Huge jump from last year!

jess*lynn

So is it just me or are there huge differences in airfare?!?!

This past January we paid $1000 for flights from ACY-TPA-SJU and back for 3 people and now we are searching for January 2013 and we are coming up at $1000 for just the two of us.

I know that prices will always go up, but seriously? I've even tried expanding our search to PHL, EWR, JFK etc but still pricy.

Anyone have any tips?

Anyone have any tips?

Look for flights from all airports.

Look for flights on days other than cruise departure and return (move a day out).

Realize that lift in/out of SJU is limited and not likely to increase.

Accept that airline pricing is up. And will likely remain up.

So is it just me or are there huge differences in airfare?!?!

This past January we paid $1000 for flights from ACY-TPA-SJU and back for 3 people and now we are searching for January 2013 and we are coming up at $1000 for just the two of us.

I know that prices will always go up, but seriously? I've even tried expanding our search to PHL, EWR, JFK etc but still pricy.

Anyone have any tips?

Yes, they are up across the board. We also enjoy flying out of Atlantic City and was hoping to use my Spirit points to book flights to San Juan on our upcoming cruise in November. When the airfare as posted, I'd have to pay $800 per person, plus luggage fees. FORGET THAT!

I then went to Kayak and set up an alert for flights from EWR and PHL and we ended up with US Airways out of Philadelphia, nonstop, for a little over $550, and that was because I was monitoring flights on Kayak for a month and jumped when the prices on the return flight went down in price. I still haven't booked the outbound, not sure if we want to fly in on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. As of right now, all flights on all 3 days are the same price so I have time to decide which day to fly down.

One big difference this year is that the airlines are now required to post prices with all taxes and fees (except baggage) included. Last October my wife & I flew from Seattle to Orlando for our niece's wedding and the tickets were $239, exclusive of taxes and fees. We're cruising this October and the best price so far, is $345, but this price includes $42 in taxes and fees. So direct apples to apples comparison with last year's price is $239 vs $302.

Also http://www.bing.com has a price predictor that suggests the price will come down and to hold off purchasing tickets.

One big difference this year is that the airlines are now required to post prices with all taxes and fees (except baggage) included. Last October my wife & I flew from Seattle to Orlando for our niece's wedding and the tickets were $239, exclusive of taxes and fees. We're cruising this October and the best price so far, is $345, but this price includes $42 in taxes and fees. So direct apples to apples comparison with last year's price is $239 vs $302.

Also www.bing.com has a price predictor that suggests the price will come down and to hold off purchasing tickets.

Fuel costs are up. On some routes, competition is down. Bing can predict? Based on past trends, or do they input fuel costs going up or down, likely passenger loads, etc.? If you hold off and prices go up it's still your responsibility, right?

Archived