Digital Camera Help

emsachs

We are going on our first Alaska cruise in mid June (inside passage RT Vancouver on HAL Volendam).

I was wondering what kind of camera(s) we should take.

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix 4300.

This is a compact camera and works OK.

We aren't the greatest with technology, but haver gotten some decent pictures with the 4300.

I was thinking we should buy a good pro (SLR) type Digital Camera (like Digital Rebel or similar).

This way we could attach a zoom lens/wide angle etc......

Also, we were thinking of taking both cameras. (small one for excursions etc..)

Do we need to do this?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for us??

Thanks

I recently purchased a new digital camera for our upcoming Alaska cruise this August. I have an older Nikon Coolpix 950 and wanted something newer. We also have an older Cannon Rebel SLR camera. After looking at many models and reading a lot of reviews we decided to buy a Nikon Coolpix 8800. We did look at the digital rebel and could have used the lenses we already have. The Nikon 8800 is SLR like but not a SLR digital camera. It has a 10X optical zoom, 15 scene modes and takes great pictures and video. What it came down too in the end is the portability of a non SLR camera. I really didn't feel like hauling the extra lenses around. We purchased the camera at a camera store and even they steered me in that direction even though they could have made more money on a digital SLR. I am not a good photographer and don't even know much about photography but with all those scene modes it makes it so easy to get great pictures. I purchased it in February and am having fun learning it.

My wife and I just got the new Canon Digital Rebel XT a week ago and all I can say is WOW !! Its an 8 mb SLR and boy does it take awesome pictures. We also have a Canon Sureshot A80 4 mb digital camera along with an Canon Rebel SLR film camera. We plan on taking all of these because I plan on shooting tons of pictures on our first cruise to Alaska this Sept. The auto mode on the Rebel XT is just as easy as a point and shoot and the picture clarity is unbelievable! Actually very easy to use camera. Of course being so new it is a little pricey but I think well worth it. We dont know when we will make it back to Alaska as there are alot of other places in this world we want to visit. Good luck with whatever you chose and have a great trip !!!

Beth & Jeff:)

I have a 4mp Canon that I'm planning on taking on some excursions (horse back riding) just because of the portablility. I have a Minolta Maxxum 35mm that works great but just got the Minolta 7D digital to be able to use my minolta lenses that I already have. I'm taking them both and probabably a ridiculous amount of compact flash. (I bought a minidrive that is 4 gig!) Luckily the shop I bought the 7d from offers classes in digital photography and I'm having a lot of fun playing with it. Now, my DH want to also take the 35mm so he can play the old fashion way..............we should have all the photo-ops covered, don't you think? My philosphy, it's better to have and not need than to need and not have!

do you think this is getting carried away

There are some absolutely insane deals on digital SLR's right now. The digital Rebel can be purchased in a kit with an 18-55mm zoom which is a good walkaround camera. Canon also makes a nice 75-300mm zoom with internal stabilization that would give you an outfit that will cover most situations that arise. If you've got an extra $1500 lying around you could get this outfit and a couple of extra memory cards. Granted, it's not as portable as a digital point and shoot but you're buying it for it's capabilities, not it's portability.

I am studying cameras right now! Need help. I used a Minolta 35mm SLR for many years and loved it and it always took great pictures. Then we "went digital" a couple of years ago and bought a Kodak LS 443. It is a fine camera but the delay and the fact that it is only a 3X zoom makes me want more. Not so good for Alaska and we are headed that way in August! Need fast action and much better "zoom". So I am researching now. Should I go with a good 10X point & shoot or spend the bigger bucks and go SLR? Any input? I have a small fortune spent in SD memory cards and the Pentax ist DS is the only DSLR I can find that uses those. Anyone familiar with the Pentax?

Sam

I just purchased a Konica Minalta Dimage Z 5. It has 12 X Optical zoom, with 5 MP. It has anitshake and will take video clips. We purchased it at Costco. Another CC member informed me that I could have purchased it through B & H photo catologs, but our cruise is here and I need the time to become profecient with it before we leave. There are several reviews about it that are on the internet.

I just got a Nikon Coolpix 4800 after having coolpix 995. Has 8.3 optical zoom in addition to digital zoom. From what I understand, optical zoom is most important. Rather than buy new lenses ($$), I opted for disposable panoramic cameras for wide shots. Coolpix 4800 has many different scene modes. I hope I can master it before 6/29 Volendam cruise. This camera also uses SD cards. I also have Canon sure-shot-an older model but still does great pics.

Archived