British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

Dear Emily,

I loved your reviews!! The enthusiasm you showed so overshadows those that post complaints about minor things.

I think your postings are great for any new cruiser to help them enjoy their first cruise!

I do have one question, however, unless you got a deal on American Airlines, I would fly British Airways direct from Los Angeles to London in 10 hours.

They are partners, and I think you can use your AA miles on BA.

Oh yes, I was really hoping to fly Virgin Atlantic or British Airways. The only reason why we used American is because we wanted to fly out of Ontario, CA (to have my parents drop us off and to watch our dog) and American has the side-by-side seats (2 seats) without a third person so we wouldn't be squished next to a stranger for 11 hours.

Hi Emily

What a great review......it was like reading a good book was really sad when we got to the last chapter. Was nice seeing how people view our lovely country.

Good luck with the baby making :)

Thanks again Sheilagh

Ha, thanks! And yes, we LOVED your country. Believe me, if it weren't for my mortgage, job, and family -- I would pack my suitcases tonight and move to the UK. (The beautiful Olympics isn't helping any as well!)

I'm starting a blog for the journey to the new addition in our life (if/when that happens) and will register a ".com", so I'll be writing in some form over the next year just for fun.

Anxiously awaiting the British Isles trip reports of the August cruisers! :rolleyes:

Edited by DeloreanGirl

I'm just loving the 3 ring binder idea. I'm a Virgo and tend to obsessively plan out each port of call whenever we take a vacation. We don't leave for our British Isles cruise until next year and I'd already started trying to figure out how I was going to manage it all. Usually I just staple together a little packet of information for each port of call, but I could see that for a longer cruise the papers would be slipping all over in my suitcase. Your way is much better. I even went to the office supply store over the weekend and bought a binder, little tab dividers for each day, and some zipper pockets (they attach inside the binder) to hold smaller items like tickets. Our British Isles cruise next year will be so much more organized thanks to you!

I'm just loving the 3 ring binder idea. I'm a Virgo and tend to obsessively plan out each port of call whenever we take a vacation. We don't leave for our British Isles cruise until next year and I'd already started trying to figure out how I was going to manage it all. Usually I just staple together a little packet of information for each port of call, but I could see that for a longer cruise the papers would be slipping all over in my suitcase. Your way is much better. I even went to the office supply store over the weekend and bought a binder, little tab dividers for each day, and some zipper pockets (they attach inside the binder) to hold smaller items like tickets. Our British Isles cruise next year will be so much more organized thanks to you!

That sounds perfect! Yes, with 9 ports it was a lot to plan. Since I started planning the cruise 13 months out, I pretty much dedicated a month to each port. One month I would research Guernsey and go to visitguernsey.com and print out their maps along with sites and how much it would cost to go in museums, etc. Then I would move onto Cork, then the Scottish stops, etc. By the time I was done, I had all sorts of fun stuff printed out and hole-punched in the binder. As long as I had that binder on me, I knew all my tickets and reservations and barcodes to scan were safe. :)

Happy cruising!

so glad the weather was nice for you in Greenock ( my home town)

Jay Leno's mother was originally from Greenock

I vaguely remember reading his book, "Leading With My Chin" and him talking about his parents. We are big Leno fans out here -- mostly because it's the west coast and also because he went to Emerson College, the same school as my husband. I have a framed photo of my hubby, his dad, and Leno with their arms around each other on my travel shelf! I will have to share that Greenock tidbit though, I never knew that!

I started out with a large three-ring binder with port reviews, cruise reviews, and all kinds of what I thought were important papers and thought, well, this is overkill.:eek: So I started keeping electronic copies in iBooks on my iPad/iPhone, as well as Dropbox - very efficient, convenient and portable.:) But I still like to have hard copies just in case, so I weeded some papers out and moved them into a 1-inch binder. Well, that was perfect.:) Then when I was packing, I was so concerned about the weight of my carryon vs. Virgin Atlantic's ridiculous 13-pound weight carryon limit, and sadly the 1-inch binder became a business-size accordian envelope containing just the most important papers (hotel check in, boarding passes, tour reservations). As it turns out, it was just the perfect size - large enough to hold everything, but compact enough to carry around in my backpack when in port.:)

Great review! Thanks so much for sharing.

Agreed..this is by far the best review I have read on CC. And all the additional questions and posts are a big help in planning our cruise on Celebrity (pretty much the same itinerary) next August. Thanks for posting.

Carolyn

Agreed..this is by far the best review I have read on CC. And all the additional questions and posts are a big help in planning our cruise on Celebrity (pretty much the same itinerary) next August. Thanks for posting.

Carolyn

Hi again Carolyn,

Hope the Word doc helped you. Lots of folks are doing the Celebrity cruise line version. The itinerary is still fantastic. I need to catch up on the trip reports from July & August folks. I think this will be it until 2013. :)

Having the Olympics in London did not help with my obsession/fascination with the UK. :eek: ;)

Please keep posting as we will be anxious to know if ya'll have a baby ~ if not keep cruising :) Karen

LOL. I'm hoping to start a family blog. I'll probably attach the address to it in my signature in the future. And if not, then yes, cruises are absolutely in the future! (I guess it's win-win? :rolleyes:)

Part I: Introduction

It was the trip of a lifetime, and I can assure you that no question on the Princess or British Isles message board is too silly, too repetitive, or not important enough. The folks on these boards are helpful beyond all belief (I’m looking at you, John Bull, TowncarT, Mrs. Moho and Shogun) and I couldn’t have had such a successful vacation without everyone’s input. :D

Next chapter: Packing, Prepping & Perspiring

It was a real pleasure to help out someone who was obviously so keen to learn about the places she was visiting. I'm sure the others you mention felt exactly the same.:)

so when are you coming back to Scotland, next time you might need your passport

Here's hoping!;)

It was a real pleasure to help out someone who was obviously so keen to learn about the places she was visiting. I'm sure the others you mention felt exactly the same.:)

Here's hoping!;)

Don't worry, the hubby and I fell in love badly with the UK and were really bummed about flying home to California. We're ready to move to the UK ASAP! (In a perfect world, of course...) :rolleyes:

Don't worry, the hubby and I fell in love badly with the UK and were really bummed about flying home to California. We're ready to move to the UK ASAP! (In a perfect world, of course...) :rolleyes:

Well maybe for a start, you could swap your weather for ours. I think I'm going to start building an ark!!!

• 1 month later...

Emily,

THANK YOU for a wonderful BI review. We are going next August, mostly for the Tattoo and Normandy Beach. I too am a very organized person. I just labeled two 13 folder binders and will condense into a smaller one when leaving for the cruise. I love the planning part, builds the excitment of everything!!

Hope to catch you on a cruise someday

Nancy

Emily,

THANK YOU for a wonderful BI review. We are going next August, mostly for the Tattoo and Normandy Beach. I too am a very organized person. I just labeled two 13 folder binders and will condense into a smaller one when leaving for the cruise. I love the planning part, builds the excitment of everything!!

Hope to catch you on a cruise someday

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Glad to hear I'm not alone with my obsessive planning! You are going to have a great time next August!!

Hi Nancy,

Glad to hear I'm not alone with my obsessive planning! You are going to have a great time next August!!

We're getting ready to sail on the CB in about a week and a half...wondering if you got your ship model, or if you still have an APB out for it!

Alice and Bob

We're getting ready to sail on the CB in about a week and a half...wondering if you got your ship model, or if you still have an APB out for it!

Alice and Bob

Hi Alice & Bob,

Yes, someone found the model! They took a photo of it and brought it home. I'm still awaiting their email with the cost of shipping.

However, I'm thinking it's the small model. I have a hunch that they don't make the bigger 10" cast resin ones anymore. But hey, I'll take it! I'd rather have a smaller ship than no ship.

Enjoy the CB!! It's a great ship (and I hope they've bought all new mattresses by now!)

• 2 months later...