming my least favorite airline. If it were not for one free bag DH and I recieve--I would not book them.

Local airport small so we are at mercy of US Air and Delta

Have the same situation here in Augusta with choosing local flight out, either Delta or US Air. Have to travel to Atlanta to get a good deal sometimes.

Have the same situation here in Augusta with choosing local flight out, either Delta or US Air. Have to travel to Atlanta to get a good deal sometimes.

We normally fly Air Tran out of Charlotte. This year we saved nearly $400 by booking out of ATL with Delta. The price difference will pay for all of our luggage fees, parking, gas to drive and a meal on the way. Air Tran isn't the bargain it used to be.

Jet Blue is coming to Providence but does not release any Orlando flights until November. Southwest will release Orlando flights the end of August for April.

Just for reference I priced airfare for our Feb school vacation (I am cruising our April school vacation)....the airfare for the three of us is the same price as what we are paying for our week cruise...CRAZY!!!!!

Just looked at Jet Blue and they have flights posted for April from Providence to Orlando.....$430.00 pp one way :mad::mad::mad: Crazy...just crazy.

I am beyond thrilled that I got a $99.00 per person fare from BWI (Baltimore Washington) to Ft. Lauderdale for our March 2, 2013 flight on Southwest. I saw it and booked it right then. We can go a few days early since our son lives in that area. As soon as they release the next set of dates, I hope I can luck out on the return fare as well.

Archived