Quality Vs. Quantity

m steve

I am constantly amazed at the comments regarding food. There is so much to select on any cruise ship's menu that there seems no reason to order more than you would normally eat. I wouldn't go into a restaurant and order more that 1 entree, starter or desert. Just because they will serve it doesn't mean you have to order it.

Like any good restaurant, if something you order didn't please you, they will replace it. On ships there are so many venues for food that you really need self control and be selective. I still limit myself to 3 meals a day and a few hors' d before dinner. I have never ordered multiples except a double shrimp cocktail once. Never go to midnight buffets. I will sometimes order several starters in lieu of a main course. I have to watch because I'm 230 to start with and don't want to buy new clothes after a cruise.

If I am picky about the food, I have a reason. I might order a 3 lb lobster at a good steak house on shore but wouldn't order a dozen lobster tails because I don't think they taste good.

I figure half the cost of the cruise is the food. I don't see a reason to try to break the bank on the ship.

So much for my philosophy on cruise food.:eek:

The men I cruised with the first time all did Surf & Turf every night in the dining room, with one seafood and one other entree. They sometimes did multiple appetizers and hit the pizza station at 11pm.

They also:

Went to the gym every morning,

Never used the elevator,

Took strenuous excursions.

Looked as fantastic at the end as at the beginning.

Us ladies didn't practice self control as much as didn't have room. :)

To each his own. But for one cruise a year, why not.

And remember: The more you dance, the less weight you'll gain. Win win situation. :D

I couldn't care less if someone orders more than one entree. Of course you would'nt do this in a land restaurant because you would pay double. In other words, when it comes to cruises (or buffets, or all-inclusives, etc) THIS IS THE TIME TO DO IT. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a glutton, it means you're using your noggin. If you genuinely can't decide between two entrees, or always wanted to try something but didn't order it because you were apprehensive about the taste, etc., I don't see anything wrong with taking advantage of this privelege during a cruise.

From a European point of view I find it strange, too, if somebody orders multiple servings of the same item, eg. three lobster tails.

On the other hand, in some countries here four course meals are standard, when we go to an upscale restaurant five courses are normal and for special occasions this easily goes up to seven or more. And it is easy to spent 2 1/2, 3 or more hours for dinner.

So people who enjoy cruising and dinning might take the chance of a couple of nights with great dinning experiences.

Archived