Opinions of the Jewel?

My first cruise on Royal Caribbean was the Explorer, my second the Jewel.

I very much preferred the Jewel. I like the smaller size, the more intimate feel, the incredibly friendly staff, and all the glass for views of the sea.

I sailed her again for a transatlantic repositioning, and will be on her again in October of this year. Also sailed on her sister Serenade, to Alaska, and it was amazing (managed to score JS 1100 and then upgrade to GS 1600 for that one - corner aft, great place for glacier viewing!)

The Jewel and her sister ship, the Radiance, are our favorite ships. It is gorgeous. For us, it is the perfect size, not too big and not too small. My favorite cabin is junior suite 1100 which we were fortunate to have once.

Love all the glass, especially the glass elevators that look out to the sea. And it just seems like there isn't that many people on board. So many good viewing spots. And like the other ships, it has the solarium, and Chops Grille, my two favorite spots on the ship.

We'll be on the Jewel again in October for the New England/Canada cruise. Can't wait. Have fun planning your cruise.

We're coming, too! Wondering about the Solarium. On the Rhapsody, our only RCCL cruise, we explored the ship the first day. I loved the Solarium, and looked forward to it being my haven all week. That was the first day. On the second day, they filled the pool, and I was driven out by the chlorine fumes. It was so bad I could not even walk past the open door all week without a coughing fit: I had to detour. Is Jewel likely to be like that? Shall I even get my hopes up?

The Jewel is a beautiful ship, period. Don't forget to check out one of the nicest areas on a ship to read a book or just watch the wake on a sea day, all the way back along the windows of the Safari Club on deck 6.

We're coming, too! Wondering about the Solarium. On the Rhapsody, our only RCCL cruise, we explored the ship the first day. I loved the Solarium, and looked forward to it being my haven all week. That was the first day. On the second day, they filled the pool, and I was driven out by the chlorine fumes. It was so bad I could not even walk past the open door all week without a coughing fit: I had to detour. Is Jewel likely to be like that? Shall I even get my hopes up?

I'm not a fan of heavily chlorinated pools either but have never experienced that problem on Jewel and we cruise on her frequently. When I am in a hotel which has an inside pool, I could probably find the pool blindfolded because of the smell of the chlorine.

Jewel has salt water pools so the use of chlorine should be minimal and not a problem for you.

I'm not a fan of heavily chlorinated pools either but have never experienced that problem on Jewel and we cruise on her frequently. When I am in a hotel which has an inside pool, I could probably find the pool blindfolded because of the smell of the chlorine.

Jewel has salt water pools so the use of chlorine should be minimal and not a problem for you.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. I'll pack my swimsuit after all.

The only RC ship I've been on is the Majesty so I think/know the Jewel is bigger but what is everyones opinion on it?

Think I'm booking a cruise for my mom's birthday for Sept. 2013. I'm not gonna tell her about it though until around Christmas.

Just want to hear from people who've been on the Jewel.

Thanks!

The Jewel was the first ship my wife and I sailed on after getting married. We have so many fond memories of it. She's a beautiful ship with tons of great art. I wouldn't hesitate to go back arboard if she was on a good itenerary for us.

The Jewel was the first ship my wife and I sailed on after getting married. We have so many fond memories of it. She's a beautiful ship with tons of great art. I wouldn't hesitate to go back arboard if she was on a good itenerary for us.

Check out her itineraries in the summer of 2013 when she leaves Tampa for San Juan and Southern Caribbean cruises.:)

For those who recently sailed the Jewel, we are booked for May 2013 - Is there an area where to get coffee (free) - my husband likes his coffee and on the Oasis, and Allure, there is that terrific coffee area on the promenade where you can get coffee and snacks anytime of day. Is there something as such on the Jewel:).

Thank you

Jewel is our very favorite RCI ship. Next year however, her place will be taken by the Brilliance of the Seas which will have been totally 'revitalized' by this time next year. From year to year they may make some minor adjustments to the itinerary but next year;s itinerary will be very similar to what the Jewel will be doing this year from Boston - 15 days with stops in St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, Aruba and Curaçao and ending in Tampa, where she will spend the winter months. There are a very large number of cruisers who do this every year and we have a very active thread for both the 2012 and 2013 repositioning cruises. Check them out and join us.:)

The repositioning cruise includes a fantastic Halloween celebration and the ship is beautifully decorated for the occasion.

Jewel of the Seas is awesome we took a cruise on her this year Brilliance when she comes to Tampa is going to also get some of our business. You can't go wrong on a radiance class as great as Jewel is.

Helsinki, I just took the shuttle bus into town and the the hoho us. After that I just strolled about. Gothenburg, I took a ships tour. If I'm honest, there's not much in Gothenburg really, but it was nice to see it. After the tour I wandered down the main shopping street and caught the shuttle back. The Volvo museum was next to where we docked, but I was 10SKR short, so I didn't visit.

http://www.mickberry.co.uk/cruise12.htm

For those who recently sailed the Jewel, we are booked for May 2013 - Is there an area where to get coffee (free) - my husband likes his coffee and on the Oasis, and Allure, there is that terrific coffee area on the promenade where you can get coffee and snacks anytime of day. Is there something as such on the Jewel:).

Thank you

There is a charge for coffees at Cafe Lattetudes on Jewel, but there are coffee machines in Windjammer and just outside it on Deck 11 where you can get free coffee beginning around 6 am. If you are Diamond Plus, Pinnacle, or have booked a suite, coffee (including cappuccino and espresso) is available for free 24/7 in the Concierge Lounge on Deck 10. If all else fails room service will provide coffee although after midnight and until around 5am there is a surcharge for room service orders.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked Jewel for March '13 out of Tampa. The only other RCI cruise we've been on is Explorer of the Seas (years ago, before we had kids), so I think there'll be a bit of that "apples to oranges" comparison going on. Nonethless I am really excited for this trip - and we got a Jr Suite for a really good deal.

My only slight worry is making sure there's enough for our boys to do, who will be ages 7 and 9. We were on DCL in 2010, which of course had plenty for the kiddos, so I hope we'll be OK on Jewel. But most reviews seem to indicate that we should have plenty to do. Can't wait! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am thinking about booking the Jewel repositioning cruise. I have never sailed on RCI. What are the differences from NCL and CCL?

Is there a dining room open at embarkation or does everyone have to go to the buffet?

Are there formal nights?

TIA

We have been on Radiance Class many times and am SO looking forward to the repo cruise next year. In fact, we are going a B2B. First time out of Tampa, decided to do the repo when we saw the itin out to Tampa and then the second week out to San Juan. We loved Seradade, so cannot imagine that we will not love Jewel just as much

It's interesting to note that some feel that the Radiance Class is not to their liking, and that they preferred a promanade to the feel of having the sea all around them.

Royal Caribbean has done an excellent job IMHO, of building ships for everyone. For some, the Radiance class is too small. For us, the Radiance Class is our favorite, and the Jewel of the Seas is not only the best of the class, but by far, our favorite ship in the entire fleet!!

It's because we feel the sea beneath us, see it around us, and to me, that is what cruising is all about.:) And I need to mention that the crew always seems a notch above, very friendly, and attentive to needs.

And we shall be on her in less than 30 days, for another TA. This one is in the North Atlantic, so we could rock and roll a bit, which for some is not fun, but for me, the Jewel handles heavy seas better than a Voyager Class ship, and I have been in 30 foot swells in both, and just like the feel of this ship better.:D

Yep......the Jewel is the BEST!!;)

Love the "radiance" class -- but also really like/love the 'vision' class. While they don't have the elevators overlooking the sea, they too are a wall of glass. Have been on the Serenade (twice) and the Jewel (once, but soon to repeat) and really do love them. Have done OASIS (and will repeat her) and the Liberty, but can say the Serenade/Jewel and the Grandeur are my fav!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the great reviews, I am so excited to go on this ship in January! I sailed on the Enchantment last year and it sounds similar, yet different which I am excited about:)

Hey michele5166, DW and I just booked this cruise today with our TA. After reading about the Jewel, we too are excited about the ship. I'll come over later and sign in to the roll call.

Jewel is a fine ship and the Canada/New England Cruise we had aboard her is one of my personal favorites. Someone above said something to the effect that she recognized Jewel is bigger than Majesty, her previous cruise experience. Indeed the vessel is bigger in terms of tonnage, but the Radiance class actually has a lower passenger load than the Sovereign class, so there is more space. Having said that, I also loved my cruises on Monarch and never felt crowded aboard her either.

Having said the above, I have to add that by far the worst service I have ever experienced was aboard Jewel. It remains our only RCI cruise where I would rate the service as sub par overall. Maybe take that with a grain of salt because the issues were mostly with our specific wait staff and certain servers so others, even on our cruise, may have had a totally different experience. Also, staff rotate so you may not encounter the same people anyway. And we did make our voices heard so our complaints may have had some impact -- who knows, anything is possible.

The bottom line for me is Jewel is a fine ship, the condition was great and our cabin was comfortable. But I think RCI's entire fleet are fine ships -- at least the ones I have had the pleasure to be aboard. I still don't pick cruises because of the ship.

• 1 month later...
Does the Jewel have a concierge lounge and where is it located....thanks..do they ever move it when there is a large crowd?

Jewel's CL is currently located on deck 10, port side of the centrum. If they need an overflow, they typically use Hollywood Odyssey up in the Viking Crown.

Does the Jewel have a concierge lounge and where is it located....thanks..do they ever move it when there is a large crowd?

As mentioned when there is an abundance of Diamond Plus and Suite guests onboard, as recently happened on the Transatlantic and is likely to occur on the upcoming repositioning cruise from Boston to Tampa, the Hollywood Odyssey is used as a satellite concierge lounge. When that occurs, guests have the option of going to either the CL or the Hollywood Odyssey for evening cocktails. The nightly Diamond event is then held in the Viking Crown lounge.

Radiance class, and especially the Jewel, is our favorite class of ship in the RCI fleet. The most promising thing I have read about the super-secret Sunshine project ships is that they are supposed going to be larger versions of the Radiance class.

Archived