Museo Capidomonte and Pallazzo Reale

24butterfly

Ok---anyone go to either of these and what's your opinion?

Still putting together options for 2nd day in Naples.......

It's either Capidomonte (I know I have to take a taxi) or

Palazzo Reale

Opera House

Capella Sansevero

We're arriving by ship.....

The Capidomonte is an excellent art museum and may be the least crowded one (among the majors) that I've been to in Europe.

The Palazzo Reale is interesting too, in its own way. It pales by comparison to the palace at Caserta but it's worthwhile (and very close to the cruise port). A half day will cover the territory here.

I've yet to manage the opera house tour, but not for lack of trying. If there is a performance that evening they sometimes just cancel the tour, with no prior notice.

Capella Sansevero is all about the Sanmartino sculptures, Cristo Velato (Veiled Christ), Pudicizia (Modesty), and Disinganno (Disillusion). You really have to see them to believe them.

Have you already been to the Certosa di San Martino? It's also well worth a visit.

The Capidomonte is an excellent art museum and may be the least crowded one (among the majors) that I've been to in Europe.

The Palazzo Reale is interesting too, in its own way. It pales by comparison to the palace at Caserta but it's worthwhile (and very close to the cruise port). A half day will cover the territory here.

I've yet to manage the opera house tour, but not for lack of trying. If there is a performance that evening they sometimes just cancel the tour, with no prior notice.

Capella Sansevero is all about the Sanmartino sculptures, Cristo Velato (Veiled Christ), Pudicizia (Modesty), and Disinganno (Disillusion). You really have to see them to believe them.

Have you already been to the Certosa di San Martino? It's also well worth a visit.

No, re: the Certosa....I'm trying to figure out which option to do.....If we do the 2nd option, we may be too "arted out" for the Certosa....It will be our last day on the cruise... :( Thanks for the response.....

Unless you are a huge fan of art museums and, in the case of Capidomonte a big fan of Neopolitan art from the 15 - 19th centuries, I think I'd substitute the Certosa for the art museum. It's a great art museum, but Italy has such an embarrassment of art riches everywhere you turn that it's almost not necessary to go to a specific museum for it.

We took the tour of the opera last Oct and really liked it. The guide was a beautiful young Italian girl and the tour commentary was delivered like lines from a play, unfortunatley an Italian play, but beautifully delivered. She must have been a performer from the opera. We got to see the theatre, backstage,rehearsal hall, costume making area,and refreshment area where we all got to have coffee and cakes. We even got to visit the private box of royalty in the upper levels.

I am sure that there are english tours but not as frequent as in italian. I have a working knowledge of Italian but I am not fluent yet still could follow the tour thanks to the dramatic manner in which it was presented.

After the tour a visit to the Musuem of opera in Pallazo Reale was included in the 12euro admission fee.

Sorry I also wanted to say that the views from Castel St Elmo/certosa di san martino are outstanding, only surpassed by the views on top of Etna and well worth the ride up the funicular.

Thanks--will try to fit this in as well.....

Sorry I also wanted to say that the views from Castel St Elmo/certosa di san martino are outstanding, only surpassed by the views on top of Etna and well worth the ride up the funicular.

I meant to say wiew from vesuvio of the bay of naples

Archived