hotels within walking distance of Tampa cruise ship terminals?

anastasia3939

I'm just wondering if there are any hotels within walking distance of the cruise ship terminals in Tampa? When I look at a map I see that Tampa Mariott Waterside Hotel, Embassy Suites, Hyatt and the Sheraton are within 1 mile of the port....but how realistic would it be to walk? I don't mean fitness wise....we are very fit and athletic...I mean traffic wise. I can't tell that by looking at the map! Any responses are greatly appreciated!

I think they are a decent walk without luggage, but I wouldn't want to drag suitcases that far (as much for the damage to the wheels as anything else). The area is set up for lots of foot traffic, what with the NHL arena right in the middle of it. The Embassy Suites and Marriott Waterside are just a little over half a mile to the port.

If you have Google Earth, or just use google maps online, you can go down to the street view and see what the area actually looks like without just going by the aerial views or regular maps.

We stayed at the Sheraton and they shuttled us for free from there. They also would shuttle us within a certain radius (2 mile?) so we could go to dinner in Ybor City and to Publix for a bottle of wine. It was very convenient and the hotel was nice.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites when we were there. On the way to the ship we took a taxi but when we got off we walked back to the hotel. VERY EASY walk even with luggage. Because it was early morning there was hardly any traffic...I think we only had to cross 2 side streets and the entrance to the CCL terminal to get back and the walk took no more than 15 mins.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

If you want to be within walking distance, I'd say the Marriott Waterside & Embassy Suites (Downtown/Convention Center) are your two best bets. They right next to each other, roughly 1/2 mile from the terminal used by Carnival (a bit further to the terminal used by the other cruiselines - maybe 3/4 mile). No traffic issues on the walk. You'd be walking down Channelside, which is more of a "main road"; there are a couple of side streets, but they have stoplights & crosswalks.

Alternatively (preferrably, to me), you could exit the hotel & walk most of the way along the Riverwalk - a paved path (walking/biking/rollerblading, etc) that follows the river from the hotels & ends shortly before you get to the port area. It's much more scenic than walking along the sidewalk by the road, it's typically a little cooler (shade, breeze, less pavement radiating heat), and you don't have to suck in automobile exhaust. It might add a couple hundred yards to your walk, but it's a much nicer walk.

Only issues I could see would be:

*carrying luggage if you have a lot

*it's liable to be very hot & you'll be a sweaty mess by the time you get to the port.

We stayed at Marriott Waterside before our cruise last week. We walked over the morning of our cruise (Saturday) and it was quite easy. We had two rolling suitcases, one with a carseat sitting on top strapped to the handle. We also had our kids -- 3, 5 and 7. No problems walking over. We did the river walk until it ended then moved to the sidewalk. We were lucky that it was a little overcast at the time we walked so we did not have the sun beating down on us.

Thanks for letting me know all the info about walking to the port from the Embassy Suites or the Marriott Waterside.

We are more fortunate than you in the fact that we will be arriving in November... it will be much cooler by then.

Also, can we catch the trolley close to the those hotels? We wanted to explore some of Tampa since this is our first visit to the city.

Thanks so much!:)

I lived in Tampa for 5 years, and moved up to Va beach about a year ago. I used to drive by the Port facility every single day to work.

Embassy Suites Channelside is the closest hotel to the port. About a 10 minute straight line walk from the Hotel to the Port.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/embassy-suites-tampa-downtown-convention-center-TPAESES/maps-directions/index.html\

The Tampa Trolley runs from just outside the Embassy Suites Hotel lobby and stops right in front of the Port entrance. A ONE-WAY Ticket is $2.50 per person to the Port.

http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/

(Trolley runs Mon-Thurs Noon-10PM and Fri-Sat 11AM-2AM and Sun Noon-8PM)

Just an FYI....the Republican National Convention is taking place right in Tampa August 27-30.

If you haven't already made reservations...chances are probably very slim you'll find anything available in downtown.

Just an FYI....the Republican National Convention is taking place right in Tampa August 27-30.

If you haven't already made reservations...chances are probably very slim you'll find anything available in downtown.

Oh man, I hadn't noticed the date they are sailing. Yikes, that may complicate things.

Archived