International Carry On Luggage Restrictions

Diva Onboard

Has anyone encounted any problems with carry on luggage weight restrictions? We are flying internationally from Chicago to Heathrow on American and they don't really seem to address the weight of luggage for carry on, only the size dimensions.

Elaine

Has anyone encounted any problems with carry on luggage weight restrictions? We are flying internationally from Chicago to Heathrow on American and they don't really seem to address the weight of luggage for carry on, only the size dimensions.

Elaine

Elaine

It all depends on the airline. BA actually state on their website that the weight limit for carry-on bags is 23kg. It is a long time since we flew with Virgin [the experience was so bad] but their [unpublished at the time] weight limit was 5kg [about the weight of our carry-on bags at the time when empty]. All the airlines I have checked recently do give the weight limit as well as diamension on their website.

We flew with American in December last year and they have the same weight limit as BA [a partner airline of American] i.e. 23kg. I did find it somewhere on their website. However, we flew on the day they announced that they were going into bankruptcy protection and I know somethings have changed since then. It is possible that the weight limit did as well.

Sue

PS I have just checked and you are correct, while BA still states 23kg, American no longer gives no weight limit for carry-on luggage. I would assume that they have no weight limit as it would be difficult to get more than 23kg in a bag of the size allowed.

Elaine

Never had any issues with weight on AA for hand luggage. Same with BA.

Hi,

My husband flies from the U.K. to the states regularly with AA/BA and takes a roll on which matchs their size regs plus a laptop case which is alwys heavy with electrical equipment, etc. and has never had a problem. His winter over coat is another heavy item which he carries routinely. I don't think you will have any problems.

Although BA have a generous carry on weight limit, they also insist that the passenger must be capable if lifting the bag unassisted into the overhead compartment.

Not a problem for me, but time to start pumping iron if you pack heavy :)

What I experienced was that the carry on rules don't seem as strict, or as enforced when flying from a US airport to Europe, but flying out of a European airport back to the US the rules were much more strict and really enforced. Found this to be the case when flying out of O'Hare to Heathrow, and the reverse.

Unfortunately, luggage restrictions change almost daily. Just yesterday United indicated the second bag charge for interational flights would be $100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_luggage has some generic information but as a rule, the carry on limit is 5 to 12 kgs. Each airline is different and the low cost airlines has the least allowable weight.

Kitty9 is quite correct, US to Europe enforcement is hit or miss but European enforcement seems strict and can catch you off guard, requiring you to check in the luggage from the gate and, pay the $100 if it is your second bag.

What I experienced was that the carry on rules don't seem as strict, or as enforced when flying from a US airport to Europe, but flying out of a European airport back to the US the rules were much more strict and really enforced. Found this to be the case when flying out of O'Hare to Heathrow, and the reverse.

At Newark airport on Virgin Atlantic they weighed my carry on. And it was a backpack not a rollerbag. I had to take a couple of things out and put them in my checked bag. I don't recall what the weight limit was.

Thanks for all your responses.

I am inclined to agree with pete_coach because a friend just returned to the US from Southampton. She was faced with the same problem regarding her 'carry-on' piece of luggage. They told her 8 kgs and she was frantically removing things to be able to carry her 21" piece of luggage onboard. That's why I posted this because I was surprised by her experience and thought she was so flustered that she misunderstood the number of kgs.

I know that the general restrictions for a larger checked bag are between 48 and 50 pounds - with 50 pounds being the maximum. But as I mentioned, I searched American Airlines' website and although they provide every detail about baggage dimensions, and the 50" weight limit, nowhere that I could find do they indicate the weight limit for a 'carry-on' 21" piece of luggage.

I'll keep searching - everyone keep posting, and maybe we'll find the answer.

Carry on luggage is a hugh pain because no one goes by the rules and they are not enforced at the gate. We just got back from Seattle and by the time they got to our section of boarding the plane there was no overhead luggage space left and close to 40 people had to gate check their bag but they did not charge us.

We were returning home so I did not care but some people were upset because they said they were afraid they would lose their luggage.

Pretty soon they are going to make everyone start checking everything and then at least boarding the plane will not be such a hugh hassle.

It is a very slow process and people are so rude they just stand in the isle.

Very annoying.

Elaine

Check the AA website, but as long as your carry on is reasonable size I don't think you should have any problem. In all our years of travel we never had a carry on weighed until last Fall. Flying from Barcelona to Zurich on Swiss Air our carry on was not weighed, but on the connecting flight to Boston my European airline approved Tumi bag was gate checked because it did not meet the 13 pound weight limit. It weighed 16 pounds. We're on Virgin Atlantic next month to London and they have a 13 pound carry on weight limit and you can be sure my bag will meet that restriction. I am finding that European airlines are really enforcing the carry on policy more so that US carriers, but that I'm sure will change.

I use a lesportsac large weekender bag as my carryon now because 2 years ago I got so annoyed at the carryon weight restriction. My bag empty was about 3lbs less than the restriction. What the heck? Why do they allow bags to be sold that are so heavy these days? I know it doesn't have to be for flying but, come on.

So my lesportsac is like 1 or 2lbs. It's never been weighed (and god help me if it ever is because I'm sure it pushes 18-20 full lol.

One thing to keep in mind though if you're doing connections with multiple airlines is your bound by the rules of I believe the 1st airline? maybe someone can help. I guess since when you connect you don't always go through security again or whatever.

I wish I could get by with less stuff, but so far, I'm bad at packing minimally. All the electronics alone take up a ton of space and you can't trust those packed in the checked bag....sadly.

Check the AA website, but as long as your carry on is reasonable size I don't think you should have any problem. In all our years of travel we never had a carry on weighed until last Fall. Flying from Barcelona to Zurich on Swiss Air our carry on was not weighed, but on the connecting flight to Boston my European airline approved Tumi bag was gate checked because it did not meet the 13 pound weight limit. It weighed 16 pounds. We're on Virgin Atlantic next month to London and they have a 13 pound carry on weight limit and you can be sure my bag will meet that restriction. I am finding that European airlines are really enforcing the carry on policy more so that US carriers, but that I'm sure will change.

My laptop and cameras weigh more than 13 pounds.

Last time I encountered weigh ins was at Milan. I was elite so didn't apply to me (checkin just tagged my carryon without weighing bag), but guy next to me was over limit and having major issues.

What I found stupid ( might be different now??) was they weighed carryon at checkin and then attached the "ok" bag tag. You could put any amount of weight into bag after that and it wouldn't be checked for weight again. So basically you could weigh an empty(ish) carry on bag, get "ok" sticker, then fill up bag with any amount of weight you want to lug onto plane.

I never had a problem on a US based airline, but once I had a connection on Atalia and was forced to check my carry-on because it was overweight and I was already at the limit with my checked bag. It was a painful thing to have to pay that overage in euros, but I was ready to come home and I wasn't going to leave my goodies behind.

I'm prepared now to stay within my limits no matter what.

Archived