Celebrity Reflection Inaugural Cruise! - October 12, 2012

TxnAquarian

Anyone else going on this great trip?? My partner (36) and I (35) will be onboard, along with 2 friends we met on the Celebrity Equinox last year. Curious to see what kind of turn out we'll have and what plans everyone has for the ports!

Michael

Anyone have any info on airport shuttle to Hotel Pulitzer?

We are staying at Hotel Pulitzer, too, but we hired a car. I don't know about the shuttle. The best bet is to contact the hotel and inquire or go the "Europe" boards on here and see what others suggest.

Great to see you'll be on this cruise with us!

Michael

Hi Marie,

We will be doing all our own touring on this trip. We're not a fan of the ship-organized excursions.

We will be taking the train from Le Havre into Paris.

Taking the train or hiring a car from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela

Taking the train or hiring a car from Malaga to Granada

The other ports we will just wander around.

What are your plans?

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all! We're friends of TxnAquarian - met on the Celebrity Equinox eastern med cruise last June. Me (John - 30) and my partner Kevin (31) are booked and very excited.

Also, SeaHorse... as you can probably tell from my name we're from DC.

As for excursions, we're doing most on our own - except for Le Havre. We were just in Paris in October, so we're going to be doing the Celebrity "D-Day Beaches and Bayeux Tapestry" tour. As for Belgium, we plan to DIY Brugges. In Gijon we're also DIYing the town as a relax day (as far as I know, there's not a whole lot that goes on there...). For Vigo, we're planning a trip to Santiago de Campostela with TxnAquarian and his partner. Same for Malaga - but researching Granada and the Alhambra.

We'll be flying to Munich for a few nights (to catch the last few days of Oktoberfest), then headed to Amsterdam for a few nights (our hotel is only a few blocks from the Pulitzer). Post-cruise we'll be staying a few nights in Barcelona off la Rambla. REALLY looking forward to these cities.

Hi, DCJOHN et al

Mark and I are doing 3 nights Amsterdam and 3 nights Barcelona around the cruise. Very much looking forward to this trip given it's our first european cruise (third cruise overall, so we are newbies), and my first time in Amsterdam (staying Hotel De'L Europa). In Barcelona Mark got us a place in La Rambla also (?).

Excursion wise, we signed up for Gent & Bruges. At Le Havre, we opted for Giverny & Roen. We both do a lot of photography - these will be more "photo" excursions.

In Vigo, it's Santiago de Compostela.

Marbella we will be doing the port and wandering through the shops (Hoping for big sales in Spain given that the whole country is on discount).

We are traveling with my parents who (luckily) are quite independent. I think we are doing some of the excursions with them.

@DCJOHN, I lived on 17th and P in DC for many years. Very fond memories of the neighborhood.

Jorge

Hi, DCJOHN et al

Mark and I are doing 3 nights Amsterdam and 3 nights Barcelona around the cruise. Very much looking forward to this trip given it's our first european cruise (third cruise overall, so we are newbies), and my first time in Amsterdam (staying Hotel De'L Europa). In Barcelona Mark got us a place in La Rambla also (?).

Excursion wise, we signed up for Gent & Bruges. At Le Havre, we opted for Giverny & Roen. We both do a lot of photography - these will be more "photo" excursions.

In Vigo, it's Santiago de Compostela.

Marbella we will be doing the port and wandering through the shops (Hoping for big sales in Spain given that the whole country is on discount).

We are traveling with my parents who (luckily) are quite independent. I think we are doing some of the excursions with them.

@DCJOHN, I lived on 17th and P in DC for many years. Very fond memories of the neighborhood.

Jorge

Which hotel are you staying at? We are at Hotel Curious - is considered one of the best hotels (and super cheap!) in the city. Small, but nice.

Ah, yes 17th and P - the heart of the 'hood! Very nice. We're in Capitol Hill. How long have you been away from DC? It's changed in many ways over the last dozen or so years...

Good Morning John,

I lived in DC from 1998 through 2003. The Whole Foods near 14th Street had recently opened by 2003. I was last in DC February. At Kramer Books I got 2 two dollar bills back in change for a purchase. Love DC.

From Ft Lauderdale we fly to Amsterdam for 3 nights at the Hotel De'L Europe. I don't recall why we picked that hotel. Probably pretty pictures. I know we got a good rate at the time.

In Barcelona we have 3 nights booked at Le Meridian. Mom recommended this hotel, so it is probably in a safe neighborhood. The Hotel Curious is a couple of blocks nearby by google map.

Looking forward to Europe. Alway refreshing to get away to reset. The change in climate will be welcome after this summer's heat.

Jorge

Good Morning John,

I lived in DC from 1998 through 2003. The Whole Foods near 14th Street had recently opened by 2003. I was last in DC February. At Kramer Books I got 2 two dollar bills back in change for a purchase. Love DC.

In Barcelona we have 3 nights booked at Le Meridian. Mom recommended this hotel, so it is probably in a safe neighborhood. The Hotel Curious is a couple of blocks nearby by google map.

Looking forward to Europe. Alway refreshing to get away to reset. The change in climate will be welcome after this summer's heat.

Yes, we're right around the corner from Le Meridien - read great reviews on TripAdvisor regarding the location... safe, convenient, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this back to the top! Here are the excursions we've got planned thus far...

Brugge - doing this on our own

Le Havre - doing the Celebrity excursion to the D-Day beaches of Normandy and the Bayeux Tapestry

Gijon - relaxing on our own in the city

Vigo - Santiago de Campostela (with TxnAquarian)

Malaga - Alhambra Palace and Granada (with TxnAquarian and group from the regular Roll Call)

Has anyone planned their trips for Vigo yet? We're still in the process of figuring things out with TxnAquarian and his partner.

Hi all,

My partner and I along with 6 friends with be joining the Reflection in Amsterdam. We’re from the foothills outside of Denver, CO – one other (female) couple from our area, a (male) couple from the Triad area in North Carolina and a (male) couple from the Tampa Florida area.

We’re planning Mont St. Michel at Le Havre and Alhambra Palace at Malaga. The rest of the ports will probably be DIY, possibly the Bruges Brewery from Zeebrugge. Then from Barcelona we’re taking the train to Madrid for a few nights before flying home via London.

DCJohn, I’m envious of your “diversion” to Octoberfest – we’ll want to hear all about that! :)

Has everyone signed up for the Cruise Critic “connections” party?

Randy

Hi Randy!!

Glad to see you all will be onboard. The actual roll call for the cruise has been pretty slow. Mont St Michel is amazing, if you haven't been before. You'll love it!

My partner (who is from Colorado Springs) and I will be sailing with DCJohn and his partner. We all met on the Equinox last year and decided to do this trip together. We're looking forward to a great time.

We haven't signed up for the Cruise Critic "connections" party. Guess I'd better get on that =)

Michael

Hi Michael,

Mont St. Michel is a "must do" for my partner - so that was high on the excursion priorities. John mentioned that you guys are doing an excursion to Alhambra Palace with the group from the Roll Call? I assume this is a private excursion that you or someone else is organizing? If there’s still room left, we would be interested in the details and might join you.

I tried your yahoo email, but it bounced. Respond directly to mine at KingsValley80433@yahoo.com if you'd like.

Randy

Exactly 2 months to go until we touch down in Munich and begin this fantastic trip.

MileHigh - I'm envious of your trip to Mt. St. Michel. We booked the D-Day beaches and Bayeux tapestry a long time ago and I'm not quite sure why we didn't to the abbey. I'm a bit of a European history buff - so I'm thinking the Bayeux Tapestry is going to be amazing for me... and my partner Kevin was interested in the D-Day beaches, so that probably determined our plans.

As for Munich - believe it or not, we didn't even realize we'd even be there for Oktoberfest until after we booked the hotel (seems like such a long time ago), but we'll indeed catch the final 2 days and are really excited. We'll let you know how it goes! We are also planning excursions to Neuschwanstein Castle (the castle in the Alps that inspired Disney's at Magic Kingdom), Nymphenburg Castle and Dachau.

TxnAquarian and I are joining folks from the general Roll Call for the excursion to Alhambra and Granada. When we began researching, we realized they had done a lot of the legwork already and had negotiated a cheaper price (since they've got a big group going). But I've been assured not to worry about a big group... apparently the tour company has promised to split us up into a few small groups to make the tour more manageable. We may also get an additional price break if more join, so if you're looking to save cash, I'd consider booking with them. I believe TxnAquarian sent you the email contact from the other Roll Call to arrange that.

I'm happy this Roll Call has been so active. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Cruise Connections Party!

Hi Michael,

John mentioned that you guys are doing an excursion to Alhambra Palace with the group from the Roll Call? I assume this is a private excursion that you or someone else is organizing? If there’s still room left, we would be interested in the details and might join you.

Hi, Randy! We are at 30 people for this excursion that we're doing through the main roll call - but if we get up to 40 the tour company is going to DRASTICALLY reduce the per person charge. So I would encourage you to contact the folks there (I believe Michael gave you the email). It should be nice!

We will be sailing with Reflection and looking forward to the Beaches of Normandy! This is a bucket list item I am really glad to be able to cross off.

We have sailed several Celebrity ships our last was Panama Canal E/B on Millinium. Splurging on this one, originally in a Signature Suite but recently switched to RS after the renderings of the SS came out. Also concerned about noise from the club adjacent to them. We have had an RS in the past and really liked it.

KG/PG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am on board this sailing the 19th cruise for me and the first one for my BFF. Any suggestions on side trips? I have been to Amsterdam and Barcelonia and Paris (by plane in the 90's) Any idea what you are planning on seeing?:o

Archived