Adriatic Cruise - Port or Starboard?

dcinmb

We're trying to decide whether to go port or starboard on our upcoming Adriatic cruise on the Silhouette. Our ports of call:

- Venice

- Koper

- Ravenna

- Split

- Dubrovnik

- Kotor

- Valletta

- Catania

- Naples

- Rome

I'm thinking port may be better but would appreciate any advice from people who've done this itinerary before.

Thanks!

Diana

We did a similar itinerary on the Voyager so I can answer at least some of your questions. We were starboard. In Venice we were up on the deck since you want the full panorama for sailaway. In Koper we sat on our balcony and watched the dock workers as we had a great view of the containers. It was interesting. Ravenna, it doesn't matter what side you're on since there's not much to see. The port is well outside town and it's a beach and that's pretty well it. Rome's port is Civitavecchia, which is a beachside town. I don't think it really matters which side you're on there, either.

Hi,

I did this itinerary (apart from Kopor) on the Silhouette a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it'll make a lot of difference to you. As mentioned you'll want to be up on Deck for Venice I think, although I did take a few Starboard snaps from our cabin on our sail back in. This faced San Marco.

Ravenna - nothing to see as you're out of town

Split - It's a tender so you'll see about the same either side.

Dubrovnik - Starboard faced the dock, not much to see.

Kotor - This IS a spectacular sail in, but the green sides of the valley are very close both sides of the ship, so you'll get a similar view. I liked the sail out more, as I was up on deck and it's good to get the whole view.

Malta - Starboard side faced the dock, but there's not a lot to see from here. The sail in was lovely as you enter the port, but the views both sides are lovely so can't think you'd be missing out. I was up in the Oceanview cafe watching.

Catania - Starboard faced the dock for us, not that exciting.

Naples - Quite an industrial port, not a lot to see.

Rome - Again you're coming into a port in a small town, so no great views either side.

It helps that you always have the sail out to catch up on any views, especially if you were still in bed when you arrived! :D I picked starboard because I worry about smoke floating up from the area on deck 5.

Denise

Thank you for your responses, Denise and dln929! We're port side now so it sounds like we'll be okay staying put. I'm also concerned about smoke wafting up from Deck 5 but from what I can tell, it seems that the problem area is concentrated around the aft end of the hump? We're pretty far forward of the hump so I'm hoping we'll be smoke-free.

I'm definitely planning to be up on deck during the sail-ins to Kotor and Valletta. The trick will be figuring out what time I have to be up there as I imagine the ship often arrives ahead of schedule?

Thanks again!

Diana

Diana, we're in Kotor in less than 3 weeks so I've been reading up. I remember someone saying to be up on deck two hours in advance of docking so as not to miss all the spectacular scenery.

Archived