Transportation Issues in Marseille

readytoembark

We just got back yesterday from a Mediterranean cruise.

This may be considered common sense to most of you but for people like me… thought I should give a heads up about getting transportation from the cruise terminal into Marseille.

There were seven of us and our plan was to catch a couple cabs from the cruise terminal to the train station and then take the fast train to Avignon. I bought train tickets over the internet in advance for a 9:36 AM departure from Marseille.

Our ship docked at 8:00 and I had heard it was a 10 to 15 minute cab ride to the train station so thought if we were off the ship before 8:30 we shouldn’t have any problems getting to the train station…

As planned we were off the ship and in the line to catch a cab by 8:30. The problem we encountered is that the cab drivers were refusing to take people into town or to the train station. They only wanted all day fares - lots of angry cruisers in line.

We decided to catch the RCL shuttle into town. They charged $25 per person which while annoying wasn’t the end of the world – the bigger problem was that they were waiting to fill up the shuttle and then had to bring the list of people back onto the ship to charge our accounts and then once in town we would have to catch a bus to the train station. Bottom line is that they didn’t think we would be able to make the train.

We noticed some cabs located outside of the terminal parking lot behind a chain link fence and went to see if we could get any of them to take us to the train station. This got the attention of a couple drivers inside the parking lot who followed us. Some arguments between the drivers ensued and then finally there was an agreement to bring us to the train station. On the way to the train we endured a lecture from the cab driver about strikes and the unreliability of the train but in the end were just thankful to get a ride. The ride to the station took at least 30 minutes and we BARELY made our train.

When the day was finished we didn’t have any problems with availability of cabs from the station to the cruise ship. However there was a van there that could have taken all seven of us but the cab drivers talked to each other and would only take us in two cars. They also wanted the men to go in one cab and the women in the other. We agreed to the two cabs but refused to separate the men from the women.

Avignon was wonderful but to be frank, my blood pressure still rises when I think about the stress the cab drivers caused. If I find myself docked in Marseille again, I’ll be spending the day on the cruise ship.

I feel the need to jump in on this topic. We have often suggested that cruisers not waste the time or effort in buying train tickets in advance for French and Italian regional trains. Of course if you want to take the TGV train to Avignon (which is a bit of a hassle since the TGV station is located outside of the center whereas the regional trains go to a different station located very close to the walled old city) then you should probably reserve and purchase in advance. But the regional trains are similar to commuter trains where there are often no reservations and you can always get tickets at the last minute (it can happen that its standing room only but that is rare).

The problem you encounted with taxis in Marseille not wanting to take the short hauls (to the station) is pretty common in many European ports including Cannes, Villefranche, Livorno (often the worst), Civitavecchia, etc. Most of the time you can eventually get a taxi for those short hauls but it sometimes mean being a bit assertive and also asking the drivers if they can please call a taxi that will do the short haul.

Hank

I would be more upset with a cruise line charging $25 for a bus to town. The last time I was in Marseilles (on a HAL ship), the local merchants subsidized a shuttle bus so it cost us one Euro to go from the ship to town. The return was free. They actually had a lady at a card table collecting money as you boarded the bus. They dropped us right on the water front by the little sightseeing train. I wonder if RCL collected to charter a bus and make some money?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid Marseille taxi drivers have a bad reputation - a small group of nine were last year the subject of a police investigation - for tax and social security fraud as well as cheating passengers! These are likely just a few bad apples, of course, and I expect you'll find the same in most other big cities.

On a related subject, I wanted to give a heads-up re the huge building site on Marseille's Old Port and how this is affecting such things as the calanque boat trips, the little tourist train, taxi rank, etc. It's likely to last until early next year. Full details here: http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles/practical-information-travel-food-climate/20-how-to-get-around-marseille.html#works

I would be more upset with a cruise line charging $25 for a bus to town. The last time I was in Marseilles (on a HAL ship), the local merchants subsidized a shuttle bus so it cost us one Euro to go from the ship to town. The return was free. They actually had a lady at a card table collecting money as you boarded the bus. They dropped us right on the water front by the little sightseeing train. I wonder if RCL collected to charter a bus and make some money?

I think it is the port authority that charges the fee for the shuttle. Marseilles has, by far, the most expensive shuttles at port. Most are about 5 Euros.

Archived